Hillis to tight-end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillis to tight-end

I found this article and thought it was a good read. Once our running backs come back (next year) I kinda like the idea of him lining up as another tight end every once in a while. (I imagine the broncos starting in the I-formation with Hillis at FB and Alridge at RB, then having Alridge go out to Wideout and Hillis to TE. I see a quick timeout coming in that situation).

Versatility gives Hillis his shot at three positions

He started as a last-ditch solution, but after three weeks as the Broncos' primary tailback, Peyton Hillis might see his role growing even more.

Coach Mike Shanahan on Monday said he envisions Hillis getting more carries out of the backfield, lining up at fullback or on the line of scrimmage as a hybrid tight end.

Hillis rushed for 129 yards on 22 carries in Sunday's 34-17 win over the Jets, a team that had been giving up only 78 yards rushing per game. Hillis also has a 100-yard receiving game this season — when he caught seven passes for 116 yards against Miami on Nov. 2.

That kind of flexibility has Shanahan thinking that eventually the Broncos could use Hillis as the Indianapolis Colts use Dallas Clark, who at 6-feet-3 and 253 pounds is similarly sized to Hillis (6-2, 250).

"He is better with the ball in his hands at the tailback position running the football or catching a pass out of the backfield," Shana- han said. "He also can play the fullback position, which gives us a lot of flexibility."

Hillis' totals for carries and yards Sunday were career highs, and Shanahan said Hillis was feeling the effects Monday of running up against the Jets' bulky defensive front.

"I think he was hurt all over — hips, shoulders," Shanahan said. "I think he's just sore. I don't think it is anything serious."

Bailey: I'm playing.

Cornerback Champ Bailey has been listed as questionable for the last three games while recovering from a groin injury.

He might be listed that way again for Sunday's game against the Chiefs, but Bailey said Monday he will be in the game "one way or another."

"This is the best I've felt in two weeks," Bailey said. "I'm saying I'm going unless something happens."

Bailey has yet to test the groin at full speed since he was injured Oct. 20. He has missed five games this year, two more than he had missed in his first nine years in the NFL.

Haggan, Larsen rotating.

While middle linebacker Nate Webster gets closer to returning from a knee injury, the Broncos have added another linebacker to the mix.

Sunday against the Jets, Mario Haggan alternated defensive series with Spencer Larsen.

Haggan made five tackles and was credited with a sack when he touched Jets quarterback Brett Favre down for a 1-yard loss. Lar- sen, who has started the three games since Webster was injured Nov. 6 at Cleveland, had one tackle and had to leave the game in the third quarter when he injured his hip.

"It's great to get the opportunity," said Haggan, who signed with the Broncos on Nov. 4. "We want to make it a tough decision on who to play. The coaches, I think, are rewarding us both for working hard in practice."

Webster practiced with the scout team last week but is hoping to take defensive reps when the team returns to practice Wednesday.
    sigpic

Originally posted by sdinner10 View Post
    I found this article and thought it was a good read. Once our running backs come back (next year) I kinda like the idea of him lining up as another tight end every once in a while. (I imagine the broncos starting in the I-formation with Hillis at FB and Alridge at RB, then having Alridge go out to Wideout and Hillis to TE. I see a quick timeout coming in that situation).
    during the draft they said several teams would have picked him for the TE spot had he been a few inches taller

Comment

Anything to keep him on the active roster, but I love his patience behind the line, ability to hit the holes, and ALWAYS falls forward. He is the first downhill runner we have had in awhile.

Comment

I agree, in whatever capacity, he needs to be on the field, whether it be running the ball or catching it. I would still say he should probably be the fullback, but we could use him as a goal-line halfback cause the dude is a scoring machine.
        sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Why is it that Peyton Hillis just became the first tailback this year to run for over 100 yards against the number three rushing defense in the league and some people want to move him to another position? How about leaving him at tailback? I think I know!

Comment

Originally posted by crabapplejoe View Post
            Why is it that Peyton Hillis just became the first tailback this year to run for over 100 yards against the number three rushing defense in the league and some people want to move him to another position? How about leaving him at tailback? I think I know!
            You're right but he doesn't have that explosiveness to him. You wouldn't expect him to get you that 78 yard highlight reel run. But besides that, he's always there when we need him and gets us those much needed short gains for a first down! I think he would make a great 3rd down back but not our #1 tailback.

Comment

Originally posted by sdinner10 View Post
              I imagine the broncos starting in the I-formation with Hillis at FB and Alridge at RB
              are you kidding me....
              Alridge is NOT going to be our starting RB next year...

Comment

Well even though I think Peyton Hillis is a beast.

I believe he needs stick to RB and fullback thats what he best at from college and has great hands.

Reasons why: We have 2 great TE with Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler they make amazing 1-2 punch.

Peyton Hillis is just flat out Football player!!! :salute!:
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CretorFrigg View Post
                  You're right but he doesn't have that explosiveness to him. You wouldn't expect him to get you that 78 yard highlight reel run. But besides that, he's always there when we need him and gets us those much needed short gains for a first down! I think he would make a great 3rd down back but not our #1 tailback.
                  http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...g-country-boy/

Here's the highlight reel. The first video is a 62 yard breakaway TD run against LSU.
                  I don't want a winning season; I want a Dynasty!

Comment

I'm not advocating changing him to Tight End, I just thought it was an interesting idea. I don't think that he is our long term answer at running back, but rather our long term answer at fullback/H-back.

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                    are you kidding me....
                    Alridge is NOT going to be our starting RB next year...
                    I don't think Alridge will be starting at RB, but I do think he will be a change of pace back, and when he is it would be awesome to see that happen.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm going to have to say no on this one.....

Comment

Possibility

Put Hillis in at least one screen to Royal, can you imagine the horror on the faces of defenders trying to get through him to Royal ? Hillis, Larsen, and Royal should be given their own Rookie Of The Year Awards there contributions have been astonishing. Look up Larsen he is still listed as FB even though he would be MLB or LB in any start. Hillis is proving to be a great HB, but FB would be nicer he could deliver more pain that way.
                        Denver's airport is DIA...Our defense is M. I. A.

http://media.scout.com/Media/NFL/157...ilsonsmall.JPG

Comment

I havent seen yet a titan fan asking for LenDale White to be playing TE or FB...

Comment

Keep him at HB.

He's just like Mike Anderson. Pair him with a home run guy and we've got a legit backfield.

Comment

I think the point is once our Backs are healthy next year Hillis will be relieved of the primary ball carrying responsibilities. That will go to Selvin Young, Ryan Torrain, Andre Hall, Pittman, or maybe some other guy we sign/draft.

Hillis has done a great job and is a great team player who is VERY versatile and (i.e. great receiver out of the backfield, good blocker, good runner). Thus Shanny is already thinking of the many ways he can utilize the skills Hillis has to create mismatches next year. I can very much see him creating headaches for LB's and CB's.

But that's just my :2cents:

Thx,
                              Joe
                              To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X