Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boyd goes from practice squad to starter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyd goes from practice squad to starter!

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11190532

With injuries depleting the Broncos' backfield, the rookie will get his chance against Carolina.

Rookie running back Cory Boyd goes from being on the practice squad to starter for Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers after meeting with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on Tuesday. John Fox does not mean to offend the Broncos as he strums a miniature violin.

The Carolina coach knows the Broncos, extraordinarily,have lost six tailbacks to injury this season. But Fox also knows six injured tailbacks affect the Broncos less than that would others.

Michael Pittman was considered an aging reserve until he became a Broncos star. When Pittman went down, Ryan Torain lived up to his hype as the next great back for a half. Then he got injured. Peyton Hillis was a backup fullback who became a star until he got injured.

The next running back the Broncos figure to introduce Sunday at Carolina is Cory Boyd, who was promoted from the practice squad this week after humbling the No. 1 defense as a scout teamer in previous weeks.
    "No disrespect for what those guys have dealt with on injuries — we've had our share too and it's not easy — but I've seen that Bronco offense over the years do it with all kinds of backs," Fox said during a conference call Wednesday. "I've seen them over the years plug guys in and do very, very well. Again, I'm not trying to slight their injury situation. That's never easy. But I think they do a fine job."

Against the Panthers and their dynamic tailback duo of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart, the Broncos figure to counter with a combination of Boyd, Tatum Bell and Selvin Young, who is expected back from his groin injury.

During the Broncos' off day Tuesday, Boyd was called into coach Mike Shanahan's office. For support, Boyd brought along his fiancee.

"I think he got a good feel for me, a good vibe for me," said Boyd, a taller back whose next NFL carry will be his first. "He just gave me the opportunity and I'm grateful for it."
    " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

And I bet when Cory got the call to coaches office, he was probably praying for it to be his release.
    "Nooooo not me" was probably heard by Mike's secretary outside the office. Lets hope his health insurance is up to date
    "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
    Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Talk about perfect timing, your first NFL start 1hr away from Gamecock country. Will this finally be the next great Bronco back and put and end to the RB by commitee, find out in our next episode of "As the Carousel Turns"

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
        http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11190532

With injuries depleting the Broncos' backfield, the rookie will get his chance against Carolina.

Rookie running back Cory Boyd goes from being on the practice squad to starter for Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers after meeting with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on Tuesday. John Fox does not mean to offend the Broncos as he strums a miniature violin.
        Where did you get the line in Bold? When I go to the article link, that line is no where to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by neutessa View Post
          Where did you get the line in Bold? When I go to the article link, that line is no where to be found.
          Look at the caption under the picture.
          " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Ah, thank you!

Interesting development...

Comment

Yea and we've also put in RB's that have done squat. Not every back we had even this year has done well, their are some standouts though. Pittman did great, Hillis did great. But other then that the rest have done average and Torain didn't really play enough to say either way.

My point is it's alot more then just putting in any back.

Here's to hoping Boyd is the best so far .:salute!::salute!:
              Last edited by SlyBronco; 12-11-2008, 08:26 AM.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

I finally see the association. I saw another thread posting the same thing (if you didn't notice ).

It still seems a little misleading to me because Shannahan said in his press conference that he didn't even know if Boyd would dress for the game.

He interviewed with Shannahan for an "opportunity". But, an opportunity for what? How do we know that it wasn't just Shannahan letting him know that he was being signed to the active roster? I think the article is a little misleading.

Of course, who would ever write an article and suggest something that wasn't necessarily true just to get readers?
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  I finally see the association. I saw another thread posting the same thing (if you didn't notice ).

It still seems a little misleading to me because Shannahan said in his press conference that he didn't even know if Boyd would dress for the game.

He interviewed with Shannahan for an "opportunity". But, an opportunity for what? How do we know that it wasn't just Shannahan letting him know that he was being signed to the active roster? I think the article is a little misleading.

Of course, who would ever write an article and suggest something that wasn't necessarily true just to get readers?
                  I agree ... we'll see on Sunday I guess.

BTW - this is why I posted in a DJ Williams/Woodyard thread that I think Jeff Legwold at the RMN is the one to look to vs. the clowns at the Post. But, maybe the Post got one right for once.

Comment

I guess this tells you all you need to know about Tatum Bell...

Comment

The Media is jumping the gun as usual and putting words in Shanahans mouth that he did not say. As of yesterday, Shanahan was not even sure if Boyd would dress.

On Boyd
                      "He has been on our practice squad for a while, so he is in football shape. He has had a chance to learn our terminology, and we have watched him run against our first defense. He is a big strong kid, and he has skills that I think give him a chance to compete at this level and do quite well. With a kid that has never played a football game in the National Football League, you're not sure if he is ready. We will see how he handles our game plan and decide if he does dress or get any playing time."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=8671

Ohh and to the OP Diegobroncofan, dont add words like "starter" to an article when its NOT even in the link. This should be the proper head line

"Rookie running back Cory Boyd goes from being on the practice squad to getting the chance for his first NFL carry in Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers"
                      Last edited by rst08tierney; 12-11-2008, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
                        I guess this tells you all you need to know about Tatum Bell...
                        Said the same thing dude. Tatum was supposed to be our gift in the Clinton Portis deal. I would still do Champ for Clinton straight up but Tatum was supposed to be the icing. Damn this icing taste like ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post

Yes I did, but I was first!

I'm not convinced that it wasn't a misprint based off of facts from the DP but that's what it says so it gets posted.

Comment

Awww he won't be the starter they changed in in the article. Lol Tatum Bell.

These 2 need to be merged.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                              The Media is jumping the gun as usual and putting words in Shanahans mouth that he did not say. As of yesterday, Shanahan was not even sure if Boyd would dress.

On Boyd
                              "He has been on our practice squad for a while, so he is in football shape. He has had a chance to learn our terminology, and we have watched him run against our first defense. He is a big strong kid, and he has skills that I think give him a chance to compete at this level and do quite well. With a kid that has never played a football game in the National Football League, you're not sure if he is ready. We will see how he handles our game plan and decide if he does dress or get any playing time."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=8671

Even though that article was yesterday, the one just posted is from today.

They could have already ended their morning practice & interviewed Shanny on who's the starting RB today.

Who knows? We'll find out on in the next few days tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X