Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which chapter of the offensive playbook needs tossed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which chapter of the offensive playbook needs tossed?

I am SICK and tired of seeing the backwards passes to WRs or even a "sneaky" one to a TE that gets us a net loss!! For years and years we've been doing this, especially on 3rd and short and I can count on two fingers the times it's worked!

If someone were to do a study on the number of plays where we throw to a WR who steps back catches the ball I think we'd find we've lost more yards with that play than we've gained in the last decade. Yet, it will work sometime or one out of ten.

Remember that stupid TE screen that we lost yardage on in the first half? Well, that came after we tried (on 3rd and short no less in 1st quarter) to throw backwards to a WR who...guess what...lost yardage!

If I were a DC of the opposing team I'd plan for that play in short yardage b/c I'd know that Shanny would try and fool me with that stupid gimmick he's been using for a decade. The most I can remember that kind of play getting is 8 yards.

This creative (which WAS creative 10 years ago, maybe) play is a good way to go four and out especially when they're in press coverage, which they are in short yardage situations.

BTW, it worked for Carolina b/c we were 7 yards + of the WR. But, no, we try it when they're lined up to jam the WR and know it's coming.

OK, I admit it, I HATE that play. I'd rather throw an incomplete pass for 20 than go out on 3rd down b/c I threw it for -3 yards.
    John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

The bubble screens had been working great up until the panther game.Obviously they game planned for it since weve been using it quite a bit.Marsh even scored on one in the KC game.

Comment

I think it fails much more than it works IMO. But, in short yardage situations it seems to be more guaranteed to get us to 4th down b/c they're pressing. It works when the offense is having success on a weak d. But Carolina was not the team to be using it on. Especially after it was failing and losing us yards.

Comment

tossed?

I think bates needs to wake up and open it up. He does good some game, and then others its the most generic obvious plays and even the defense knows whats comming.

We need. NO we MUST work the middle of the field. everything is to the outside.

The only middle plays are the seem route to scheff/ grahm or the long drag where brandon starts wide then runs all the way across the field.

Work the middle. Quick slants, crosses anything, and everything.

As for taken out. How about Tatum bell up the middle. We could get more yards on a Qb sneak.
        So far:
        FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
        1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
          tossed?

I think bates needs to wake up and open it up. He does good some game, and then others its the most generic obvious plays and even the defense knows whats comming.

We need. NO we MUST work the middle of the field. everything is to the outside.

The only middle plays are the seem route to scheff/ grahm or the long drag where brandon starts wide then runs all the way across the field.

Work the middle. Quick slants, crosses anything, and everything.

As for taken out. How about Tatum bell up the middle. We could get more yards on a Qb sneak.

I agree somewhat. As far as more plays in the middle but at the same time, you have to remember it wasn't to long ago Jay wasn't checking down his recievers. There has been several occasions that we had players wide open in the middle and Jay just didn't look there. But I think in time he will realise the players that he has and will do better. Perhaps even being at the Pro Bowl with the likes of Peyton and Ben might help?

Comment

I have to admit...

When I read the title of this thread, I had the exact same play in mind that the OP did.
            Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic
            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

How about 3 up the gut for no gain. It's always been my personal favorite.
              [sigpic

Comment

Running on 2nd and ten bugs the crap out of me. This is basically planning to have third and long. If you are going to run, run on first down. Second and six or seven, leaves your options open. I don't mind a pass on first down, but if it falls incomplete you've got trouble.

I also hate running on third and long, a screen maybe, that sometimes works. Its frustrating to see third downs and have the pass be behind the line of gain, at least give yourself a chance and throw beyond the first down marker.

sigpic
                \

Comment

We should ban the center sneak. Oh, wait, I guess that's already banned. Used to be great strategy on the elementary school playground though.

Comment

How about we throw that field goal thing out the window, it never seems to work
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by since1977 View Post
                      I am SICK and tired of seeing the backwards passes to WRs or even a "sneaky" one to a TE that gets us a net loss!! For years and years we've been doing this, especially on 3rd and short and I can count on two fingers the times it's worked!

If someone were to do a study on the number of plays where we throw to a WR who steps back catches the ball I think we'd find we've lost more yards with that play than we've gained in the last decade. Yet, it will work sometime or one out of ten.

Remember that stupid TE screen that we lost yardage on in the first half? Well, that came after we tried (on 3rd and short no less in 1st quarter) to throw backwards to a WR who...guess what...lost yardage!

If I were a DC of the opposing team I'd plan for that play in short yardage b/c I'd know that Shanny would try and fool me with that stupid gimmick he's been using for a decade. The most I can remember that kind of play getting is 8 yards.

This creative (which WAS creative 10 years ago, maybe) play is a good way to go four and out especially when they're in press coverage, which they are in short yardage situations.

BTW, it worked for Carolina b/c we were 7 yards + of the WR. But, no, we try it when they're lined up to jam the WR and know it's coming.

OK, I admit it, I HATE that play. I'd rather throw an incomplete pass for 20 than go out on 3rd down b/c I threw it for -3 yards.
                      With no running game expect to see alot of Bubble Screens and Draw plays, these are things the Broncos fall back on when they dont have a runner like Hillis who can pound it up the gut, you have to resort to finesse and trickplays to try make up for no run, it only took the Panthers defense two possessions to figure out that denver had no running game and then they went to work shutting Cutler down.
                      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                        I have to admit...

When I read the title of this thread, I had the exact same play in mind that the OP did.
                        I am honored!

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
                          With no running game expect to see alot of Bubble Screens and Draw plays, these are things the Broncos fall back on when they dont have a runner like Hillis who can pound it up the gut, you have to resort to finesse and trickplays to try make up for no run, it only took the Panthers defense two possessions to figure out that denver had no running game and then they went to work shutting Cutler down.
                          Well, it's better to use a running game w/Bell or someone rather than those plays b/c they're not going to work.

Comment

Let's get rid of that "Throw it to the other team" play. Seems to have very negative results on most occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by since1977 View Post
                              I think all plays have a time and a place. I just think we haven't been doing them at optimal times, and the execution hasn't been great.

I don't agree that you can't run these screens in tight coverage. Smith's TD on Bly was an example of how this route should be run. If Bly covered soft on the outside, he would have had a shot at Smith. But since he was tight, Smith was able to roll out of the slot with Muhammad screening both his own and Smith's defender. Easy TD.

The same screen against off coverage leads to a short gain (though with Smith, you never know).
                              "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X