Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
    Nice to see you my old friend.

We cannot start giving up our offense to improve defense. It's just plain silly.

Now that we DO have an offense, we leave it alone and focus on the defensive side of things in the next year or two to make it all come together.

I should call Pat.
    Be firm with Pat when you talk to him. You know he listens to Shanny behind our backs.

Comment

Basically a dead heat!!!

I don't expect too many more responses to this one, and if so, amazingly we almost have a dead heat!!!

To be sure, I started this in a bit of fun and curiosity. I did believe BMarsh would win easily, based on his body of work, size and periodic "dominance". But clearly people love Royal, for a number of excellent reasons - route running, speed, strength for a smallish receiver, versatility, game-breaking capability, class act, professionalism, intelligence and so on.

But in the end, a common response was "this was a cruel poll" or "not going to pick one". These responses tell me that we have not one but two outstanding players at WR, and that we should be so lucky to have them, Cutler, Stokley, Scheffler, Graham, Hillis, the OLINE and a host of others on offense for 08 and the future. The cast is set. THe infrastructure is in place. Now we just tweak it a bit here and there, make a couple of changes as necessary and we have a winning O for years to come.

And yes, we have plenty of time to discuss D.....but not this time!

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange View Post
        Be firm with Pat when you talk to him. You know he listens to Shanny behind our backs.
        I think I got the message across.

Pat said hello by the way. :salute!:
        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

My Observations...

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
          There is absolutely nothing to support your notion that Royal is "working harder" than Marshall.. NOTHING. Also.. the NFL is NOT full of WRs that provide "highlight reels." Marshall is one of the very best at gaining yards after the catch.... and Royal has CERTAINLY coughed up the ball. So please. If you are going to try and raise Royal's value, at least be truthful and objective about it.
          I like the fact that Marshall is very talented and can provide great plays, however I have seen that " pout " that some WR's get on their faces if the ball is not thrown to them or they think there was a penalty. Eddie Royal, does not see as much action as Marshall but have you heard him whine or cry about it I sure haven't. Next time Marshall drops the ball or misses for whatever reason watch his facial expression, then watch Royal in the same situation and tell me who is mature. Eddie Royal, is also doing special teams without complaint and keeps getting better at it no TD's yet but he maintains possession or denies territorial disadvantage to the opposition. How do you think Marshall would handle having to do special teams ? Based on the work ethic I see from both, Eddie Royal is putting in OT while Marshall at times is clock watching. It would be sad to see Marshall turn into a TO or a Chad so I hope he grows up soon, like Eddie.
          Denver's airport is DIA...Our defense is M. I. A.

http://media.scout.com/Media/NFL/157...ilsonsmall.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by orangeblue72 View Post
            I like the fact that Marshall is very talented and can provide great plays, however I have seen that " pout " that some WR's get on their faces if the ball is not thrown to them or they think there was a penalty. Eddie Royal, does not see as much action as Marshall but have you heard him whine or cry about it I sure haven't. Next time Marshall drops the ball or misses for whatever reason watch his facial expression, then watch Royal in the same situation and tell me who is mature. Eddie Royal, is also doing special teams without complaint and keeps getting better at it no TD's yet but he maintains possession or denies territorial disadvantage to the opposition. How do you think Marshall would handle having to do special teams ? Based on the work ethic I see from both, Eddie Royal is putting in OT while Marshall at times is clock watching. It would be sad to see Marshall turn into a TO or a Chad so I hope he grows up soon, like Eddie.
            I'm with you on this part of the anlysis. Again, primarily observation on my part only, but if Royal gets even more attention, I think Marshall may not be as team oriented, as Royal would be in the reverse scenario. Now that doesn't make Eddie a better overall player, but it does make him a better team player, and that's an important dimension to me. For sure he's not going to intentionally do anything that might cost us a 15 yarder, and maybe a game......

It's interesting, because I recently read an article about the "uniqueness" of a lot of WRs (TO, Chad, Plex), and there was some reasoning behind it......they're an island out there on the field, isolated so to speak, and so on.....Brandon has some of that uniqueness, whereas Eddie does not.

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post
              Not a chance. I will get rid of the rest of the defense. They have shown that we don't need it anyways.
              You win the thread

Comment

Originally posted by orangeblue72 View Post
                This is pure observation that is tainted by your bias.

