Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Broncos' coaching job the best in football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 203KillinSpree View Post
    You guys are misinterpreting the article. It's not about the job Shanahan's doing this yr., it's about the best place to coach or the best job to have as a coach in football.
    I don't think I'm misinterpreting at all. Best job to have in football, to me, would include a loyal fanbase that doesn't turn on you when you're leading the division by 2.5 games and on the inside track for a playoff spot.

We may have the best facilities, and we may have a great owner and all of that... but I like the selection of Pittsburgh as well. VERY loyal to their coaches.

I guess my issue isn't with the article itself; just how it's titled.
    In Manning I trust.

Comment

The defense that year was more successful LARGELY because of Denver's offensive success, which in turn was largely predicated on play action roll outs, misdirection, smoke and mirrors (coaching). Al Wilson was even being favorably compared with Lewis as an "elite" MLB. lol!

Al was a warrior, I'll give him that, but he was no Tommy Jackson, Randy Gradishar OR Karl Mecklenburg. Sorry . . . But, he WAS adequate, he did make the defense BETTER, but frankly they were put in a lot of good situations by the offense and special teams and were largely comprised of smoke and mirrors too. They SHRIVELED, as did the offense, in the face of Pittsburg.

The LBs who have been playing the past month are better than the 05 squad as a unit and they're just "back ups". . . The only place where Denver's defense is weaker now than it was in 05 is at the safety positions. But I think they are beginning to stabilize there too if the jets game is indicative of a trend, Fox's mea culpa playing pass to the wrong side of the field on a running play not withstanding.

To me, this has not been a particularly good coaching job to date. They were already ranked in the bottom third in many defensive categories by the time they lost their fourth outing in K.C. This was LARGELY because they were still EXPERIMENTING! They could not make up their minds if they were going to play a 4-3 front or a 3-4 front! THIS was something they should have aleady been committed to before the start of the regular season.

They were FORCED by INJURIES to take the 4-3 option and once THAT got decided the defense began to improve. I think they are going to come out like a swarm of friggin' hornets come Sunday. I really DO. I think Denver's defense is going to come out and put some wood to the Chefs because 1) They were HUMILIATED by LJ last outing and they do not intend to allow him to do so again, not to THEM, because, 2) There is real chemistry brewing amongst the current squad of players who DO NOT WANT to be relegated to sitting on the bench again. 3) Just between you and me, Larsen will be starting at MLB, sshhh . . . don't let that get out.

Exhibit B would be the Oakland fiasco two weeks ago. The deficiencies in strategy, game planning, motivation and discipline were all directly attributable to the entire coaching staff, top to bottom, including Mike Shannahan. I don't think they will make any more MAJOR mistakes the remainder of the season, but frankly, I have more faith in the PLAYERS this year, than I do the coaching staff, although I have not and will not become a Shanny basher . . . at least not yet.

I want ORANGE CRUSH baby! Not just some fizzless imitation! :salute!:
      uhhh,this ain't Lou from Aurora

Comment

Originally posted by broncofanatik View Post
        Am I surprised you posted this? Not really. Learn2 football.

Will you teach me to football?

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post

Will you teach me to football?
          No, but he'll probably teach you "2 football." He's mad at me, so he won't teach me "2 football." Lucky.
          In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
            I don't know if I agree about '05 being his best coaching job. Champ and DJ on the injured list for half of this season, along with 12 guys hitting IR. Fourth string running back starting for us now. Scheffler, Royal, Marshall all missed time. And the defense is horrid. Yet we're 2.5 games up on the division and can clinch with two wins.

'05 was great, but... '08 is better, IMO.

I can agree with that, maybe I should have that was his best GM job? By that I mean the impact players we drafted in 05 (read: D Wil) and bringing in all the Browns Dlineman in which he was relentlessly bashed for in the media, by the fans, and was outright questioned by other personel in the league, all it did was turn into a dominant defense. So yes, your right about this being his best coaching job, I'll call that his best offseason shopping spree.

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
            Hey can I save this quote as part of my sig!!!

It really hits home sand sums everything up that happens on here.

You absolutely can. :salute!:

Originally posted by Artamentous View Post
            ROFL You can sure tell the people who DIDNT read the link.

It says nothing about how good a coach Shanny is, it says what a GREAT organization it is to be a coach of.

