Cutler discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutler discussion

This morning I had a thought (hopefully not the only one for the day).

This year we have been running a lot of spread formations. Teams know that we are going to do this and have not had to honor the run, therefore causing them to drop 7 and even 8 into coverage at times.

Is it conceivable that this has accounted for some of Cutler's struggles this year, since this is the first year he has really run the spread on a consistent basis?

Thoughts (of the non-combative kind preferrably )?
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Cutler

If he's running the spread offense, someone plaese tell Cutler that spread does not mean he has to spread the ball around to the other team as well.

Comment

Cutler is a joke...need new QB ASAP
      Free Sports Betting BettorFan.com - Free Sports Betting. Win Real Cash.

Comment

Originally posted by bettorfan View Post
        Cutler is a joke...need new QB ASAP
        Thats your opinion.

I disagree, but in the next few years your going to have a different tune about him.

It sad, in his 3rd year, 2nd year actually starting that you expect the world from the guy.

Comment

Id agree that opposing team dont picture Denver as a running threat as much as they worry about Marshell and company. After all , our recieving core rocks!!
          But I dont feel that its the problem with Jay, if there is one. The QB is always the one to catch the blame. Jay said it himself "alot things have to go right for him to look good" The D overplaying the pass is one of those things
          adopted Bronco-#46 Spencer Larson
          The D is back in Denver

Bleeding Orange and Blue since 1971

Comment

I agree that not having a consistent running game has made life more difficult for Cutler, however in my opinion, I think he is still struggling with his checkdowns. It seems to me he is still trying to force the ball too much to covered receivers when many times he has a wide open receiver somewhere on the field (usually 5-7 yds down field) Obviously, the more time he has in the pocket to observe, the more likely he will be to find the open man, but I think he's had good pass protection, for the most part, this year.

All that being said, this is all much easier said than done, so I am definitely not being overly critical here.
            Geaux Tigers

Comment

I don't think that has been Cutlers problem. He is just young and inconsistent right now. Along with the rest of the offense being extremely young, it makes for an extremely inconsistent team. Dropped balls have played a big part of it.

He has had a few games this year where he was just off target the entire time. I couldn't tell you what causes this but he just can't connect with his receivers some games. He will get better as time goes on though.

Even with inconsitent play, he has outplayed most QB's in their first couple years of starting. A ton of really good QB's didn't put up near the numbers Cutler has when they where young. The kid has a ton of skill and potential. I wouldn't want anyone else on this team. Anyone that would just doesn't get it. By it, I mean the game of football.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
                Thats your opinion.

I disagree, but in the next few years your going to have a different tune about him.

It sad, in his 3rd year, 2nd year actually starting that you expect the world from the guy.
                I'm not getting into the technicals of Cutler's tenure as an NFL quarterback. The bottom line is it's his third year, he's had three training camps, three mini-camps, three preseasons, and enough games to, at the very least, maintain more consistency and not try to bomb the ball downfield on every pass when he has receivers wide-open in the middle of the field. My concern with Cutler is I'm not seeing significant improvement from last season to this season. He'll finish with more yards and touchdowns, but his turnovers are up and he's not taking what the defense is giving him - a true mark of a great quarterback.

I do think he'll eventually turn it around, though. I think he needs a consistent running game and it'll improve. But I think the turnovers HAVE TO be reduced and I need to see him willing to dink-and-dunk when it's not there downfield.
                sigpic

Comment

I think our lack of running game is making things harder. Cutler now has to find the tighter windows... he's finding 8 dropping back each and every play. People as "why is he forcing" when many times its the only option. Teams aren't at ALL concerned with any running game, and thus aren't even really playing against it. Why would they?

Cutler is having a lot put on his back... but when we had healthy running game things weren't this hard. There is a corrilation. Cutler is going to be a VERY good QB for us. I just find it funny how quickly people expect GREAT play from these guys. He's inconsistent right now..... so what?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    I think our lack of running game is making things harder. Cutler now has to find the tighter windows... he's finding 8 dropping back each and every play. People as "why is he forcing" when many times its the only option. Teams aren't at ALL concerned with any running game, and thus aren't even really playing against it. Why would they?

Cutler is having a lot put on his back... but when we had healthy running game things weren't this hard. There is a corrilation. Cutler is going to be a VERY good QB for us. I just find it funny how quickly people expect GREAT play from these guys. He's inconsistent right now..... so what?
                    I think it's because he was inconsistent his rookie season, he was inconsistent last season, and he's inconsistent now, that have people concerned.

