Woodyard Fined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
    One wonders what Roger does with all the money from the fines...

... /sinister grin
    I'm pretty sure that money raised from fines is donated to charity. I don't remember if someone pointed it out here or if it's something I heard the announcers say during a game or perhaps one of the pre-game shows. But, in any case, the NFL isn't getting rich off of fining players. I doubt the NFLPA would put up with that.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
      Maybe we should fine Roger Goodell for stupidity

Comment

Okay, I'm fine with a player getting fined for a late hit or helmet to helmet contact. But getting fined for a facemask? Wow, how much more scrutiny well the defense's get. They can't tackle a QB, they can't make hard hits on a player, they can't touch the QB, and they can't touch the receiver after 5 yards. Why not just say throw the ball and see who can score the most points in 60 minutes without any obstacles.

Comment

*wonders 2 years from now*

Broncos Linebacker DJ Williams Fined 10,000 dollars for tackle. The NFL has stressed to all its players that this kind of illegal play will not be tolerated.

Comment

Originally posted by cutler4thewin View Post
            wow, either fine players and get rid of penalties, or have penalties and stop fining them, its like punishing a guy twice for the same crime... which is illegal in the court of law, but the commish has decided the NFL is cooler then that
            Sorry but this is not double jeopardy. The penalty punishes the team for your dumb ass mistake while the fine punishes the player for it.
            :logo:
            :logo: :logo:

Air Force Falcons (0-0)(0-0)
            Moon Twp Tigers (0-0)(0-0)
            Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
            Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRbn...layer_embedded

Comment

That's BS. That play didn't even rate the 15 yd personal foul. Should have been a 5 yarder. But the fine is totally bogus.

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                play wasn't over dude.

you can't blame a guy for trying to time his hit just right. it's not his fault Polamalu got to the ball first. i seriously doubt Clark thought: "Alright, I'm going to nail Welker even though the ball got batted down before I touch him..."
                Except he led with the head when he made his hit. It may not have been helmet to helmet but he still laid out a defenseless receiver. It was the right call no matter how much I disagreed with it.

Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
                Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:

Comment

So he was fined for pulling him to the ground via facemask? That'll warrent it!

Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
                  Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:

Comment

Originally posted by SkyFlash1 View Post
                    That's BS. That play didn't even rate the 15 yd personal foul. Should have been a 5 yarder. But the fine is totally bogus.
                    There are no more 5yd face masks!

Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
                    Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:

Comment

My only problem with all this??

Yes, dirty football shouldn't be condoned by the league. I agree that when a player "obviously" endangers another play "intentionally" and in a situation thats uncalled for? There should be some repercussions for them.

Fist fights? Sure, fine them.
                      Intentionally leading with the helmet using it as a weapon? Sure, fine them
                      leg whips or tripping? I can even see that as being a finable offense since it could easily lead to broken bones and season ending injuries.

Most of these things though are thought out actions or intentional acts by a defensive player in violation of the rules. A player knows when they are leading with their head. They also know what they are doing when fists start flying or they are whipping their leg around to trip someone.

My biggest problem with the entire concept of fining a player for a face mask penalty? Is that unless its obvious or blatant that the other player intentionally went for the face mask and was really trying to hurt the other player? Accidents happen.

Defense is played with passion, speed, intensity, and fire. If you take those elements away and limit a players ability to play instinctually? Then you see a player thats no longer effective in performing his job.

Perhaps I used some bad examples and maybe there are other examples that more clearly illustrate what I'm trying to get across here, but the bottom line is unless its clearly dirty play and done intentionally? Something as simple as your hand grabbing 6 inches higher than you wanted on a tackle bringing a loss of income for you is ridiculous. This sport was created to be a physical sport with bodies coming into violent contact with each other on every play. The essence of football itself and the "great hits" that make this sport what it is? In recent years has been exchanged for the protection of investments and the continual worries about player safety.

None of us know when we get in our vehicles to leave the house whether we will be in an accident that involves injury or death. Many have jobs that require following safety guidelines to prevent injury. Some have jobs that are much more dangerous than others and even with those guidelines their job isnt considered to be a safe one. Football is just another example of a job that isnt safe. However in football, the pay is much higher than in many many other jobs that have their own potential risks. To my way of thinking the rewards and the pay are inflated even when considering the risk. If we keep trying to safeguard each and every player on the field with more and more rule changes and fines levied? Eventually they won't be able to do their jobs well enough for anyone to enjoy watching them.

Comment

Working...
                      X