Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marsh Still Going For 100 Catches

http://www.examiner.com/a-1741406~Br...0_catches.html

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (Map, News) - Wide receiver Brandon Marshall vowed to catch 100 passes this season, even after he was suspended for the Denver Broncos' season opener for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

His promise looked good after hauling in 31 receptions and three touchdowns in his first three games back from the suspension, highlighted by his Week 2 against San Diego when he had 18 receptions for 166 yards and a touchdown.

Then his production fell off. Over the next eight weeks he had 41 receptions and only one touchdown, and the low point was his two catches for 27 yards against Miami on Nov. 2.

Marshall finally broke out against Kansas City last week with 11 receptions for 91 yards and two TDs, including the game-winner early in the fourth quarter.

Now with three weeks left in the season, Marshall has 83 receptions for 1,033 yards and six touchdowns and is on pace for another 100-catch season.

"It was big for me and it felt good," he said of the Chiefs game. "On the first touchdown, when I got into the end zone, I kissed it."

On his second score, Marshall caught a screen pass from quarterback Jay Cutler and plowed through the Chiefs defense for a 6-yard touchdown.

"I was hungry for that end zone," he said. "I smelled it and went and got it."

Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said he was pleased with Marshall's work away from the ball.

"I thought it was one of his better games blocking, playing a complete game," Shanahan said. "That's what you're looking for, not just catching the ball. That was his best game in a while. I was pleased with his effort, and it's going to take that type of effort to win this weekend."

The Broncos play at Carolina on Sunday.

The Broncos' thinning backfield means Cutler will continue to rely on his receivers to produce. Marshall, who had 102 catches last year, could top that mark with three solid weeks to finish the season.

"For the past two weeks I've been feeling great," he said. "Better than when I reported to camp. It was just a matter of time before I would do some things to help our team win. It feels good, and we're going to keep this thing going through the month of December."

Marshall got an extra boost this week when he found out he was the leading fans' vote-getter among AFC receivers for the Pro Bowl with 416,791.

"It means a lot for me, probably more than anyone," he said. "I have been through some things and I am just trying to show the fans that I have been doing the right things both on and off the field."

CanDB's comments:

I'd like to see Brandon hit 100 with a game to go! Seriously, get him the ball on a bunch of quick, crisp passes and let him play BMarsh football. If we go short early, we can set Carolina up for something longer, especially in the 2nd half. But get him the ball. I'd be happy with at least 8 or 9 catches on Sunday alone. Build his confidence to the point that he feels like the Beast again. He's bouyed by the votes, and he's the type of guy that responds when he is pumped.

yeah if you look at the stats from last year he finished the year with 37 catches and about 415 yards in the last 4 games and coincidence or not it was a week 14 matchup in which he had 10 catches for 115 yards and 2 td's against the same chiefs we just played where he had 11 catches and 91 yards and 2 td's ....with all the garbage i just said lol lets hope he tears it up the last 3 games left like last year

Comment

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
      yeah if you look at the stats from last year he finished the year with 37 catches and about 415 yards in the last 4 games and coincidence or not it was a week 14 matchup in which he had 10 catches for 115 yards and 2 td's against the same chiefs we just played where he had 11 catches and 91 yards and 2 td's ....with all the garbage i just said lol lets hope he tears it up the last 3 games left like last year
      Yes.....it's time for some old-fashioned BMarsh domination. But I'm talking quick and dirty, and yards after catch. And don't worry about that fumble crap, he deserves better than that.:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Yes.....it's time for some old-fashioned BMarsh domination. But I'm talking quick and dirty, and yards after catch. And don't worry about that fumble crap, he deserves better than that.:salute!:
        thats when marshall is at his best and sometimes he dissapears more the reason for more routes on the flats for marshall to be called especially when he is being double covered just get him the ball on screens and watch him go

Comment

I'm afraid of the jinx....But I have got to post about it anyway..

Marshall gets a 100 + catches...He is the Beast no doubt about it...

Even though I want the Broncos to clinch the AFC West this week...

I'm looking very closely at these numbers....

3679 23 14

I will would much rather have win instead of records and stats...

Whats so important and special about that .....

4089 27 5.2 20

4030 25 4.5 10

3970 26 4.8 14

3891 22 3.6 23

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ing-4000-club/

Jay Cutler thought 4,000 passing yards was a realistic possibility in only his third season as an NFL quarterback - just not this fast.

"I thought we'd have a chance going into the last game of getting 4,000," the Broncos quarterback said Wednesday. "But being able to maybe get it in Week 14 is kind of crazy."

With three games left, Cutler already has eight more completions and 22 more attempts than he had last season.

Yet it's his yardage that has really skyrocketed.

With 321 yards Sunday at Carolina, in his team's 14th game, he'll become only the third Broncos quarterback to hit the 4,000-yard threshold. He needs to average only 137 yards in the final three games to become the 38th quarterback in NFL history to hit the milestone.

At the same time, his current pace of 4,528 yards not only would obliterate the team's yardage record of 4,089 set by Jake Plummer in 2004 - John Elway is the only other Broncos quarterback to hit 4,000, with his 4,030-yard showing in 1993 - but makes him one of the fastest in NFL history to hit such yardage levels.
          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
            I'm afraid of the jinx....But I have got to post about it anyway..