I think expectations were high for Cutler this year, by Shanahan's and Cutler's own admission, and although I think Cutler's performance has been adequate for the most part, I do think the turnovers are concern (not even so much the INTs but the fumbles are especially alarming), and I think he almost refuses to dink-and-dunk the ball when that's all that is there.

I agree with you - a solid running game will turn it around significantly. But I think it's obvious that we're going to have to be A LOT more patient with him than we were with even Griese or Plummer.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                      I'm not getting into the technicals of Cutler's tenure as an NFL quarterback. The bottom line is it's his third year, he's had three training camps, three mini-camps, three preseasons, and enough games to, at the very least, maintain more consistency and not try to bomb the ball downfield on every pass when he has receivers wide-open in the middle of the field. My concern with Cutler is I'm not seeing significant improvement from last season to this season. He'll finish with more yards and touchdowns, but his turnovers are up and he's not taking what the defense is giving him - a true mark of a great quarterback.

I do think he'll eventually turn it around, though. I think he needs a consistent running game and it'll improve. But I think the turnovers HAVE TO be reduced and I need to see him willing to dink-and-dunk when it's not there downfield.
                      I agree, he still has a lot to work on.

For the moment, this team has defense problems and a lack of running game. So Cutler has to carry his team and its showing since he is trying to make things happen that arent there.

We just have to be patient, the next few years of drafts and shoring up the D, I feel this team will be great.

Comment

Well, if we talk about being patient with him, let's understand what kind of qb he is going to be. I see him as having "Favre"-like tendencies. What I mean by that is, he is a winner. You knock him down, he gets back up and comes at you. But he's also a bit of a gun-slinger. Bottom line, he's gonna make some incredible plays, we'll watch him make some incredible comebacks and do things that few other qb's in the league could fathom doing. At the same time, we'll have to endure some boneheaded passes, (interceptions) because of his level of confidence in his ability to get the ball to a receiver.

Having said all of that, I'll take this kind of qb any day. He is young right now and still learning, and I will be patient. I think he will be a GREAT qb soon. Right now, we all see his massive potential and shades of brilliance here and there, yet it's inconsistent. (having a solid run game would help him, no doubt)
                        Geaux Tigers

Comment

Dropped passes are HUGE! like another poster stated....
                          Aside from the fact we have the most in the league...it completely kills us on down and distance....1st and 10 Cutler makes a throw for 8+ yards and the ball gets dropped...that instantly starts tilting down and distance in favor of the Defense...While he has made poor throws...if those dropped balls are catches it keeps down and distance in our favor and the defense on it's heels....If guys are making catches it also keeps from putting Cutler in long distance situations where he has to force passes...I'd like to see a lot more 1st down run plays though....and there are others that contribute to Cutlers inconsitent play as well...3 times last week Cutler drove us into scoring range and we either A.Fumbled or B.Shanked field goals.....a 13 point swing like that would have forced Oakland to pass way more often...but since it didn't happen they were able to stick with the run and protect their young QB...and wear our D out...with so many backups in on D we cannot have the much depth to rotate and keep guys super fresh...
                          "Badger my a$$ it's probably Milhouse...."

Comment

2 problems

Jay has two problems, THEY are huge ones in my opinion. 1st the lack of a running game due to injuries or whatever has forced us into a one dimentional offense. 2nd he is still staring down recievers like a rookie. The first is not his fault and may even lead to the second since he may be thinking that he has no option but to make every throw at any cost. He needs to just relax and go through his progressions, and then get rid of it, or run for whatever he can get. His running abilities are under-rated. If he does this then we will all be better off and so will the team.
                            It's not just football, its Broncos Football, there IS a difference!

God, why didn't I call Mr. Bowlen back?http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...kbl/jayjay.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 32n33 View Post
                              Jay has two problems, THEY are huge ones in my opinion. 1st the lack of a running game due to injuries or whatever has forced us into a one dimentional offense. 2nd he is still staring down recievers like a rookie. The first is not his fault and may even lead to the second since he may be thinking that he has no option but to make every throw at any cost. He needs to just relax and go through his progressions, and then get rid of it, or run for whatever he can get. His running abilities are under-rated. If he does this then we will all be better off and so will the team.
                              I would be less concerned with the forcing of the ball/turnover issue if he was getting rushed out of the pocket and/or hit on every pass. But he's been sacked SEVEN times through 11 games. So it's clear he's getting time and protection to find the open receiver.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X