There again, is absolutely NO reason to believe Marshall would have a problem with returning kicks if he was asked to return kicks. Your don't even know Marshall or Royal, and are trying to make personality judgements based on face expressions that YOU interpret from watching the television?? Does that really make sense?

I LOVE Royal. I think he was/is a FANTASTIC pick and a great guy. I seriously am THRILLED to have him on the team. However. If I'm wanting to put the BEST players on the field, and build my team around the BEST players on this roster.... I pick Marshall over Royal.

Marshall is a guy that is considered to be a top PHYSICAL speciman in the NFL. He's a guy that is a BEAST out there. One that can and will completely manhandle a corner or defense. He's a manchild.

While Royal is the swift, smart, elusive complimentary WR that THRIVES in the single coverage. One that is the utility guy. A faster and more versatile Brandon Stokely. Stokely never had great speed, but thrived and succeeded with his ability to run good routes and make the tough catches. Royal is fast, quick, runs good routes and has great hands. But he's not going to 'manhandle' anyone on the field.

Thats why the two of them make such a great compliment to one another. Thats why Royal will always THRIVE as the #2 WR, but will not be as successful as a #1. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. There is NEVER anything wrong with being a GREAT #2 WR in the NFL. Great #2s make other players on the team better. Having Royal opens things up for Scheff and Graham. Having that good #2 helps the backs out of the backfield.

But again. ALthough Royal is a great guy... and one that keeps his head low, there is NO reason to believe that Marshall has done anything, or said anything, that would imply that he's unhappy when he doesn't get the passes to him. He has been nothing but a great teammate, and I find it completely judgmental with nothing no support to say otherwise without just making stuff up.

There is absolutely NO SUPPORT to suggest Marshall is "clock watching" and I find that statement to be purely asinine. Watching a WR return kicks and play WR doesn't mean he has a stronger "work ethic" and doesn't prove for a SECOND that he's working "OT." It means he's simply doing the same thing that MANY other WRs in the NFL are doing.

Comment

Tha' Man BMarshall, hands down..... size and strength!!! Royal is Tha 2nd Man!!!

Comment

B-Marsh hands down! His double team helps Royal a whole lot!
                    sigpic
                    "Made by White Dragon - 8/26/10"
                    Great Job & thanks, WD!

"He had a better career than [Hall of Famer Gale] Sayers did, but he is not held in the same regard. Is that fair to Davis?"--Dan Patrick, ESPN

“A great shot is when you pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it.” --Phil Mickelson, 2010 Masters champion

Comment

Originally posted by 203KillinSpree View Post
                      B-Marsh hands down! His double team helps Royal a whole lot!
                      Duh....that sums it up. They make each other better. If we did not have Royal the passing game would be much worse because Cutler would only have Stokley and the TE to throw to when Marshall was doubled every play.

On a side note I found this hilarious spoof of PTI I thought yall would enjoy
                      http://www.digitalfuntown.com/videos/90

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        This is pure observation that is tainted by your bias.

There again, is absolutely NO reason to believe Marshall would have a problem with returning kicks if he was asked to return kicks. Your don't even know Marshall or Royal, and are trying to make personality judgements based on face expressions that YOU interpret from watching the television?? Does that really make sense?

I LOVE Royal. I think he was/is a FANTASTIC pick and a great guy. I seriously am THRILLED to have him on the team. However. If I'm wanting to put the BEST players on the field, and build my team around the BEST players on this roster.... I pick Marshall over Royal.

Marshall is a guy that is considered to be a top PHYSICAL speciman in the NFL. He's a guy that is a BEAST out there. One that can and will completely manhandle a corner or defense. He's a manchild.

While Royal is the swift, smart, elusive complimentary WR that THRIVES in the single coverage. One that is the utility guy. A faster and more versatile Brandon Stokely. Stokely never had great speed, but thrived and succeeded with his ability to run good routes and make the tough catches. Royal is fast, quick, runs good routes and has great hands. But he's not going to 'manhandle' anyone on the field.

Thats why the two of them make such a great compliment to one another. Thats why Royal will always THRIVE as the #2 WR, but will not be as successful as a #1. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. There is NEVER anything wrong with being a GREAT #2 WR in the NFL. Great #2s make other players on the team better. Having Royal opens things up for Scheff and Graham. Having that good #2 helps the backs out of the backfield.