Marshall gets a 100 + catches...He is the Beast no doubt about it...

Even though I want the Broncos to clinch the AFC West this week...

I'm looking very closely at these numbers....

3679 23 14

I will would much rather have win instead of records and stats...

Whats so important and special about that .....

4089 27 5.2 20

4030 25 4.5 10

3970 26 4.8 14

3891 22 3.6 23

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ing-4000-club/

Jay Cutler thought 4,000 passing yards was a realistic possibility in only his third season as an NFL quarterback - just not this fast.

"I thought we'd have a chance going into the last game of getting 4,000," the Broncos quarterback said Wednesday. "But being able to maybe get it in Week 14 is kind of crazy."

With three games left, Cutler already has eight more completions and 22 more attempts than he had last season.

Yet it's his yardage that has really skyrocketed.

With 321 yards Sunday at Carolina, in his team's 14th game, he'll become only the third Broncos quarterback to hit the 4,000-yard threshold. He needs to average only 137 yards in the final three games to become the 38th quarterback in NFL history to hit the milestone.

At the same time, his current pace of 4,528 yards not only would obliterate the team's yardage record of 4,089 set by Jake Plummer in 2004 - John Elway is the only other Broncos quarterback to hit 4,000, with his 4,030-yard showing in 1993 - but makes him one of the fastest in NFL history to hit such yardage levels.
            pretty sad when jake plummer has the record for anything in franchise history...not for long though....maybe both the tds and the yards

Comment

pretty sad when jake plummer has the record for anything in franchise history...not for long though....maybe both the tds and the yards
              I really wouldnt say it is sad....I was not a big surrporter of Plummer's per say but I cant take anything away from what he did and that was not my intended purpose either....

This is only intended to give Jay Cutler some recognition and to any that would doubt him because of some of the mistakes he has made....All the while he is providing us with some the Best QB play we have ever seen as fans of the Broncos no matter what generation of a fan you are and how the final part of the season plays out...What he is doing has been outstanding...

No matter what the final numbers ends up to be the the best year of a Broncos QB was ...

3635 27 5.4 11

Comment

I really wouldnt say it is sad....I was not a big surrporter of Plummer's per say but I cant take anything away from what he did and that was not my intended purpose either....

This is only intended to give Jay Cutler some recognition and to any that would doubt him because of some of the mistakes he has made....All the while he is providing us with some the Best QB play we have ever seen as fans of the Broncos no matter what generation of a fan you are and how the final part of the season plays out...What he is doing has been outstanding...

No matter what the final numbers ends up to be the the best year of a Broncos QB was ...

3635 27 5.4 11
                well with all the talk about how great john elway was you would think he would have that record definately not jake plummer....i was shocked when i heard that back in 04

Comment

Talk all the crap in the world you want to about Jake, he still owns the BEST WINNING% as a starting QB in Denver I believe.

Comment

I have to give credit where credit is due....

Jake had an AWESOME year that year, UNTIL....

He and his beard didn't show up and got waxed by Pitt in the AFC Championship game.

OK....Enough credit given, that loss made his awesome season even more forgettable!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Axe View Post
                      Talk all the crap in the world you want to about Jake, he still owns the BEST WINNING% as a starting QB in Denver I believe.
                      and a defense that year in and year out gave up an average of like 17 points a game...even with those numbers jake still found a way to single handedly lose games

Comment

Originally posted by 24SuperChamp View Post
                        I have to give credit where credit is due....

Jake had an AWESOME year that year, UNTIL....

He and his beard didn't show up and got waxed by Pitt in the AFC Championship game.

OK....Enough credit given, that loss made his awesome season even more forgettable!
                        nooooo that was 05 his record setting year was in 04 when he had 27 tds and 20 ints when he was just flinging it around even though we had a great running game and throwing lots of ints while at it

Comment

well with all the talk about how great john elway was you would think he would have that record definately not jake plummer....i was shocked when i heard that back in 04
                          This is true...I would say fans of other teams would guess Elway as well...

Elway was not just great he was the greatest ....

nooooo that was 05 his record setting year was in 04 when he had 27 tds and 20 ints when he was just flinging it around even though we had a great running game and throwing lots of ints while at it

Originally posted by Bronco Axe View Post
                          The Plummer Wars died years ago guys...My post was not intended for that at all...

What all 3 done statistically was amazing...This is only to point out as Denver fights to get into the playoffs Jay Cutler is on the threshold of doing something very special as a Broncos QB....
                          Last edited by LarryDean; 12-12-2008, 08:05 PM.

Comment

How exactly is that sad? Jake Plummer was a good quarterback.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is true...I would say fans of other teams would guess Elway as well...

Elway was not just great he was the greatest ....

The Plummer Wars died years ago...My post was not intended for that at all...What all 3 done statistically was amazing...This is only to point out as Denver fights to get into the playoffs Jay Cutler is on the threshold of doing something very special as a Broncos QB....

until 04 i thought elway had passed the 30 td mark plenty of times in his career....what jay is doing right now is better than what jake plummer did while in denver ....we shouldnt be 8 and 5 with that defense ....in contrast we are seeing what philip rivers does with a bad defense which is lead them to a 5 and 8 record..cutler is simply amazing

Comment

Working...
                              X