Brandon Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Marshall

I see a few threads trashing this guy after every game. I am going to break this guy down for this board and hopefully a few of these haters will change their outlooks.

I was gonna do this in a list but then realized it would be too hard to compare fact with fiction so here it goes.

People say, oh Brandon Marshall costs our team with all his drops. FALSE. Do you watch the games? Brandon Marshall is a receiver who always wants to make the big play that helps his team, when a balls coming at him he's already planning where he wants to go with it, he's looking around the field for where he's gonna go when that ball hits his numbers.

Does he lead our team in drops? Yes. Why? Because he's a big play receiver that's wanting to do more for his team then get the five yards the coach is calling for. Is this a good trait? I think so, because 9 times out of 10 he gets the extra yards.

Originally posted by Yards After Catch
    1 Wes Welker NE 12 544
    2 Maurice Jones-Drew JAC 12 387
    3 Marshawn Lynch BUF 12 374
    4 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 12 372
    5 Andre Johnson HOU 12 343
    6 Bo Scaife TEN 12 339
    7 T.J. Houshmandzadeh CIN 12 332
    8 Kevin Faulk NE 11 321
    9 Brandon Marshall DEN 11 298
    10 Ray Rice BAL 12 295
    He's 9th in Yards After Catch, one of only four wide receivers on a list that is usually dominated by screen passed running backs. One of only two in the top ten to have only played 11 games.

Originally posted by Most Targeted Receivers
    1 Brandon Marshall DEN 11 134
    2 Andre Johnson HOU 12 130
    3 T.J. Houshmandzadeh CIN 12 122
    4 Dwayne Bowe KC 12 116
    5 Tony Gonzalez KC 12 112
    6 Wes Welker NE 12 110
    7 Braylon Edwards CLE 12 106
    8 Reggie Wayne IND 12 104
    9 Matt Jones JAC 11 101
    10 Randy Moss NE 12 99
    He's the most targeted receiver in the league with less games then most following him. This is going to translate into less caught passes.

Now look at this list and tell me how well it matches with the one above.
    Originally posted by Passes Not Caught
    1 Braylon Edwards CLE 12 64
    2 Brandon Marshall DEN 11 62
    3 Dwayne Bowe KC 12 56
    4 Santonio Holmes PIT 11 45
    T-5 Andre Johnson HOU 12 42
    T-5 Reggie Wayne IND 12 42
    T-7 T.J. Houshmandzadeh CIN 12 41
    T-7 Randy Moss NE 12 41
    9 Marvin Harrison IND 12 40
    T-10 Tony Gonzalez KC 12 39
    T-10 Chad Johnson CIN 11 39
    T-10 Matt Jones JAC 11 39
    T-10 Kellen Winslow CLE 10 39
    That's right all except Welker from the targeted list appear on this list of most passes not caught.

Originally posted by Dropped Passes
    1 Braylon Edwards CLE 12 16
    2 Dwayne Bowe KC 12 12
    3 Brandon Marshall DEN 11 9
    T-4 Anthony Gonzalez IND 12 7
    T-4 Hines Ward PIT 12 7
    T-6 Justin Gage TEN 9 6
    T-6 Chad Johnson CIN 11 6
    T-8 Laveranues Coles NYJ 12 5
    T-8 Chris Johnson TEN 12 5
    T-8 Matt Jones JAC 11 5
    T-8 Marcedes Lewis JAC 12 5
    T-8 Marshawn Lynch BUF 12 5
    His name is up there with quite a few more big name receivers. I am more than content with this guy dropping a few passes on his way to making the big play.

Don't forget we are fourth in the league in TEAM dropped passes. That means Marshall isn't the only person on our team that drops passes. I think at that point you got to point the finger somewhere else, and that finger goes to my guy, Jay Cutler. I'll be damned if he doesn't have me jumping out of my chair and cursing at the TV for some of the stupid decisions and passes he tries making. His interception statistics show that, I can guarantee you A LOT of the dropped passes on this team came with him on the run and trying to squeeze a ball into a narrow channel and complete a throw that will rarely be completed.

The one consistent thing on this team is Jay Cutler WILL NOT and REFUSES TO throw the ball away. Waste the down Jay, get rid of the ball to a receiver on the sidelines not a receiver who is in triple coverage and has no shot at the ball or a defender in the field of play.

Thanks for listening to Slosten's weekly rant (I know I already had one for the Jets game but this topic about his dropping passes and how he sucks sickens me)
    sigpic
    Hate Brandon Marshall and his drops? READ THIS!
    Super Bowl XXXII Run Statistics
    My Divisional Breakdown Thread

Our Offensive Line = Mile Wide

I good post :salute!: I still want him to hang on to the ball more, but you're right: being thrown at a lot is just going to equal more drops. No way around it.

Comment

Its not a coincidence that the players on the list of having the most balls thrown AT them, are the same ones on the list for the most drops. Thank you for the great stats.