But again. ALthough Royal is a great guy... and one that keeps his head low, there is NO reason to believe that Marshall has done anything, or said anything, that would imply that he's unhappy when he doesn't get the passes to him. He has been nothing but a great teammate, and I find it completely judgmental with nothing no support to say otherwise without just making stuff up.

There is absolutely NO SUPPORT to suggest Marshall is "clock watching" and I find that statement to be purely asinine. Watching a WR return kicks and play WR doesn't mean he has a stronger "work ethic" and doesn't prove for a SECOND that he's working "OT." It means he's simply doing the same thing that MANY other WRs in the NFL are doing.
                        I agree with most of your points you have made in this thread. However, I dont think that anyone can be sure that Royal is just a 2 reciever. The sky is the limit for this kid. I have one pick, I think it would be Marshall. But I cant argue against anyone that would say Royal.

Comment

Ravage!!!!

You are missing my point but that's ok. I have no problem with Marshall except for his off field troubles and what I have observed. If you do not see his attitude then you don't. I just think Marshall needs to grow up, I won't even touch the " glove " incident, and I am glad teammates stopped him. Marshall is a great receiver but could be so much better once he grows up. Until that happens, I would pick Royal if I had to. Now, this is another thing I find with rookies that the next season is when they improve. It's obvious in baseball when no one can hit the rookie pitcher then next season they are sending him to the showers early, or a goalie in hockey nothing gets past him then he can't stop nothing. Next season if not sooner they will figure out how to cover Royal, I am sure he will adapt and become better. Marshall, is adapting but needs just that little bit of attitude adjustment then the sky is the limit for him. Both are good and since they are both under contract it is Marshall #1 Royal # 2.
                          Denver's airport is DIA...Our defense is M. I. A.

http://media.scout.com/Media/NFL/157...ilsonsmall.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                            Would Royal look this good if he didn't benefit from all the attention that Marshall gets? What if Royal were getting all this attention?

Make mine Marshall.......
                            Have you forgotten the Raiders game which was Royal's first NFL game where he had to go what many thought would be a top secondary unit in the NFL. He totally embarrassed their entire team and anyone they put on him got shook. It was mainly Hall the entire night, but the few times other guys gave it a shot Royal got open.

My pick would be ROYAL HANDS DOWN.

A lot of people now days have forgotten about the advantages that small WR's have always had. Most of them, especially Royal are extremely quick and fast. Royal really is both of these things. A guy his size can catch those balls that are really close to the ground and low. He can get to certain spots of the field faster than many BIG Wr's. Steve Smith is excellent at the types of stuff I'm talking about and so is Marvin Harrison. Royal has that same kind of strength that Smith has and game breaking abilities. And I think that Royal is having a better rookie season than Marsh did.

And from what I can tell so far, he seems like a really good kid. His potential could be just as good as Marshall and maybe even better if you value some of the advantages and intangibles that smaller WR's have the way I do when they have the combination of speed and quickness and the strength to go with it like Royal has.

And Marshall is a nut case. He is already one incident away from having a half year suspension and then he has another case pending right now. He whines and loses his cool when he doesn't get the ball. He just doesn't have the brain abilities and I think that Royal does.

Comment

You can't pass up on a 6'5" WR with Marshall's talent.... even with his TO like behavior.
                              Superbowl 50 Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by JrtheFreak View Post
                                You can't pass up on a 6'5" WR with Marshall's talent.... even with his TO like behavior.
                                I wouldn't want to ever pass up on Marsh.

But if the question is for a guy with Steve Smith type of potential and abilities without the baggage, then I'd do it in a second. I don't want any TO type of player on my team at all. That just spells problem after potential problem down the road. I'll find another 6'4 to 6'5 WR to pair with Royal if that is what I had to do.

Again, I'm not knocking Marshall, but this is more of credit and vote of confidence to Royal. I think this kid is special and will be for a very long time. People forget about how effective the small quick WR's have been in this league for a long time like the Marvin Harrisons, the Tory Holts, the Steve Smith types, and Jerry Rice was never a monster WR either.

Comment

Working...
                                X