Winborn Adds Hustle and Stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winborn Adds Hustle and Stability

(Sorry if you have already seen this article....I found it in the Salt Lake paper)

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_11126078

In Denver's ailing defense . . .
    NFL: Winborn providing some stability
    He has stepped up after injuries decimated the starting linebacker corps
    By Lindsay H. Jones
    The Denver Post
    Updated: 12/03/2008 01:55:53 AM MST

DENVER - Ebenezer Ekuban just shook his head.
    No, he said, he didn't want to imagine what the Broncos' defense would have looked like this past month without linebacker Jamie Winborn.
    With Boss Bailey, D.J. Williams and Nate Webster - the starting linebacking corps - felled by knee injuries in three consecutive games, it has been Winborn who has provided a veteran presence as the Broncos have had to start rookies Wesley Woodyard and Spencer Larsen.
    "He's been phenomenal," Ekuban said. "The young guys really relate to him. He's a great locker room guy, and he does a great job with them."
    On the field, Winborn has replaced Bailey at strong-side linebacker, and after recording 12 tackles Sunday against the Jets, he now leads the team with 88 total tackles. He has replaced Williams in the huddle as the defense's play-caller, and the player who wears the live helmet to communicate with defensive coaches. And he's replaced Webster as the loudmouth of the defense, the player who shouts at opposing players and emphatically celebrates each tackle.
    "He ignites us," Ekuban said. "He's our little energy guy, when he makes a big hit or a big play, he's doing his little dance and getting everyone ready to go."
    The NFL wasn't always so fun for Winborn, as he spent part of three of his first seven seasons on the injured reserve with knee and neck injuries. In
    other seasons, he played primarily in a reserve role or on special teams, as was his role last year for the Broncos, his first season in Denver.
    Through those tough years he would remember advice given to him in 2002 by former teammate Julian Peterson, a three-time Pro Bowl linebacker now with Seattle. Peterson's words came after a knee injury ended Winborn's season after just three games.
    "He would say, 'Wait your turn and keep fighting. Never let anyone see you upset about the position you're in. If you're on special teams, play that. If you're in on defense, play that,' " Winborn said. "And that's what I do."
    Winborn led the Broncos in special teams tackles in 2007, and he impressed Denver coaches when he replaced Bailey with the first-team defense for most of the preseason. Winborn started in place of Bailey, who was still recovering from an ankle injury, in the season opener against Oakland and made nine tackles in that game.
    Coaches again put Winborn in the starting lineup against New England as the fourth linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme.
    But it has been since replacing Bailey full-time Nov. 2 that Winborn has been most effective. In the five games since - as the Broncos have gone 3-2 - Winborn has 58 tackles.

CanDB's comments:

Good for Jamie! He has paid his dues in the NFL, and that never say die attitude is paying off. Some folks have made comments about his "enthusiasm", in a not so positive way, but after what he's been through I say he deserves to play with some flair....although I don't want any hot dog stuff out there. I would venture to say that he is an energetic player, who just wants a chance to get in the game and help out his team.

His stats are very good, and his role in a Bronco uniform is much appreciated!

I like the kid but him getting suckered to the inside is the reason for Thomas Jones long TD run last game.
    Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wade View Post
      I like the kid but him getting suckered to the inside is the reason for Thomas Jones long TD run last game.
      To be sure, that play hurt us bad, but I wouldn't just blame Winborn on that one. From my quick observation (may have missed something) it looked like Larsen overplayed it as well, and there is no way that a RB should be able to turn one lane at the line into a long TD run with no one else even close. Where were the Dbacks???? And if you are 100% right about Winborn being the only one of the front seven responsible (and Larsen was innocent), you really can't conclude that everytime a Linebacker misses his assignment, it goes for 6, THAT EASILY.....
      Last edited by CanDB; 12-03-2008, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Windborn is good, but cmon why does the guy have to celebrate about making a tackle seven yards down field?

Comment

Winborn is quickly becoming one of my favorite Broncos. :salute!:

I think its safe to say Boss wont get his job back......
          sigpic

Comment

Whats his injury status this week?

Comment

Originally posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
              Winborn is quickly becoming one of my favorite Broncos. :salute!:

I think its safe to say Boss wont get his job back......
              Winborn is outstanding! Plus he is a Vandy Guy. :salute!:

----------------------------------------------
              I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                To be sure, that play hurt us bad, but I wouldn't just blame Winborn on that one. From my quick observation (may have missed something) it looked like Larsen overplayed it as well, and there is no way that a RB should be able to turn one lane at the line into a long TD run with no one else even close. Where were the Dbacks???? And if you are 100% right about to take task with Winborn out of the front seven alone (and Larsen was innocent), you really can't conclude that everytime a Linebacker misses his assignment, it goes for 6, THAT EASILY.....
                The defense is based on gap control and jamie didnt take his gap on that play. Larsen was fooled too but was excused cuz he filled his gap, Winborn didn't.

sigpic
                \

Comment

Winborn, like Webster, over pursues. That makes for some "OH YEAH BABY!!!!" yelling, as well as "OH COME ON WINBORRRRRRRRRRRN"

Glad to have him here regardless
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I don't mind Jamie. He plays well for what he is, a backup. Obviously he isn't going to do something spectacular every play, but for the most part he has filled in well and played hard. He has also showed me a lot of heart, which is something the defense was lacking at the beginning of the year imo. I don't get why people like to bash the guy, I don't see how you could ask much more out of a backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wade View Post
                      actually that was Dewayne Robertson's fault. He chose the gap to the left first, so Winborn went to the gap to the right. Then Robertson changed his mind and went to the right gap, so Jamie Winborn got confused and try to hustle to the left gap, but wasn't quick enough to get there.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

To be sure, that play hurt us bad, but I wouldn't just blame Winborn on that one. From my quick observation (may have missed something) it looked like Larsen overplayed it as well, and there is no way that a RB should be able to turn one lane at the line into a long TD run with no one else even close. Where were the Dbacks???? And if you are 100% right about to take task with Winborn out of the front seven alone (and Larsen was innocent), you really can't conclude that everytime a Linebacker misses his assignment, it goes for 6, THAT EASILY.....
                        Nope, it was Dewayne Robertson's fault. I saw it on CBS4 Sports...they did the telestrator thing and broke the play down....this is what happened:
                        Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                        actually that was Dewayne Robertson's fault. He chose the gap to the left first, so Winborn went to the gap to the right. Then Robertson changed his mind and went to the right gap, so Jamie Winborn got confused and try to hustle to the left gap, but wasn't quick enough to get there.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Haha...

Maybe Jamie looked at Robertson and was like "....dude."
                          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Nope, it was Dewayne Robertson's fault. I saw it on CBS4 Sports...they did the telestrator thing and broke the play down....this is what happened:
                            First off.....it was that Wade dude that said it was Winborn's fault, so I kind of took a swing at it. TELL HIM.

Second, where were the backs? You can't tell me that a hole like that turns into a long TD that easily...

Comment

First off.....it was that Wade dude that said it was Winborn's fault, so I kind of took a swing at it. TELL HIM.

Second, where were the backs? You can't tell me that a hole like that turns into a long TD that easily...
                              They were playing a Cover 1 with Fox over the top, Fox bit on the line pull. If we had been in Cover 2 maybe he wouldnt have broke it.

Its what you get for trusting someone as the last line of defense that probably has no business being so.
                              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                              X