Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can enigmatic Broncos buck their own trend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can enigmatic Broncos buck their own trend?

Nice article:

The Broncos are ridinig high after last Sunday's win over the Jets. Will they be able to keep it going?

Go ahead. Try and make sense of the Denver Broncos.

Explain how they can win at the Georgia Dome against the red-hot Falcons one week, lose at home to the woeful Raiders the next, and then travel to the Meadowlands, in all of that wind and rain and biting cold, and pound the Jets.

Better yet, explain how they can do this up-and-down routine all year and still find themselves sitting atop the AFC West with a 7-5 record.

Granted, the Broncos play in a terrible division. But that still doesn't explain how they can win three straight road games (the last two against strong teams) while dealing with a rash of injuries that have forced them to start a rookie fullback at tailback and four different free safeties in five games.

I've tried. I couldn't come up with a sufficient answer.

So I sought some help from within the Broncos' locker room, from one of their more experienced players -- 10th-year veteran defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban.

"First of all, the coaches put us in position to win every Sunday," he said. "Now, (as far as) the players executing? That's another story. But every week the motto is, 'Let's have (fewer) turnovers than the other team and let's have more yards rushing than the other team, and we can win.'"

The formula worked to perfection against the Jets, who had entered the game with a five-game winning streak and were widely viewed as the AFC's best team after putting the first blemish on the mighty Titans' record.

Well, it didn't quite work to perfection. The Broncos did have one turnover to the Jets' two, but the Jets ended up with more rushing yards.

Still, Peyton Hillis, Denver's rookie fullback-turned-tailback, ran for 129 yards. It was an inspiring performance, along with veteran free safety Vernon Fox returning a fumble caused by rookie linebacker Wesley Woodyard 23 yards for a touchdown. Three unheralded players, three big accomplishments.

Here's another reason the Broncos, despite all of the factors that might suggest they have no business being in the playoffs, are on a fast track to the postseason: When quarterback Jay Cutler has a hot hand, he's virtually unbeatable. He had a hot hand against the Jets, throwing for 357 yards and two touchdowns. And he has been getting tremendous protection. Cutler wasn't sacked against the Jets. Allowing only eight sacks in 461 pass plays, the Broncos are on pace to rank third all-time in the NFL in fewest sacks allowed per pass play, behind the 1988 and 1989 Dolphins.

"When Jay's on, it's a sight to see," Ekuban said. "Just seeing the kind of throws he made on Sunday, in bitter cold weather with the winds swirling in Giants Stadium, and still making pinpoint throws to his targets. We're only as good as Jay is. We feed off the energy that he brings."

As for the Broncos' inconsistency, Ekuban thinks the main reason is the team's youthful nucleus. On the one hand, it makes them a bit too immature to know how to handle prosperity. On the other hand, it allows them to stay just carefree enough to not be devastated by defeat.

"We're just going through the growing pains of being a young team," said Ekuban, who played for the Cowboys and Browns before joining the Broncos in 2005. "I've been on veteran squads before where everything is just so serious, and one loss and everything's just so tight. But with so many young guys in the locker room, it's kind of refreshing to see guys that are still loose and still bringing that energy every week.

"When everyone says we're not going to win or that it's going to be a lopsided loss for the Broncos, we take it as motivation to try to prove people wrong. Our biggest test is when everyone says that we're supposed to win a game."

A game like their Week 14 divisional clash against the 2-10 Chiefs at INVESCO Field at Mile High.

"We have to keep that same high we had against the Jets; that's going to be our biggest hurdle," Ekuban said. "And, believe me, it's going to be emphasized a lot more (by the veterans). When we first played Kansas City this season, we were 3-0 and we stressed that week, 'Do not rest on your laurels, don't believe the hype, this is going to be our hardest game.' And we went into Kansas City and got our butts kicked. We stressed the same thing against the Raiders, who were 2-8 and we were coming off a big win against Atlanta, and we got our butts kicked against the Raiders.

"Hopefully, it'll sink in to these young minds that maybe the veterans are actually saying something that's actually true."

LINK

Originally posted by biggymac609 View Post

Here's another reason the Broncos, despite all of the factors that might suggest they have no business being in the playoffs, are on a fast track to the postseason: When quarterback Jay Cutler has a hot hand, he's virtually unbeatable. He had a hot hand against the Jets, throwing for 357 yards and two touchdowns. And he has been getting tremendous protection. Cutler wasn't sacked against the Jets. Allowing only eight sacks in 461 pass plays, the Broncos are on pace to rank third all-time in the NFL in fewest sacks allowed per pass play, behind the 1988 and 1989 Dolphins.

"When Jay's on, it's a sight to see," Ekuban said. "Just seeing the kind of throws he made on Sunday, in bitter cold weather with the winds swirling in Giants Stadium, and still making pinpoint throws to his targets. We're only as good as Jay is. We feed off the energy that he brings."