As I've stated in other threads... Marshall is stud. He's an elite WR in the NFL (yes, he's an elite WR) that other teams literally game plan to try and take out of our offense.

Comment

I can understand why you guys like him, and I'm not arguing with you.

I actually, have done a complete 180 on the guy. I thought he was a total stud. Now I think he's more of a product of an explosive Denver system.

He continues to drop passes every game, he has plays when he's one on one and doesn't win those battles he used too, I can'ty even remember the last time he had a big run after the catch.

He also does not have a 100 hundred yard game since week 3, and he's scored 1 TD in the last 8 games.

With the explosive abilities of the Denver passing attack, I would think an elite WR would have better stats then he has.

I think he's a very good WR. I don't think he's elite, and I don't think he's even the best WR on the team.

Comment

He's always looking down field to see how he can bust out a big one, Sometimes he gets distracted I think and droops a pass because of it. I think that wears on his confidence a little.

But you know what. It's just a matter of time before he find the balance of looking down field and focusing on the catch. Then he's going to be one of the biggest threats in the NFL. We all know he's caught some amazing passes he had business catching.

Besides guys, after all that. The guy hasn't complained, Hasn't acted selfish or said anything bad about the team. He's a top 10 WR along with Eddie and we have a top 2 WR corps in the league.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post

I actually, have done a complete 180 on the guy. I thought he was a total stud. Now I think he's more of a product of an explosive Denver system.

He continues to drop passes every game, he has plays when he's one on one and doesn't win those battles he used too, I can'ty even remember the last time he had a big run after the catch.

He also does not have a 100 hundred yard game since week 3, and he's scored 1 TD in the last 8 games.

With the explosive abilities of the Denver passing attack, I would think an elite WR would have better stats then he has.

I think he's a very good WR. I don't think he's elite, and I don't think he's even the best WR on the team.
            Him and Cutler are young, they are both still geiling. They both have hit some sort of mental block. Cutler seems to have snapped out of it and I bet Marshal will to.

Remember some of those throws to Marshal when he has a guy beat were bad throws, Its not all just Marshal. Yes he has dropped some but that's all mental I think he turns the corner next week.

Yes I still think he's elite teams give him respect and almost never match up 1 on 1.
            Last edited by SlyBronco; 12-02-2008, 10:40 AM.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

when you are double covered every play, you open up the field for the rest of the other receivers. hes easily the most dangerous bronco with the ball in his hand, every team in the league knows that. how do you think royal gets man on man all day long? its not because hes our #1, its because teams dont want marshall to get the ball. do you blame them?
              sig pic removed by mod staff.
              we do not allow site advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyBronco View Post
                Him and Cutler are young, they are both still geiling. They both have hit some sort of mental block. Cutler seems to have snapped out of it and I bet Marshal will to.

Remember some times when Marshal has a guy beat were bad throws, Its not all just Marshal. Yes he has dropped some but thats all mental I think he turns the corner next week.

Yes I still think he's elite teams give him respect and almost never match up 1vs1.
                If he needs time, he isn't elite yet. He drops balls every game. I would be surprised if that changes. I don't think it really hurts the team over the course of the game, it's just what he does.

He gets 1 on 1 every game. Teams would be idiotically stupid to double him and leave Royal, Stokley, and Scheffler 1 on 1. He gets double teamed at times, just like all the good WR's do. He made some great plays through the first few games. All good WR's do. The elite ones do it over the course of the season. He hasn't been making those plays the last few weeks, and he's had plenty of opportunities.

He's a very good WR that you want to get him the ball. If people want to call him a big play threat, then he isn't the greatest pure WR, because his average per completion is something like only 13 yards, which means he gets the majority of his catches on 5-10 yard in's and curls.

He's got a few balls deep in his career, but so has Bernard Berrian.

Comment

Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post
                  when you are double covered every play, you open up the field for the rest of the other receivers. hes easily the most dangerous bronco with the ball in his hand, every team in the league knows that. how do you think royal gets man on man all day long? its not because hes our #1, its because teams dont want marshall to get the ball. do you blame them?
                  He's hardly double covered every play. Teams don't even play much man with Denver, they play zone and they blitz because they can't get to our QB.

Comment

B Marshall is an immature kid that has too many people tugging him in too many different directions, he has lost focus. He needs to remember (and so do you guys) if you don't actually catch the ball, it is pretty hard to turn it into a big play.... He needs to have somebody mentor him, CLOSELY, and get him back on the track of being a quality football player, instead of this track of being a big rock star... like T.O. or OchoCinco, Plaxico and others... that road leads to a ruined career.. Fundamentals, block effectively on plays that require you to do so, run precise routs, concentrate on catching the ball FIRST and formost, big plays will come if you are catching the ball all the time, quit all the dancing around.. cut to a gap or go straight up the field period.. you NEVER saw Jerry Rice dancing around like a fool..... Discipline and very hard work are the road to becoming an elite receiver in the NFL, Jerry Rice's career is the proof of this...

