Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Safety Search Continues

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...k-a-bad-habit/

In their past five games, the Broncos have started three different players at free safety. The search continues, however.

First, Calvin Lowry replaced a healthy Marlon McCree against New England, then McCree replaced Lowry the next game, against Miami. McCree then injured his left ankle, so Lowry started two more games.

But it was Roderick Rogers, who has spent much of the year on the Broncos' practice squad, who started Sunday against the Raiders. Asked what he's still looking for at the position, Shanahan said, "Just a difference maker, a difference maker at the safety position. Support the run, also cover the pass. Those guys are hard to find. We'll keep on giving people opportunities until one of them steps up and takes advantage."

It was the first NFL start for Rogers.

"It was an experience," Rogers said. "You hope to get another chance to try and improve on what you did."

"(The Broncos) wanted to see what he could do, wanted to give him a chance," Shanahan said. "He did not play as good as I was hoping he would."

Shanahan said McCree is still a couple of weeks from returning from his ankle injury. He has not practiced since suffering the injury late in the Nov. 2 loss to the Dolphins.

it looks like nothing at the safety position will get solved until the offseason...unless Shanahan gives Barrett a chance, which right now couldn't hurt us IMO :salute!:

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Still no talk about replacing Manuel. Even when McCree was in there he was better than Manuel. Still they refuse to bench Manuel.
    Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

Originally posted by Aija View Post
      Still no talk about replacing Manuel. Even when McCree was in there he was better than Manuel. Still they refuse to bench Manuel.
      No dude, sadly Marquand Manuel is our best safety..

He's the best blend of tackling ability and speed out of all of our safeties...not to mention he's a vet. Yes he plays like crap, so when we say that Manuel is our best safety, it's not a good sign.

sigpic

Comment

Would we be better with Abdullah at FS and Lynch at SS?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post

those 2 players cancel each other out. Lynch was great on run support and poor in pass coverage, Abdullah better on pass support, weak on the Run.

Would of, should of, could of, cant help the broncos right now

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
            I wish we would've kept Abdullah, he was pretty good in pass coverage and wasn't scared to at least attempt the tackle (like Lowry or McCree )

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
              I wish we would've kept Abdullah, he was pretty good in pass coverage and wasn't scared to at least attempt the tackle (like Lowry or McCree )
              Abdullah had hands of stone. But he got his hands on so many balls. We let the guy go for no reason and nothing good came of it. He's not getting any playing time and we need a starting safety.
              Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

Abdullah had hands of stone. But he got his hands on so many balls. We let the guy go for no reason and nothing good came of it. He's not getting any playing time and we need a starting safety.
                I dont know why Shanahan would just let Abdullah go like that....he might of not been anything special but he was better than anything we have now

sigpic

Comment

Agree here. Getting his hands on the ball is far superior to seeing another completion, even if he doesn't come down with it.
                  In Manning I trust.

Comment

I would look for Barrett to get the start this weekend. Hopefully he can provide something!

It was unfortunate that he missed that Special Teams tackle on the Higgins return though. I guess it shows his athletic ability in that he was the first to the ball carrier...
                    " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

On what he is looking for in a safety

"We are looking for a difference maker at the safety position. Someone who can run, support the run and also cover the pass. Those guys are hard to find, but we will keep on giving people opportunities until we find someone who steps up and takes advantage of it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSR8M4S2RA

Looks about right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
                        I would look for Barrett to get the start this weekend. Hopefully he can provide something!

It was unfortunate that he missed that Special Teams tackle on the Higgins return though. I guess it shows his athletic ability in that he was the first to the ball carrier...
                        i doubt it....but it could happen. If Rogers got a chance to start, might as well let Barrett try until McCree comes back in 2 more weeks :salute!:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Theus View Post
                          On what he is looking for in a safety

"We are looking for a difference maker at the safety position. Someone who can run, support the run and also cover the pass. Those guys are hard to find, but we will keep on giving people opportunities until we find someone who steps up and takes advantage of it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSR8M4S2RA

Looks about right to me.
                          who the hell is this kid???

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                            who the hell is this kid???
                            I'm not that impressed with that guy. That video just showed QB's throwing it right to the guy. But hey, what do I know.

Comment

safety

Eddie Royal's brother..

Comment

Working...
                              X