Its a discussion chief, we spawned it from best places to coach to Shannys best coaching job. Im sure you can connect the dots and follow the logic.

Originally posted by xxxlibertine View Post
            The defense that year was more successful LARGELY because of Denver's offensive success, which in turn was largely predicated on play action roll outs, misdirection, smoke and mirrors (coaching). Al Wilson was even being favorably compared with Lewis as an "elite" MLB. lol!

Al was widely considered one of if not the most underrated defender in the NFL for a long time. Ask Adam Schein who praised Al (not undeservingly) to no end in 04, 05, and 06. Al was an outstanding LB'er and was top 3 with Urlacher and Lewis during his tenure here. Secondly, the defense that year benefited from the offense like any team does. The offense didnt turn the ball over, but they certainly did their part getting 36 takeaways. So at the end of the day, you could credit the defense with the offenses success giving them a total of 20 extra drives on the year.

Al was a warrior, I'll give him that, but he was no Tommy Jackson, Randy Gradishar OR Karl Mecklenburg. Sorry . . . But, he WAS adequate, he did make the defense BETTER, but frankly they were put in a lot of good situations by the offense and special teams and were largely comprised of smoke and mirrors too. They SHRIVELED, as did the offense, in the face of Pittsburg.

Hey may not have been those guys, thats fine, but the boy could play and was far better then "adequate". I dont know why your trying to discredit and down play Al so much but your not doing a good job at it. Your crediting the ST's for 2005...not even close dude. 0 TDs on punts or kick returns and they only averaged 8.5 a return on punts and 20.7 on kickoffs. Nothing spectacular there. They ran into a buzzsaw in the Steelers. The Steelers were an almost identical team to the one who went 15-1 and a year before, so yo do the math. They were extremely talented and extremely hot at the time. Their offense came in ready for the heavy blitzing we were gonna bring and they snuffed our run game. When that happend, and we all know this, the game went on Jakes shoulders and the PA boots and rollouts failed. Jake turned the ball over 5 times, not Mikes fault, the guys couldnt execute. It is what it is but your all over the place and all wrong on this.

The LBs who have been playing the past month are better than the 05 squad as a unit and they're just "back ups". . . The only place where Denver's defense is weaker now than it was in 05 is at the safety positions. But I think they are beginning to stabilize there too if the jets game is indicative of a trend, Fox's mea culpa playing pass to the wrong side of the field on a running play not withstanding.

Denvers defense in 2005 with those LB'ers (who were the strength of that defense) - 258 points allowed.

Denvers defense this year - 319 points allowed and counting, so its pretty safe to say these LB'ers are not on the same level as Ian, DJ, and Al were that year.

To me, this has not been a particularly good coaching job to date. They were already ranked in the bottom third in many defensive categories by the time they lost their fourth outing in K.C. This was LARGELY because they were still EXPERIMENTING! They could not make up their minds if they were going to play a 4-3 front or a 3-4 front! THIS was something they should have aleady been committed to before the start of the regular season.

If this year doesnt qualify as a good coaching job to you then I have to question the validity of your opinion as a whole. Im not sure what your getting at but again, your not doing a very good job.

They were FORCED by INJURIES to take the 4-3 option and once THAT got decided the defense began to improve. I think they are going to come out like a swarm of friggin' hornets come Sunday. I really DO. I think Denver's defense is going to come out and put some wood to the Chefs because 1) They were HUMILIATED by LJ last outing and they do not intend to allow him to do so again, not to THEM, because, 2) There is real chemistry brewing amongst the current squad of players who DO NOT WANT to be relegated to sitting on the bench again. 3) Just between you and me, Larsen will be starting at MLB, sshhh . . . don't let that get out.

Exhibit B would be the Oakland fiasco two weeks ago. The deficiencies in strategy, game planning, motivation and discipline were all directly attributable to the entire coaching staff, top to bottom, including Mike Shannahan. I don't think they will make any more MAJOR mistakes the remainder of the season, but frankly, I have more faith in the PLAYERS this year, than I do the coaching staff, although I have not and will not become a Shanny basher . . . at least not yet.

I want ORANGE CRUSH baby! Not just some fizzless imitation! :salute!:

I can agree with this part of your post, I think the defense is coming around and we have some solid players and they'll be much more prepared this time around. Last time LJ had 198 yards, 100 of which came on 2 or 3 carries if I recall. Thats all fine and well, but I cant imagine them being any worse with DJ back in the lineup. Webster...well, I like Nate so Im biased but Larsen was killin it at MLB. I just think your waaaaay off with most of your previous points.

