Illegal Block in the Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal Block in the Back

anyone else notice how many "illegal block in the back" penalties the Chiefs had last nite! They are keeping an eye out for that this year thank God! Hall might be lucky to get one legal kick return this year.
    chad c

It's utterly hilarious watching Bronco fans of all people whine and complain about things like this not getting called.

Just FYI, though, the league has changed the way they call blocks in the back. Several teams have been flagged repeatedly during the preseason because of the rule change.

Comment

why would i not complain? Denver lost last year on a ridiculous 5 or 6 illegal block in the back plays that cost them a game against KC? I dont understand how KC fans woudlnt care if they got beat on a call like that? Thats not being a fan in my opinion. If you dont care, your not a fan.
      chad c

Comment

There were three called against the Chiefs and at least one on the Rams side. If there were more I missed them. Just one more thing to be aware of this season.
        The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChadCollins
          [B]why would i not complain? Denver lost last year on a ridiculous 5 or 6 illegal block in the back plays that cost them a game against KC?
          No they didn't, that's just whining. The Dante Hall runback was not the final play of the game. If I recall correctly, there were nearly 7-10 minutes left in the 4th quarter after that play. KC only won by one point.

All Denver had to do was move the ball into field goal range just once against a shoddy defense. They couldn't do it. That is what cost them the game, plain and simple.

And it's funny to see Denver fans complaining because the Broncos have used illegal blocking tactics for years. Win by the sword, die by the sword.

For purposes of discussion, I believe the new rules state that if you block someone from the side and have a hand on their back in the process, they're going to flag it as a block in the back.

Comment

Or did anyone notice that Welbourn didn't get called when he got beat and snatched a piece of the back of a defender's jersey, or a few plays later when he got beat again and took a defender down after getting hold of his pads from behind?
            Sportsblog.org -- ThePostgame.com -- Bronczilla.blogspot.com

Comment

the bottom ilne is though, in last years game when Hall ran it back, you take those 7 points off the board, chances are, Denver wins and sweeps the Chiefs for the year. I HATE Kansas City so bad.
              chad c

Comment

Originally posted by touchdownking
                Legal or not, it was stunning.
                agrreed
                [iMG]

Comment

"Eating crow can be healthy, but it sure is difficult to swallow!"

Comment

I think the missed call(s) wouldn't STILL stick in my mind had it not been for the fact that one of them was directly in front of a ref. Right there; the ref was just a few feet away. The Portis fumble happens quite often; and it WAS hard to see, at least from a ref's point of view (they can't look at the jumob-tron); but the Hall-return was just bad reffing, period. To have one of the most obvious of it's type (block in the back) to be happening right in front of you and you not call it is just, utterly, horrible, reffing.

Still, you cannot change the past so it is best to let it go; as hard as that may be.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                    - Carl Sagan

Comment

Chef fans continue to be in denial regarding last years actions that particular day and we as Bronco fans have to live with it. It is history and it cannot change.

The acutally penalty itself is probably called 90% of the time on special teams and we have witnessed it being called already in preseason this year. This is an old rule that just needs to be watched more closely. I am sure the Broncos are not the only team that fell victim to this in the past.

Pass interference is another penalty that can change the outcome of a game and this rule should be watched more closely as well with most of the focus on the enforcement of the old rule about the 5 yard cushion for illegal contact.

Penalties/referees are human and that is part of the game but the idea of using reply for penalties IMO will never happen.
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Still, it should have been called, but life goes on.

Comment

Re: Illegal Block in the Back

Originally posted by ChadCollins
                          anyone else notice how many "illegal block in the back" penalties the Chiefs had last nite! They are keeping an eye out for that this year thank God! Hall might be lucky to get one legal kick return this year.
                          uh, it's pre-season...like, I think the refs are a little picky for all teams for thier coaches benefit...

I'm pretty sure all of Hall's returns were legal last year you fool.

Comment

shut up,

I guess none of you Broncos fans remember the fumble Clinton Portis had on the 6 yard line in Denver against KC right????

they didn't rule it a fumble, and also said they didn't see it and KC couldn't challenge the play.

GET OVER IT!!!

Comment

Legal or not, it was stunning.

Comment

Working...
                              X