Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Clady-Sports Illustrated Article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ref=si_writers

When the Broncos selected offensive tackle Ryan Clady in the first round of April's draft, few expected the rookie to play at an all-star level during his first season. But after watching the former Boise State star shine during his first year, several scouts are already hailing Clady as a perennial Pro Bowler.

"He is a good young player," said an AFC South scout. "He will definitely be a Pro Bowler in the near future, if not this year."

Clady, who entered the draft after an All-American campaign as a junior, has been outstanding manning the left tackle position for the Broncos. He has only surrendered a half sack of QB Jay Cutler and has only three penalties on the season. Clady has been so solid at the position that the team has been able to leave the rookie singled up in pass protection regardless of the opponent. That tactic speaks volumes about the youngster's ability considering the slate of pass rushers Clady has faced throughout the season. Pro Bowlers John Abraham, Joey Porter and Shaun Phillips are a few of the league's top sack artists who have been stymied by the impressive rookie.

With his star pupil excelling against the best the league has to offer, Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan has been effusive in his praise of the youngster.

"I've never seen anybody do what he's done as a rookie," Shanahan told the Rocky Mountain News."He doesn't have penalties, doesn't have missed assignments. We don't double-team his guy. Sometimes a guy will have a good year because we double-team to that side... To not have to double-team people, to just say, 'Hey, you've got that guy regardless of who it is,' that doesn't happen in this league because there're too many top players."

Although Shanahan and others have placed Clady in the elite category, some scouts are still reserving judgment before proclaiming the rookie an instant all-star.

"He has been good, but not great, in my opinion," said an AFC West scout. "He is solid in pass protection, but only a marginal run blocker at this time. I don't see him as a Pro Bowler in 2008, but I can see him developing into a Pro Bowl-caliber player in a year or so."

Glad that Clady's starting to get noticed :salute!:

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ref=si_writers

When the Broncos selected offensive tackle Ryan Clady in the first round of April's draft, few expected the rookie to play at an all-star level during his first season. But after watching the former Boise State star shine during his first year, several scouts are already hailing Clady as a perennial Pro Bowler.

"He is a good young player," said an AFC South scout. "He will definitely be a Pro Bowler in the near future, if not this year."

Clady, who entered the draft after an All-American campaign as a junior, has been outstanding manning the left tackle position for the Broncos. He has only surrendered a half sack of QB Jay Cutler and has only three penalties on the season. Clady has been so solid at the position that the team has been able to leave the rookie singled up in pass protection regardless of the opponent. That tactic speaks volumes about the youngster's ability considering the slate of pass rushers Clady has faced throughout the season. Pro Bowlers John Abraham, Joey Porter and Shaun Phillips are a few of the league's top sack artists who have been stymied by the impressive rookie.

With his star pupil excelling against the best the league has to offer, Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan has been effusive in his praise of the youngster.

"I've never seen anybody do what he's done as a rookie," Shanahan told the Rocky Mountain News."He doesn't have penalties, doesn't have missed assignments. We don't double-team his guy. Sometimes a guy will have a good year because we double-team to that side... To not have to double-team people, to just say, 'Hey, you've got that guy regardless of who it is,' that doesn't happen in this league because there're too many top players."

Although Shanahan and others have placed Clady in the elite category, some scouts are still reserving judgment before proclaiming the rookie an instant all-star.

"He has been good, but not great, in my opinion," said an AFC West scout. "He is solid in pass protection, but only a marginal run blocker at this time. I don't see him as a Pro Bowler in 2008, but I can see him developing into a Pro Bowl-caliber player in a year or so."

Glad that Clady's starting to get noticed :salute!:
    Whats scary is they say he isnt that good at run blocking yet. But weve seen him make a lot of key run blocks on some plays. It scary to see what this guy will do when he is an elite run blockre to go along with an elite pass blocker
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
      Whats scary is they say he isnt that good at run blocking yet. But weve seen him make a lot of key run blocks on some plays. It scary to see what this guy will do when he is an elite run blockre to go along with an elite pass blocker
      it really is...i mentioned it on another thread also....this guy is a supreme pass-blocker, and once he gets his run-blocking even better.....he's gonna single handedly pwn the entire defensive line

Madden better be prepared to hand out its first 100 overall rating

sigpic

Comment

it really is...i mentioned it on another thread also....this guy is a supreme pass-blocker, and once he gets his run-blocking even better.....he's gonna single handedly pwn the entire defensive line

Madden better be prepared to hand out its first 100 overall rating
        If he ever wears a different jersey than a bronco jersey in his career i might have to cry
        sigpic

Comment

If he ever wears a different jersey than a bronco jersey in his career i might have to cry
          we better not let this guy walk.....he is already among the top 10 Offensive tackles in the game IMO and he could develop into the best very very soon.

It would break my heart to see Clady move on to another team...but that's 5 years away :salute!:

CP to ya

sigpic

Comment

I actually read at another stat site (can't tell you off the top of my head).. that the Denver Broncos OL is ranking at the top of run blocking as well.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
              I actually read at another stat site (can't tell you off the top of my head).. that the Denver Broncos OL is ranking at the top of run blocking as well.....
              how do they rank run-blocking????

sigpic

Comment

Clady for Pro-Bowl

sigpic

Comment

Clady for Pro-Bowl
                  He wont get the recognition he deserves, which sucks but the fact is, Jake Long will get more looks. Not only because Long was picked higher, but because the huge turnaround the Dolphins had this year. We did improve alot this season but it hasnt been a huge differential from last season. Look at Joe Thomas when he got Pro Bowl last year, the Browns went from bottom of the barrel to playoff contender. We went from a middle of the pack team to a team that will clinch a playoff spot thanks to a weak division.

But still, with the number of pass plays we have called and how few sacks he's given up, it would be a travesty if he didnt get selected.
                  A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler'stheMan View Post
                    We went from a middle of the pack team to a team that will clinch a playoff spot thanks to a weak division.

But still, with the number of pass plays we have called and how few sacks he's given up, it would be a travesty if he didnt get selected.
                    that argument doesnt fly anymore friend...yeah it is a weak division but we have a real shot to make it to 10-6, which is about normal for any playoff contender

sigpic

Comment

I will too. But we can keep him here if we keep him happy, healthy and playing...

and since he's the best in the league right now... I don't see us being that stupid.
                      sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I remember the knock on him was Strength, which he can clearly improve over the next few years.

But yea we got a Franchise LT
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm guessing the the AFC west scout is someone that blew it by missing out on this gem of an athlete.
                          Wanna play a game?? Check it out at milehighhitman7.webs.com

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighHitMan7 View Post
                            I'm guessing the the AFC west scout is someone that blew it by missing out on this gem of an athlete.
                            good for us

sigpic

Comment

He has been good, but not great, in my opinion.
                              What idiot AFC West scout said this?

He's good... but not great? Give me a break...

Clady has been GREAT... EXCELLENT....

I bet it's some Raider scout wishing he had a LT like Clady, coming in during his rookie year and SHUTTING DOWN top pass rushers of the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X