Comment

YES!!!!!!!! I would also like to say I approve of the job Norv Turner has done with the Chargers this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Thor View Post
                YES!!!!!!!! I would also like to say I approve of the job Norv Turner has done with the Chargers this year.
                You know why I hate this forum? Because you rarely get intelligent conversations. I take the time to type all that **** out, and this is the response it gets. Its like smart, well-thought out, fact driven posts are this forums kryptonite. I think if I just say things like "CUTL3R PWNZJo0!!!1" and "FIRE SHANNAHAN HE SUXORS to teh MAX!!!!" I'll get someone to engage in discussion.

Comment

Anyone that thinks Shanny needs to be fired...
                  ...see the sig.

That being said, I could see how Denver is one of the best coaching jobs. We have the best fans, a very nice facility, a big enough market to get recognition, but small enough where it doesnt overwhelm.
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Joe View Post
                    You know why I hate this forum? Because you rarely get intelligent conversations. I take the time to type all that **** out, and this is the response it gets. Its like smart, well-thought out, fact driven posts are this forums kryptonite. I think if I just say things like "CUTL3R PWNZJo0!!!1" and "FIRE SHANNAHAN HE SUXORS to teh MAX!!!!" I'll get someone to engage in discussion.
                    Well, when you make TOO good of an argument, it's hard to disagree.

The defense we had, and the linebackers especially with Al in the middle was definitely better than what we have now. It'd be stupid to disagree.

The team we had was stronger on defense and more experienced and had more time together as an offense. Now we have a more explosive younger offense that isn't always gelled... and a defense that isn't nearly as good.

So like you said... he did a great job putting together that team... but was it that hard to coach?

Is taking a decimated team to this record a better job of coaching? I think you can argue either way.

I'd argue that Shanny the GM did a hell of a job finding us the rookies that he's now coaching well...

Anyway...

Yeah... I'm sorry you hate it here. Good post anyway. :thumb:
                    Thanks, Reid!
                    sigpic
                    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                      Well, when you make TOO good of an argument, it's hard to disagree.

The defense we had, and the linebackers especially with Al in the middle was definitely better than what we have now. It'd be stupid to disagree.

The team we had was stronger on defense and more experienced and had more time together as an offense. Now we have a more explosive younger offense that isn't always gelled... and a defense that isn't nearly as good.

So like you said... he did a great job putting together that team... but was it that hard to coach?

Is taking a decimated team to this record a better job of coaching? I think you can argue either way.

I'd argue that Shanny the GM did a hell of a job finding us the rookies that he's now coaching well...

Anyway...

Yeah... I'm sorry you hate it here. Good post anyway. :thumb:

Well thats why I clarified a few posts ago that I'll say this year is a better coaching job where as 2005 was a better job being the GM. Good coaching, obviously Jake was a prime example of the outstanding coaching we had/have here.

Yes, I do hate it here. Fortunately for the rest of the board I have no where else to go.

Comment

Your resonse was well thought out and well written. Perhaps I AM too dismissive of Big Al's linebacking skills but on paper he doesn't reach the bar that the other linebackers mentioned in comparison set, both at the ILB position in general and specifically as a Bronco LB.

He played only eight years as opposed to Junior Seau's 18, (and just resigned by N.E.), Lawrence Taylor's 13, Mike Singletary's 12 years, Gradishar's 10, Tom Jackson's 14, Meckleburg's 12 and Ray Lewis' 12 years. Al did NOT have the physical tools any of those guys had and his early exit was a result of a serious neck injury. His body simply could no longer stand up to the physical pounding. He wasn't that physically imposing although he was more than willing to give it his all. He was in fact the real spine in the defenses in which he played and he kept them focused. However, it was a finesse defense, not built for smashmouth.

The other LBs mentioned here were game changers. They affected the way the opposing teams schemed and played them and still they made game changing plays on a regular basis, that's why half of them are already in the Hall of Fame. Al Wilson is not headed to Canton . . . In eight years Al accumulated a total of 580 tackles, 450 solo 130 assists. He had a modest 21.5 sacks and a measly five INTs. He scored 1 defensive TD.

