• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Herald Discusses Our Season

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...fl#articleFull

Broncos stand out as NFL’s most baffling team
    By David Ramsey / The Gazette
    Monday, December 1, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — It’s no contest. The Denver Broncos are the most baffling team in the NFL.

How do you explain a team that loses to the pitiful Oakland Raiders at home one week and then invades Jersey to trash the powerful New York Jets the next?

You don’t. This team is beyond explanation, beyond comprehension, beyond the beyond.

No doubt, the Broncos’ 34-17 pounding of the Jets was impressive. Brett Favre and his buddies had been mauling opponents, winning seven of eight while growing into a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

During November, the Jets towered as the NFL’s hottest team with wins at New England and Tennessee. Fans were even talking about the Jets’ first journey to the Super Bowl since Joe Namath led the march to the 1969 NFL title.

Meanwhile, the Broncos found ways to lose, at home, to Miami and Oakland. In Colorado, fans were wondering how their heroes had lost their way.

You can argue, with all kinds of weighty facts, the Broncos will get crushed in the opening round of the playoffs.

This is, after all, a team that has played as poorly as any team in the NFL. Losses to the Patriots and, especially, the Raiders offered football at its most gruesome.

Yet you can also argue this team could stun the football nation in the playoffs.

The Broncos have dropped Tampa Bay, Atlanta and the Jets. Champ Bailey will soon return, and Denver rises to challenges on the road.

"I guess we play better against the top teams," said Broncos cornerback Dre Bly. "We have to find a way to be more balanced."

The Broncos head into the stretch run of the season blessed with a relaxing, kick-back scenario. Be sure to thank Norv Turner for the Broncos’ peace-of-mind.

Turner coaches the San Diego Chargers, or at least he’ll be coaching them for the next few days, or maybe hours.

The Chargers waved goodbye to playoff hopes Sunday with a loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Denver enjoys a three-game lead with four games left in the regular season.

The Broncos haven’t been brilliant, but it doesn’t matter. They have all but clinched an AFC West title.

On Sunday, a day so miserable it inspired legions of Jets fans to stay home, the Broncos were steady and even spectacular.

Jay Cutler, who thrives in fearsome conditions, easily won his quarterback duel with Favre.

Last week against Oakland, Cutler was a whining, erratic mess. Against the Jets, he took his time, searching through the rain for open receivers.

Cutler is the true face of these Broncos. Like his team, when he’s on, he’s really on. And when he’s off, he’s awful.

Tony Dungy, coach of the Indianapolis Colts, could be traveling to Denver for the first round of the playoffs. If he watches tape of Cutler dissecting the Jets defense, Dungy’s heart will fill with fear.

"We’re a young team, and we’ve had a few ups and downs," Cutler said. "November and December are when you want to start to get it together."

At the dawn of December, the Broncos look ultra-together. Of course, that might mean the Broncos will lose by 28 to the lowly Kansas City Chiefs. Inconsistency defines this team.

A few seconds after the game ended, Favre and Cutler chatted on the field. Favre is one of the top half-dozen quarterbacks in NFL history. Cutler is great one week, lousy the next.

"He was the better man tonight," Favre said.

Cutler trotted away from one of his football heroes, eager to escape the rain. He wanted to join his utterly unpredictable teammates.

CanDB's comments:

I really don't mind the reviews, which in this case, have some merit. What I really like however is the fear other playoff teams will have when facing a team like the Broncos, who may be inconsistent this year, but also bring with them the potential and definite capability of beating anyone, and I dig that about this team!!!!

Cutler's been more consistent than they give him credit for. He's only been "awful" in probably 2 games this year. It's more like he's sometimes average and sometimes amazing.
    sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos724 View Post
      Cutler's been more consistent than they give him credit for. He's only been "awful" in probably 2 games this year. It's more like he's sometimes average and sometimes amazing.
      yeah.. i think the writer exaggerated the 'awful'..... *shrugs*

Comment

Definitely overused the word awful. He's not Rex Grossman for gods sake. He's excellent, then average, then excellent again. If we can smack down the Chiefs I will be very confident with this team going into the playoffs.

