No announcement yet.

Why Playoff Appearance Means So Much...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Playoff Appearance Means So Much...

We are 2 games up on SD with 5 to go, and currently hold the tiebreaker, so for the sake of argument, I am going to say we get in the playoffs this year, nasty style.

No one wants to get there like this, but once you are in it truly is the second season, and it doesn't matter how you got there.

The first reason it means so much to get there is the obvious: Any Given Sunday. The 2005-2006 Pittsburgh Steelers are a great example of just getting hot at the right time and doing something unexpected. (They were 7-5 after a week 13 loss that season)
    After showing glimpses of his true potential, I really feel that Jay Cutler has some of that Elway in him that often willed his team to victories, despite being overall inferior talent-wise. Basically, if we get in the playoffs, no matter what it looks like - we DO have a chance to win the Superbowl.

The other reason is the more probable and realistic - the experience gained from just being there, even for a game. Going into this season, we had the second youngest team at 26.2 years average (Only Packers were younger)
    The journey means everything, and for the great players, getting to the playoffs and losing is often the big turning point from young and talented to experienced and savvy. Being so close to the prize and missing it brings out the true competitive nature. Look at Elway, imagine how badly he wanted it from right after the 55-10 loss in 1990 up until his chance vs. the Packers in 1998. If you followed closely, that time period was Elway's prime, and his hunger for redemption drove him.

Just something to think about, instead of being caught up in us "not deserving" our playoff spot.

You are right about it not really mattering how you get to the playoffs, since it is essentially a whole new season. If the Broncos take the division, they could certainly get "hot" at the right time and win out. Realistically speaking, you might get some disagreement from your fellow Bronco fans. It always happens. Stay positive. A lot of us have written off the season as a total bust, but, deep down inside we all hold out hope.

By the way, not to be disagreeable or anything, but does Denver still hold the tie-breaker now that the Bolts divisional record is better?? Just asking.
    (I haven't given up hope, either)

Comment

Originally posted by BoltNut View Post
      You are right about it not really mattering how you get to the playoffs, since it is essentially a whole new season. If the Broncos take the division, they could certainly get "hot" at the right time and win out. Realistically speaking, you might get some disagreement from your fellow Bronco fans. It always happens. Stay positive. A lot of us have written off the season as a total bust, but, deep down inside we all hold out hope.

By the way, not to be disagreeable or anything, but does Denver still hold the tie-breaker now that the Bolts divisional record is better?? Just asking.
      I have the same question, now that we lost to the Raiders what is the playoff ramification regarding divisional record vs season record. Here's hoping we beat KC. I have tickets to that game.
      [sigpic

Comment

I agree with almost every thing you said Wolverine83, cp to you.

The only thing i disagree with and it may be hard to understand is; Not wanting to get in the playoffs like this.

Here's why, its the whole Miami thing this year, Steelers the year they won. Its the underdog story or state of mind on our part and our opponites. If home field is unatainable why not create a sense of hey were not that good so don't prepare for us and a sense of man we must not be that good so lets give more to obtain what we want, like psychological warfar or something.

All im really trying to get across is getting to the playoffs "like this" may be a blessing in disquise.

When i play pool against an inferior person I almost always lose, when i play against someone really good I almost always win. I think its the underdog in me psychologicaly speaking. Pool and football are way different things but the mind inside the player is relativly the same.
        I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

Yea, and it really doesn't matter how the CHuggers get there either. If they put something together here down the run, the Chuggers will be a nasty team. It's going to be tough. The Broncos had the chance to put them down and out for the season and still can't get it done. Good teams put away crap teams (Chiefs, Raiders). Unless they can get at least three more wins, I don't see them making it, unfortunately.
          Don't Panic!

Comment

Originally posted by broncofan2415 View Post
            Yea, and it really doesn't matter how the CHuggers get there either. If they put something together here down the run, the Chuggers will be a nasty team. It's going to be tough. The Broncos had the chance to put them down and out for the season and still can't get it done. Good teams put away crap teams (Chiefs, Raiders). Unless they can get at least three more wins, I don't see them making it, unfortunately.
            Right now, I'd say the Bolts were doing everything they can to insure the Broncos get to the playoffs. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BoltNut View Post

The tiebreaker I was referring to is - as of now, we have the tiebreaker against SD because we won the head to head matchup.
              The next tiebreaker after head to head is division record as far as i know, followed by conference record.

Comment

wait a minute wolverine :nono:

you mean to tell me, hypothetically speaking of course, if the broncos finish say 7-9 and still win the division out right we still have a chance in, what did you call it again, THE PLAYOFF'S, i do believe that is the term you used...

and even if, lets say the Titans finish this Regular season at 15-1... and then they magically enter, THIS PLAYOFF'S THINGY.....

so after all these games... no matter what record teams have... when they enter the PLAYOFF'S... all the teams HAVE 0 WINS AND 0 LOSES...

i dont catch your reasoning and the broncos should just not even try to enter the playoffs, they are a bad and horrible team
                sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by Wolverine83 View Post
                  The tiebreaker I was referring to is - as of now, we have the tiebreaker against SD because we won the head to head matchup.
                  The next tiebreaker after head to head is division record as far as i know, followed by conference record.
                  True dat, head to head comes first. So really.... a "tie breaker" doesn't matter if we a) lose in week 17 to them and have an inferior conference record or b) the season DOES end for some strange and miraculous reason because Im sure that strange and miraculous reason would be bigger then the game.
                  *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                  *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                  *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

i think if our players get healthy, and there are no more injuries we could have a serious shot at the afc championship game if not the Superbowl.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luke93 View Post
                      i think if our players get healthy, and there are no more injuries we could have a serious shot at the afc championship game if not the Superbowl.
                      And we quit turning over the ball. We certainly have enough offense to play with anyone if we are healthy.
                      sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

OK first off... We have NOT won this division yet. The Chargers, still could do that which leads us to week 17 in San Diego. THAT game my friends could STILL decide it depending on how and what happens between now and then.

IF we do win this division... AND we are obviously in the playoffs because of it, then this Bronco team MUST win the first round. Being there won't change certain attitudes or satisfy the hunger if we don't at least win a PO game.

If we make it to the first round, and lose, then God help these boards as we will once again go into total nuclear meltdown mode. We will be firing the weather man on channel 9 and blaming it on the grass in the stadium.

I for one thought the Bolts would win this division and we would fight and claw for a wildcard spot. Obviously the wildcard will not be coming out of the AFC West and now it's down to the division winner, which quite frankly, has ZERO chance in the AFC no matter WHO ends up in that spot.

Let's face it.. we have work to do beyond this year.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luke93 View Post
                          Thats what I like to hear!!!

Comment

I am Not giving up on ****!!!!!! We are 6-5 with what 5 games lleft? So If we win out the rest of the games! You can't argue with 'IF" because anything is possible. That puts us at 11-5 That to me is a good Decent Record and will clinch the Division and possibly a Home Game or a Bye so To all the NEGATIVE NANY"S OUT THERE! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** THE JETS KICK THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF THEM!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Agree a playoff would be huge.

Get Cutler the experience. Plus it will be a home game if we hang onto the division. That should be a win. You win that game and you go on the road. If we can pull off an upset and with this offense, we can; we could be in the AFC Championship and take our chances, 1 shot 1 kill then.
                              My favorite Broncos blog: http://broncoblogs.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X