vs. San Diego, week 17: BENCH CUTLER.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vs. San Diego, week 17: BENCH CUTLER.

If all goes according to plan, the Broncos will already be the 2008 AFC West champions going into San Diego on the 28th. It should be a meaningless game for us.

Which is why Cutler, and maybe even a couple more starters--should not play in that game. Not only to be 100% for the playoffs, but I would be concerned for Cutler's physical well-being. My guess is that the Chargers will still be carrying some angry bitterness over our win in week 2. Direct it at Cutler. Perhaps a late hit here and there? Or even take a slimy cheap shot at his knees? Maybe the rivalry isn't that heated, maybe there is enough professionalism on the Chargers side to keep it clean. But maybe not.

What do you think? Does/should Jay sit vs. SD if the division is won by then? Anybody else?
    Last edited by #28; 12-05-2008, 12:51 AM. Reason: no caps necessary
    sigpic

TZ

I don't think it's in Shanny's makeup to do anything like that. In Elway's last season we were trashing opponents left a right with big scores by halftime. It would have been an excellent opportunity for Griese to come in and get some play time and rest Elway for the next start but John stayed in every game. And the next year Brian looked like he'd never played before.

Comment

Originally posted by #28 View Post
      If all goes according to plan, the Broncos will already be the 2008 AFC West champions going into San Diego on the 28th. It should be a meaningless game for us.

Which is why Cutler, and maybe even a couple more starters--should not play in that game. Not only to be 100% for the playoffs, but I would be concerned for Cutler's physical well-being. My guess is that the Chargers will still be carrying some angry bitterness over our win in week 2. Direct it at Cutler. Perhaps a late hit here and there? Or even take a slimy cheap shot at his knees? Maybe the rivalry isn't that heated, maybe there is enough professionalism on the Chargers side to keep it clean. But maybe not.

What do you think? Does/should Jay sit vs. SD if the division is won by then? Anybody else?
      And I can name another 52 players that would go for the Chargers players from that point on if that did happen!

Comment

The last time we were in this situation was also against the Chargers in the final week, 2005. In that game, Plummer started, and was then relieved by Nick Van Pelt.

Maybe Cutler could start. If we got a lead on them in the first half, Hackney could come in and just hand it off for the rest of the game. If we're down by any more than 14 at halftime, Cutler also comes out.
        sigpic

TZ

Comment

If the game is truely meaningless I can see us resting as many players as we can. The first team may play a series or two and then go with backups the rest of the way. That said, there is a lot of football left to be played and who knows what the possible seedings will look like after week 16.
          sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

If the game is truely meaningless, I can see us resting as many players as we can. The first team may play a series or two and then go with backups the rest of the way. That said, there is a lot of football left to be played and who knows what the possible seedings will look like after week 16.
            sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Have you completely lost your mind??

We have not won anything like the division or a home game lately. People are acting like this division is ours and it is not. We haven't won diddly squat yet.

This week 17 game in San Diego is becoming more and more like the final nail in somebody's AFC coffin.

I think the cheese has slid off your cracker.
              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                Have you completely lost your mind??

I think the cheese has slid off your cracker.

I'm pretty sure I presented everything in a hypothetical sense. Let me check... :look: ...yup.

The Broncos have to win three for what I was talking about to even be a realistic discussion. Sometimes its just fun to talk about, y'know?
                sigpic

TZ

Comment

i think they need to win the division first, this thing is not over yet, not by a long shot.
                  "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

The last time we were in this situation was also against the Chargers in the final week, 2005. In that game, Plummer started, and was then relieved by Nick Van Pelt.

Maybe Cutler could start. If we got a lead on them in the first half, Hackney could come in and just hand it off for the rest of the game. If we're down by any more than 14 at halftime, Cutler also comes out.
                    Uh, that was BRADLEE Van Pelt.
                    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

While I understand that no one wants to get too over confident at this point, it looks pretty good for us to be able to win the division at least by week 16. If that is the case and we handle our business, then OF COURSE we would rest starters at SD. I can see one scenerio where we would not rest Jay (and others) though. That scenerio would be if we are able to close the gap between us and the 2 and 3 seeds. If you look at the records of division leaders you'll see that it is not out of the question that we could go in higher than the 4 seed. I promise you that if there is a chance of us securing a first round bye, Shanny will do whatever it takes to do so. A long shot, I know, and there is a lot more football left, I know, but...
                      I agree, it is fun to talk about sometimes.

Comment

if we take care of business and win the games we shoud, we could be playing for the #3 seed, if thats the case im sure shanny will let him play, even if we have everything locked up i think hes goina play, its not shannys way to bench players be4 the playoffs

Comment

It's not even certain that the game against SD will be meaningless... and you come up with this.
                          sigpic

BRING BACK ORANGE!!

Comment

Meaningless or not I don't like the idea of benching starters before the playoffs. Yea you want them to be fresh and health (at best I'd bench the defensive players who've been injured) but more importantly than keeping them fresh is keeping them sharp. I've seen too many occasions when a team rests their players prior to the playoffs then once the post season starts that team gets destroyed because they just arn't in the game.

In my opinion we're going to have enough trouble week one of the post season because we're at home not away.
                            sigpic

Comment

Wow...can't believe how people jumped on the original poster. Bottom line, we're up 3 with 4 to play. AND we have a win against Diego to boot. We win against KC this weekend and we're one Denver win or one Diego loss from clinching the divisison.

To talk about this hypothetical is something that fans do. Especially at this point in the season.

And to answer the original question, I say Cutler and the starters should at least play the first half. We're not good enough to take a week off to get fresh for the playoffs. We need as much game action as we can get to be ready for the playoffs.

However, to plan against injuries, I wouldn't leave them in in the 2nd half. Get them some work in and get them out of there healthy.

jim

Comment

Working...
                              X