Comment

If he needs time, he isn't elite yet. He drops balls every game. I would be surprised if that changes. I don't think it really hurts the team over the course of the game, it's just what he does.

He gets 1 on 1 every game. Teams would be idiotically stupid to double him and leave Royal, Stokley, and Scheffler 1 on 1. He gets double teamed at times, just like all the good WR's do. He made some great plays through the first few games. All good WR's do. The elite ones do it over the course of the season. He hasn't been making those plays the last few weeks, and he's had plenty of opportunities.

He's a very good WR that you want to get him the ball. If people want to call him a big play threat, then he isn't the greatest pure WR, because his average per completion is something like only 13 yards, which means he gets the majority of his catches on 5-10 yard in's and curls.

Silk. Who do you consider to be Elite?? Moss? His average per catch is 13.5. Wayne's is 14. Hines Ward 12.8...Housh, 10. Boldin averages 12.1, and Fitz averages 14. This shows that he is a guy that runs the routes, and isn't one that is considered to be a DEEP bomb threat (not to mention, Jay has been having a hard time connecting on teh long ball). Who do you consider to be the "all around WR" that is beating Marshall on catches and yards-per-catch?

As far as being double covered, you are wrong here. Trent Dilfer was breaking down the game, and showed how the Jets did everything they could to keep Marshall out of the game by double coverage, zoning, and bracketing Marshall the entire game.

I'm looking down the list of WRs in the NFL...seeing how many catches they have and comparing their average yards per catch, and Marshall is in the top 7 in catches, and amongst those 7, he is #2 in yards per catch. Which means all the receivers that catch as many passes have the lower averages over the coarse of 70+ catches.

Comment

He's hardly double covered every play. Teams don't even play much man with Denver, they play zone and they blitz because they can't get to our QB.
                        You don't have to play man to double cover a WR.

Comment

Originally posted by horsehead41 View Post
                          B Marshall is an immature kid that has too many people tugging him in too many different directions, he has lost focus. He needs to remember (and so do you guys) if you don't actually catch the ball, it is pretty hard to turn it into a big play.... He needs to have somebody mentor him, CLOSELY, and get him back on the track of being a quality football player, instead of this track of being a big rock star... like T.O. or OchoCinco, Plaxico and others... that road leads to a ruined career.. Fundamentals, block effectively on plays that require you to do so, run precise routs, concentrate on catching the ball FIRST and formost, big plays will come if you are catching the ball all the time, quit all the dancing around.. cut to a gap or go straight up the field period.. you NEVER saw Jerry Rice dancing around like a fool..... Discipline and very hard work are the road to becoming an elite receiver in the NFL, Jerry Rice's career is the proof of this...
                          I'm not disputing much of what you said...

However.. did you even look at the stats given by the OP??? I ask, because you seem to be accusing Marshall of doing things that the other TOP targeted and catching WRs in the NFL are NOT doing.

Look at the stats. It VERY CLEARLY shows that the receivers that have as many balls thrown to them as Marshall, and catches.. have just as many drops.

Instead of saying its something MARSHALL is doing wrong..... how about realizing that its part of the position throughout the NFL.

Comment

the guy is a total stud, anyone who knows football can and will tell you that. Stats only tell half the story.....and anyone who argues against the skills of this guy, don't pay any attention to them they flat out don't have a clue

Comment

Nice try, 9 drops in 11 games is NOT a drop in every game and theres a good chance he had a couple in a few games so even more games he didn't have one.

He get's an average of 12 balls thrown to him each game. Let's throw you in his jersey and see you catch ONE of the rocket passes in coverage that Jay throws to you, PLUS see you make something of it after you get the ball. 0 for 12 with at least 4 drops anyone?

He hasn't had plenty of opportunities. After his 18 catch game when he came back teams started to pay attention and made it hard for him to make big plays.

Your justification seems to be that because he doesn't get touchdowns he is not a good receiver. That's Bronco crap. The most you can do to compare two receivers is yards per catch and yards total. Touchdowns don't mean crap because most touchdowns come on short plays. Unless you want to break down two receivers 70+ catches and where they were in field position then you can't compare what they did with the ball.

There are way too many factors also involved to compare touchdowns per receiver.

What?

You said earlier in the thread you can't recall the last time he did something with the ball after the catch but you say he gets the ball 5-10 yards out and his average is 13 yards.

Oh and to answer the statement you made about you can't remember the last time. You must not watch too many games, literally a month ago in Denver against Miami.

2-16-DEN 23 (:21) 6-J.Cutler pass deep right to 15-B.Marshall for 77 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on DEN-15-B.Marshall, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at DEN 23 - No Play.
                              It was a bad call that should have been a touchdown for 77 yards. Which in your opinion would have evidently made him an elite receiver.
                              Last edited by Peanut; 07-09-2013, 09:53 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Hate Brandon Marshall and his drops? READ THIS!
                              Super Bowl XXXII Run Statistics
                              My Divisional Breakdown Thread

Our Offensive Line = Mile Wide

Comment

Working...
                              X