Do We HAVE to start Barrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do We HAVE to start Barrett

Well its come to this. Our Safety situation is down to Lowry Manuel, McCree, and Barrett. Rodgers was just released after beating out Lowry for the spot.

I think at this point we almost HAVE to start Barrett. The simple fact is the rest of the safeties suck, and after waiting for almost 3/4 the year we finally realize the situation isnt going to fix itself.

The other side of this is to see exactly what we have in Barrett to see how dire our situation is at safety for next year, this could be a etermining factor in whether we take a safety in the first round.

I hope Barrett gets a shot, we shouldnt try to reign him in either. We need to see how he uses his athleticism to make plays. Obviously he will make mistakes but we really need to gage where he's at right now to see if he will be ready to make a contribution either now or in the near future or perhaps not at all.
    A book I wrote

I think they would have started him if he was ready to fill the position... they obvously don't believe he'll do better or he'd be in.

Comment

i have a feeling he mights start next week. with rogers gone, i'm hoping shannahan is smart enough to realize lowry and mannuel arn't getting any better. if anything, at least barrett is fast can make up for the mistakes hes gonna make. we are playing against coles and keller, two of the fastest WRs and TEs in the league.
      disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Rogers DIDN'T beat out Lowry, Lowry just sucked his way to being benched. He can't tackle and takes poor angles. Shanahan wanted to give Rogers a chance and he kind of blew it. I would hope that Barrett gets a chance this Sunday, but it is highly unlikely IMO. Expect Marlon McCree to reclaim his starting FS position after the game vs. the New York Jets :salute!:

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

I find it hard to understand how we shot ourselves right in the foot regarding the FS/SS positions. We benched/released team leader and tackler supreme Lynch because he was too slow to cover, then released Abdullah because he wanted to be the starter (attitude problems?). Then, all we got are a bunch of scrubs who can barely tackle and can't cover. What about Lowry? The guy was just signed and in the blink of an eye he was starting against NE, showing us all his "ability". Maybe even Paymah would play better at FS than the current guys. We got a lot of offseason work to do, hopefully even spend a draft pick on a safety.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
            I find it hard to understand how we shot ourselves right in the foot regarding the FS/SS positions. We benched/released team leader and tackler supreme Lynch because he was too slow to cover, then released Abdullah because he wanted to be the starter (attitude problems?). Then, all we got are a bunch of scrubs who can barely tackle and can't cover. What about Lowry? The guy was just signed and in the blink of an eye he was starting against NE, showing us all his "ability". Maybe even Paymah would play better at FS than the current guys. We got a lot of offseason work to do, hopefully even spend a draft pick on a safety.
            We released Lynch because he asked to be released, not because he was too slow to cover. He was in our plans be be our starting safety, but get off of the field on passing downs and he didn't like that. He asked Shanahan to released him so he could "explore his opportunities elsewhere"

sigpic

Comment

That's right, Lynch would be benched for McCree to be the starter.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                That's right, Lynch would be benched for McCree to be the starter.
                No, Lynch would still be the starter but come off of the field on 3rd down and obvious passing situations :salute!:

sigpic

Comment

trust me dude, I'm no slouch. I am a Lynch expert () I LOVE John Lynch....and it would be easy to see that if I had my sig :thumb:

sigpic

Comment

I keep hearing this "we HAVE to start Barrett".. and "Why not, it can't get worse, lets see what he can do."

Thats crap... coaches don't have the benefit of just throwing away a game for a "try-out" game for a player they haven't deemed to be good enough to be on the field to begin with.

This isn't about whats on the field and whats best for the team. People want to DEMAND we start practice-squad members because THEY are curious to see them play... thats it. The coaches are NOT curious. They cant' just "throw him out there and see how he does" because don't have the luxury of simply putting players they find to be lesser players for a "try."

The coaches... head-coaches and position-coaches.. meet together and decide WHO is best to put into the mix by the way they are PLAYING at practice. They can't afford to simply ignore what they see at practice so that the CURIOUS fans can see another player on the field. They are trying to WIN games by putting the best players on the field based on the knowledge and observations they see EACH AND EVERY day at practices and practice tapes.

Just because some of our couch-coaches think that the "try it and lets see" works well in Madden, doesn't mean its the best thing to do in the real NFL. They can't push "restart" when it doesn't work. If you don't think it can be worse.... think again. It CAN be worse. If he hasn't shown the knowledge and skill to get onto the field before now, than it VERY MUCH can be worse. There is a reason he hasn't even been put on the active roster... not even for special teams.

Comment

Barrett is on the active roster Ravage And the Broncos have proved themselves not to be afraid of giving an inexperienced player a shot (Larsen, Woodyard, Roderick Rogers, etc.) Barrett has every right to get a shot just like Rogers did last week...at least until McCree comes back

sigpic

Comment

This leads me to believe the broncos will be going after another FS and S in the FA market come next year.

I know its early, but what big names contracts are up next year?

I think this is a position the team needs a VET leader at, agree?

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                          This leads me to believe the broncos will be going after another FS and S in the FA market come next year.

I know its early, but what big names contracts are up next year?

I think this is a position the team needs a VET leader at, agree?
                          In free agency there aren't any good Safeties coming out....so this is a problem that looks to be solved during the draft....

here are the safeties POTENTIALLY available:
                          http://www.theredzone.org/2009/freea...asp?Position=S

Some okay safeties on that^^^ list
                          O.J. Atogwe
                          Brian Dawkins
                          Sean Jones
                          Jermaine Phillips
                          That's about it

sigpic

Comment

I don't get the Lowery thing either. Someone was joking that Paymah would be better, but that's a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                              I don't get the Lowery thing either. Someone was joking that Paymah would be better, but that's a fact.
                              Lowry is HORRIBLE I wouldn't mind trying out Paymah at Free Safety, he has the speed and he's a very good tackler...I just wonder why Shanahan wouldn't give Paymah a look their Unfortunately, I doubt that Paymah gets a new contract so that we can "try him out" at Safety...because he's a horrible cornerback

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X