Nice article and CP to you!:salute!:

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Okay, seriously... hasn't the "Broncos are so enigmatic!" "Who can figure out the Broncos?" angle been done to death? I mean, is there a national columnist that HASN'T covered this?

it's very simple. They're a young team. Made younger by injury. Young teams tend to perform to the level of their competition. Very simply, when they feel "disrespected" or their backs "against the wall," the perform better than when they're expected to win. We've seen it all season long.

That's it. Mystery solved.

CPs will be accepted.
      In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
        it's very simple. They're a young team. Made younger by injury. Young teams tend to perform to the level of their competition. Very simply, when they feel "disrespected" or their backs "against the wall," the perform better than when they're expected to win. We've seen it all season long.

CPs will be accepted.
        You are right on. We just need to win at home against lesser teams.

----------------------------------------------
        I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
          You are right on. We just need to win at home against lesser teams.
          I agree wholeheartedly, and I think we will see that as these players get more experience. We're still a VERY young team. We will continue to get better and better and better.

This isn't all that mysterious.
          In Manning I trust.

Comment

It is indeed a good article. Now all we have to do is win win win and win some more.
            :logo:
            :logo: :logo:

Air Force Falcons (0-0)(0-0)
            Moon Twp Tigers (0-0)(0-0)
            Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
            Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRbn...layer_embedded

Comment

Insulin Insulin Insulin. Get that boy some Insulin.
              Free Sports Betting BettorFan.com - Free Sports Betting. Win Real Cash.

Comment

Great Read!

It might sound bad, but I like how they just sweat off a loss & look foward to playing the next week.

Its true, watching Cutler when he gets hot he can make about any throw and make defenses look like garbage! :salute!:

Comment

Watching the Broncos click sends a chill down my spine.

I regularly look at my wife during these times and say "Do you even know how unstoppable we will be when they expect themselves to win, instead of everyone expecting them to win?"

it's very simple. They're a young team. Made younger by injury. Young teams tend to perform to the level of their competition. Very simply, when they feel "disrespected" or their backs "against the wall," the perform better than when they're expected to win.
                  Exactly. +CP

In coaching Pop Warner, thats the biggest motivator. Sometimes the moment is bigger than the player, and thats when you break it down to the lowest common denominator. 90% of the game is half-mental
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Good article. I've got to agree with some of the other posters here that the Broncos are a relatively young team. They've also had to deal with a ton of injuries. They've got a young QB that seems to be "finding himself" and is gaining more and more confidence in his receivers as well as his own abilities. All in all, I'd say that is the reason for any "up and down" stuff that's going on. I think your team will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BoltNut View Post
                      Good article. I've got to agree with some of the other posters here that the Broncos are a relatively young team. They've also had to deal with a ton of injuries. They've got a young QB that seems to be "finding himself" and is gaining more and more confidence in his receivers as well as his own abilities. All in all, I'd say that is the reason for any "up and down" stuff that's going on. I think your team will be fine.
                      You, sir, have earned yourself CP for separating yourself from the idiocy many of your peers show here.
                      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Okay, seriously... hasn't the "Broncos are so enigmatic!" "Who can figure out the Broncos?" angle been done to death? I mean, is there a national columnist that HASN'T covered this?

CPs will be accepted.

LOL..you sound sooo angry. I love it when Bronco fans complain about the media not paying attention to us and now their are national stories..lol

Yeah, it's not too difficult to figure out I guess, but it's a team that many ppl see being very good sooner then latter, so they write about what's going on now. What's wrong with that? I think we are a good story. It's the start of something big here.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                          LOL..you sound sooo angry. I love it when Bronco fans complain about the media not paying attention to us and now their are national stories..lol

Yeah, it's not too difficult to figure out I guess, but it's a team that many ppl see being very good sooner then latter, so they write about what's going on now. What's wrong with that? I think we are a good story. It's the start of something big here.
                          No one likes being the stepchild, and it would be very sweet indeed to see all the talking heads remark on how they knew it all along that the young Broncos had it in them all along.
                          Last edited by CoryWinget81; 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM.
                          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post

Angry? No. Mildly annoyed? Yeah. To hear these columnists tell it, we're too stupid to figure out what's going on with our team. Not ONE of them has said "this is a young, injury plagued and growing team. Teams like this OFTEN end up being up and down like the Broncos are this year." I'm waiting for that article. I'm waiting for a columnist that actually has a clue what he's talking about.

In other words, I'm not holding my breath.

it should also be noted that I'm not one of the folks complaining about no national attention. In the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't matter.
                            In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                              No one likes being the stepchild, and it would be very sweet indeed to see all the talking heads remark on how they knew it all along that the young Broncos had it in them all along.
                              And we can all sit back and laugh at them as they are doing it. I know I will if we win this entire thing.
                              :logo:
                              :logo: :logo:

Air Force Falcons (0-0)(0-0)
                              Moon Twp Tigers (0-0)(0-0)
                              Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
                              Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRbn...layer_embedded

Comment

Working...
                              X