Comment

Okay...the author was a bit "descriptive" shall we say. But I do believe Jay's average rating in the games we have lost (wasn't it around 65?) is quite low, especially when compared to his average rating when we win. Like they say, Jay is a major contributor in our performances...one way or the other.

Comment

hmmmmm......so possibly another first rounder with the colts.....interesting indeed......
            --bringin' the pain--

:orton:

Comment

On the Dan Patrick show today, when discussing the Broncos defeat of the Jets with Peter King, King said that the Broncos were probably the team no one wants to play in the playoffs. You don't know which team will show up. He, also said that the good Broncos could beat any team, even the Giants. Pretty high praise from an east coast journalist.

Comment

Prediction alert: If we beat San Diego in week 16, we will win at least one playoff game.

Bring on the Steelers!
                Last edited by armchair scout; 12-01-2008, 11:16 PM. Reason: typo
                vote HILLIS in 2009!

Comment

Originally posted by wandlc View Post
                  On the Dan Patrick show today, when discussing the Broncos defeat of the Jets with Peter King, King said that the Broncos were probably the team no one wants to play in the playoffs. You don't know which team will show up. He, also said that the good Broncos could beat any team, even the Giants. Pretty high praise from an east coast journalist.
                  If we play to our capabilities, we are as dangerous as any team in the league. Why would anyone be excited to come to Mile High for a playoff game. When we are on we are scary. The $64 question is what Broncos team is going to show up?
                  sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Stunning the football nation in the playoffs. Man, that'd be sweet...
                    sigpic

TZ

Comment

Good article and a surprising one considering it is an east coast paper. Most people on the east coast do not even realize the west exists
                      :logo:
                      :logo: :logo:

Air Force Falcons (0-0)(0-0)
                      Moon Twp Tigers (0-0)(0-0)
                      Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
                      Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRbn...layer_embedded

Comment

Originally posted by Canmore View Post
                        If we play to our capabilities, we are as dangerous as any team in the league. Why would anyone be excited to come to Mile High for a playoff game. When we are on we are scary. The $64 question is what Broncos team is going to show up?
                        Good Question Canmore! But my humble Opinion this game against the Jets was the Determing factor for the remainder of the season. I think the confidence level is going to be high the remainder of the year. 6 Rookies started and the veterans as well, they played a PRO-BOWL HOF QB and stomped the crap out of him. These Bronco players have alot to be proud of and I think it factors in to answering any questions this team might have had about their season up to this point.

This week will definitely be a must win for many reasons but I think the main reason will be Respect. Ever since the week 4 loss this team got into a slump before the KC game we were 3-0 and had all the confidence in the world. But we need the home win to build onto our confidence level and respect level. But this is a great week of football about to happen and we do have something special going on in Denver this year despite what has happened!

GO BRONCOS!:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                          Definitely overused the word awful. He's not Rex Grossman for gods sake. He's excellent, then average, then excellent again. If we can smack down the Chiefs I will be very confident with this team going into the playoffs.
                          I want to see an obliteration of the Chiefs, Panthers and Bills... then I'll give us serious deep playoff to Super Bowl consideration.

Comment

In reality when the defence gives us so many points and forces Cutler to throw as much as he has to in games to win it then you can't expect him to be perfect.

Against the Phins we were screwed by the refs on countless holding calls and that PI, which forced Jay to look deep and throw interceptions. He wasn't great, but I don't blame him.

Comment

my biggest problem i have with jay is. hes great when he doesn't have pressure on him. but when he does have pressure in his face jays fails miserably. againest the jets he was great BUT the one time he got pressured he throws a horrible pick. he needs to worry more about learning reading coverages and how to handle pressure in his face. then who has the strongest arm

Comment

Working...
                              X