How to keep Woodyard AND Dj on the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep Woodyard AND Dj on the field

There seems to be alot of talk about moving DJ back to MIKE. So Woodyard can stay at WLB.
    DJ plays extremely well at WLB. He played good at MIKE. You may say, just good? Well yes, because although he had a gazillion tackles, our defense was horrendous. Most of his tackles were 5-10 yards off the line.

Now, DJ likes the OLB position, and does not want to be moved to MLB.

Woodyard has played exceptionaly well, and I too would like to keep him on the field.
    SO

Instead of moving DJ to MIKE. Why not SLB? He has the size and strength to play it. And he'll still be playing OLB.
    This would allow us to keep Woodyard on the field.

Leaving us with

SLB- DJ Williams
    MLB- Spencer Larson (This is what i'd like, but not sure)
    WLB- Wesley Woodyard

im hearing the slb spot can be played by the worst linebacker on a team and it would negate DJ's abilities

Comment

That would be stupid.

DJ HATES...HATES playing SLB. Playing on the strong side just takes away pretty much all of his abilities. He's not just some guy that can cover a TE...

Plus, he'll play less snaps as the SLB, because usually they'll come off the field on nickel and dime packages.

Comment

Originally posted by housemouse View Post
        There seems to be alot of talk about moving DJ back to MIKE. So Woodyard can stay at WLB.
        DJ plays extremely well at WLB. He played good at MIKE. You may say, just good? Well yes, because although he had a gazillion tackles, our defense was horrendous. Most of his tackles were 5-10 yards off the line.

Woodyard has played exceptionaly well, and I too would like to keep him on the field.
        SO

Instead of moving DJ to MIKE. Why not SLB? He has the size and strength to play it. And he'll still be playing OLB.

Leaving us with

SLB- DJ Williams
        WLB- Wesley Woodyard
        He HATES Sam. In fact some of the things he has said suggest he might like Mike better then Will.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

SO

Leaving us with

SLB- DJ Williams
          WLB- Wesley Woodyard
          I know there are a lot of other threads about this, and they may seem daunting to wade through. But if you had read any of them, you would know that DJ HATES SLB, and that would be the best way to lose him permanently. It's just not going to happen.

He may move to mike, or we might come up with a tweaked formation that puts in 4 LB's (like a 4-4), but he's not going to Sam

Comment

Yeah... you were a bit off saying he didn't like MIKE.

He's actually quoted as saying he'd like to play his career at it (MIKE).

Also, like the others have said... he abhors SLB. Do not ever expect to see D.J. at the SLB ever again in his career.

The two best LB's on this team are D.J. and Wesley so it makes sense that they take up the MLB and WLB positions.

Comment

Why not try Woodyard at SAM he has the speed and coverage skills to play it as he use to play saftey or maybe try him in the middle get 10 more pounds on him and you could easily have the next Al Wilson

Comment

Any position coach ...

... wants to start his best players regardless of which spot it is.

OL coaches have their top five and #6 who goes in wherever even if some shuffling is needed.

For tomorrow's game at Carolina, Larsen and Haggan are banged up. For all his enthusiasm and great attitude, Nate Webster just isn't the answer at MLB. He runs around too much instead of reading, stepping, breaking down and hitting. Larsen's technique is much better. Even Haggan has shown some MLB play which is more what is needed than Webster's usual.

Jamie Winborn has been doing a stellar job at SLB. He's got it covered. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Woodyard has brought his A+ game as an undrafted rookie free agent. He gets better each game. Watch the end of each play and look for #59 in the pile, usually at the bottom. The guy goes where the ball goes all the time.

DJ Williams is ready to return. It will be interesting to see what Coach Ryan wants to do about it. Do you sit Woodyard for DJ at WLB and start a banged up Larsen ... , or Webster at MLB? DJ played MLB last year and is a veteran NFL player. I'm thinking it's easier for him to move to MLB than it is to move Woodyard at this point of the season.

I, for one, am hoping to see Woodyard/WLB, Williams/MLB, Winborn/SLB, Bailey and Bly at corners and Barrett with plenty of playing time at Carolina tomorrow. Regardless of who lines up where, the Broncos will have their hands full trying to slow down the Panthers O.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I don't know if putting DJ in at Mike is the simple solution just because he played there last year, because he played there in a different system with a different Def. Co... I would like Woodyard being in there too, but it doesn't seem to be an easy fit... What if we moved to a 3-4? that would lessen our absolute lack of DTs, and a 3-4 is better against the run (at least it can't be worse than what we have now)

Comment

I believe the only way to truly make this work is to...

Go to the 3-4. I know it doesn't seem like a good option right now, but I think this would be the only way to keep our best players/linebackers on the field. There are a lot of teams that do great with the 3-4 and I just think that is where we should be. Take care.
                    Austin:thumb:

Comment

In order to implement this ...

Originally posted by Mstrmnd Forever View Post
                      Go to the 3-4. I know it doesn't seem like a good option right now, but I think this would be the only way to keep our best players/linebackers on the field. There are a lot of teams that do great with the 3-4 and I just think that is where we should be. Take care.
                      Austin:thumb:
                      ... you need a couple of gigantic NTs ... like Kris Jenkins of the Jets. Did you see him pick up Casey Wiegmann and use him as a club to knock Peyton Hillis down for a loss? Broncos don't have anyone close to that. Backers in NFL 50/3-4 Ds tend to be much bigger nowadays than when current Denver LBs coach, Jim Ryan, played in the "Orange Crush". Denver's speedy backers are more suited to a split-front DL as long as the tackles soak up blocks and the ends pursue.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

If Barret can pan out, I would be all for us moving more to a 4-4 look, almost what we had with Lynch.
                        sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                        SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

SO

Leaving us with

SLB- DJ Williams
                          WLB- Wesley Woodyard
                          horrible idea

DJ said publicly that he would NEVER PLAY SAM LINEBACKER FOR NOBODY AGAIN.......

absolutely horrible............

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Make Woodyard a SS

I'm sure there will be some comments about how dumb it is and how it wouldn't work.

But this dude is fast ( probably faster then any safety except Barret ), he isn't all that big and if needed he could lose a little bit of weight.

I know everyone wants him on the field and I agree, he is a tackling machine and is just a good football player.
                            sigpic

Comment

It seems obvious:

Woody (WLB)
                              DJ (MIKE)
                              WINBORN (SLB)

Woody, Barrett and Bell all look like they're going to be players! Even hope for Jack Williams. That's FOUR quality kids we just infused into our defense.

We just need a FS and a SLB in the offseason... Maybe sign a major free agent like Suggs or Nmadi.

A free agent signing (or two), plus 2-3 early-round draft selections, along with Champ, DJ, the young kids on the d-line AND the emergence of these rookies... WELL, it appears our defense doesn't need as much work as we thought a few weeks ago. ESPECIALLY if this Powell is a run-stuffing DT.

Comment

Working...
                              X