In the same eight year time frame, Lewis had 513 combined tackles, 28 sacks and 23 INTs and 2 defensive TDs. He has since added to these totals and now has 878 combined tackles, 31 sacks and 28 INTs. And he isn't done yet either it would appear . . .

In Junior Seau's 18 year career, which he has just resumed, he has racked up 56.5 sacks and 18 INTs, three in his LAST campaign. I believe Junior will be in the Hall of Fame someday too.

Lawrence Taylor amassed 132.5 sacks over the span of his 13 years in the league. Tommy Jackson had 13 sacks in his last four seasons. I don't think they kept a stat category for sacks before that so I don't know how many he had in his first ten years but it was a bunch. Tommy was a load. He scored 3 defensive TDs in his career as a Bronco. Gradishar snagged 20 INTs during his time here and turned 3 of them into TDs and Mecklenburg netted 79 sacks.

As important as he was to the defenses he played on, he was merely adequate or a little better. But, he WAS the best of the lot during that time. The scheme they were working at the time was predicated on the old cliche that "speed kills" and it's motto was "bend don't break". Although the '05 defense achieved some success, it was as I contend, largely due to the scheme and coaching . . . it was a generic and fizzless imitation. Didn't they start shuffling DCs in and out the next season? Why was that?

'05 still stands in my mind as Shannahan's finest beginning to end coaching performance. And Big Al still stands in my mind as an over rated over achiever.
                        uhhh,this ain't Lou from Aurora

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Joe View Post
                          Well thats why I clarified a few posts ago that I'll say this year is a better coaching job where as 2005 was a better job being the GM. Good coaching, obviously Jake was a prime example of the outstanding coaching we had/have here.

Yes, I do hate it here. Fortunately for the rest of the board I have no where else to go.
                          I hear the Chargers forums are accepting applications...

Oh wait... No they aren't.

Anyway... Clady, Royal, Larsen, Winborn, Hillis... those are all GM from Shanny this year... Not horrible either. Oh... Weigmann...
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Mike Shanahan has done great things here in Denver. However, I often find myself at qualms with my perspective on the man. On the one hand, in instance of this season you see him take a team hosting starting spots largely to rookies and young players.... and we hold the division. He has so many strengths as a coach, I don't feel the need to list them here.

But a few things really irk me about Shanahan. How do you lose at home to the raiders in such a crucial time in our season? Our roster is vastly superior... it was bad coaching. We weren't prepared and it showed. After loses like those, I see something in his eyes. I feel like he has lost his energy. Many times I have seen a broken Mike Shanahan, with defeat written across his face. Maybe I am misreading him, maybe what I see is simply an aged coach with no less drive and football knowledge than he had ten years ago.

Then he does something like take his team on the road and beats the Jets. The players all say, "Well... the coaching staff does a great job putting us in a position to win games." If that's what the players say, fine by me. Maybe it was just the personnel who overlooked and did not execute in face of the Oakland. He has the players confidence, Mike Shanahan is still our man.

Comment

A mistake

Mr. FatJoe,
                              I'm sorry you took offense by my post, I was not replying to your post but strictly to the main thread " Is Broncos' coaching job the best in football?" Nothing I wrote was directed at you. I logged on, read the main thread and posted a reply, mine just happened to be posted right after yours.
                              Again my post had nothing to do with yours. I'm sorry my remarks offended you so much and apologize for that.

Comment

I have always been a huge shanny fan, and this year has been no different. I don't see how you could complain about the coaching this year (at least the offense, defense is debatable at times). Yes it pisses me off when we lose to inferior teams like the raiders and the chiefs..but how were those losses Shanny's fault? Shanny isn't throwing pics and fumbling the ball. I am not sure, but I don't think we have lost when we win the turnover battle? Either way I know that when we haven't turned the ball over, we win A LOT more than we lose.

Shannahan is a great coach, and unfortunately, I think some of you won't realize this until after he's gone. We as broncos fans are spoiled in a sense because we have had the luxury of watching one of the most consistent football teams (in the sense of being in contention for at least the playoffs every year) and you don't think Shanny deserves any credit for that?

For those of you that want Shanny gone, be careful what you wish for. Look at Michigan for instance. Their fans got tired of winning 9 or 10 games every year, ran the coach outta town and what do you know...first losing season in 30 some years. Just a thought..

Throwing your coach under the bus isn't always the best option. We have a great coach is Mike Shannahan, lets keep it that way!

Comment

Working...
                                X