No announcement yet.

Do the Chargers Deserve to Make Playoffs over the Broncos?? Lets Hear From Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the Chargers Deserve to Make Playoffs over the Broncos?? Lets Hear From Them

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...ason/?chargers

Do the Chargers deserve to advance to the postseason?
    Kevin Acee (Contact)

Monday, December 15, 2008

Asked at a different time, the answer might have been different.

But in the aftermath of a stirring comeback win on the road that kept them germane in the AFC West for another week, the Chargers believe they deserve to go to the playoffs.

That was the question posed to a dozen of them as this so-far disappointing season improbably keeps ticking: Do you deserve to go to the playoffs?

“Yes,” linebacker Stephen Cooper said quickly.

No 6-8 team should have the privilege of pondering playoff possibilities, should it?

But this one does, because its division is so weak and is led by the Denver Broncos, an 8-6 squad that has had as many astonishing losses as surprising victories.

Denver had to win Sunday at Carolina to secure the AFC West title. It lost by 20. The Broncos still need only one victory or a Chargers loss in the final two games to clinch the division.

While the Chargers travel to Tampa Bay (9-5) this Sunday, the Broncos will be home against Buffalo (6-8). Already this year, the Broncos have lost at home to sub-.500 Oakland and Jacksonville, and they had to squelch a late drive by Kansas City to beat the Chiefs in Denver two Sundays ago.

If the Chargers beat the Buccaneers and the Bills can do them a favor, the Dec. 28 Broncos-Chargers game at Qualcomm Stadium will be for the AFC West title.

A season full of almosts will come down to an afternoon of all or nothing.

“If it could get to that point, the (previous) 15 games you can throw out,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “It won't matter.”

That's still a big if, and the Chargers are loath to deal in any more ifs. When the final score of Carolina's victory over Denver was called out from various sections of the team plane Sunday evening, there was hardly a murmur of reaction. After a season of watching and waiting for Denver to collapse, the Chargers finally realize any good fortune must begin with them.

“We just have to look forward to playing Tampa Bay and get that win,” Jamal Williams said.

The fact that game still has relevance to the Chargers makes this a discussion worth having.

If they do pull the double of getting a victory and getting fortunate on Sunday and can then avenge their one-point September loss at Denver, they will have finished with a four-game winning streak. Sure, they'd be just the second 8-8 team to win a division since 1970 and just the sixth to make the playoffs since the current 12-team format was instituted in 1990. But they'd be in.

“You earn your right to the playoffs,” running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. “So if it comes about where we get some help, then we've earned our way to the playoffs.”

The argument has to be seen as valid. Should the Chargers win their final two games and head to January on a winning streak, the season must be viewed with new perspective.

There will be talk of how this difficult season – with its late losses to Carolina, Denver, Pittsburgh and Indianapolis – was character building, preparing them for playoff pressure.

“Do we deserve?” cornerback Quentin Jammer repeated. “Yes. I'm going to tell you why. When you lose as many games by three or fewer points as we did off some bullcrap, yes, we deserve to go to the playoffs.”

There are players that will reverse their opinion come this Sunday should the Chargers be eliminated. They will have no choice. They'll be out of the playoffs. Discussion over.

They all know that no matter what Ed Hochuli or any of the other officials they believe sabotaged them did, no matter what injuries to key players they suffered, they should have won more games.

“We had our opportunity, we blew it four or five times,” receiver Chris Chambers said. “It should be in the pocket right now.”
    He added, “But you never know.”

For that, the opportunity to still believe, to play a game that matters this weekend, the Chargers are defiant.

“I don't know if deserve would be the word,” linebacker Shaun Phillips said. “But I'd take getting in there any way we can get in there. It happens that way sometimes. You get an opportunity to go, you deserve to go.”
    It's semantics, really.

If the Broncos win a game, the Chargers will have gotten what they deserved.

Should the Broncos collapse and the Chargers' ascension come to fruition, it will be argued forever whether the Chargers “deserved” to be in the 2008 postseason. But they'll be there.

“Whether you deserve to or not, you get there, you get there,” guard Mike Goff said. “You win your division, you win your division. It doesn't matter whether you deserve it or not.”

CanDB's Comments:

I think we should keep some of this in mind, if we ever challenge whether or not we deserve to be in the playoffs. Like Goff says, "you get there" "whether you deserve it or not". In our case, we may end up with 10 and 6, or even 9 and 7 (we'll beat Buffalo), which to me is not such a bad statement for what we've had to deal with, not to mention it isn't something to apologize about.

The division winner deserves to go to the playoffs regardless of how they got there. That team will be us.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...ason/?chargers

, and they had to squelch a late drive by Kansas City to beat the Chiefs in Denver two Sundays ago.
      Didn't the Sparklers have to do this EXACT SAME THING when they played them in San Diego?

To answer the question, no they don't deserve to make the playoffs but even if they did, life isn't fair. I don't deserve to be this good looking but that is the way life is!

Comment

It is all ACADEMIC after Sunday, Chargirls will LOSE, Broncos WILL WIN! I am certain about this, confident about this, cocky about this, whatever you want to call it. Charredgirlz will lose in a blowout Denver will win in a Blowout!:salute!:

Denver - 48

Buffalo - 17
        ----------
        San Diego 10

Tampa 34

Comment

The team that wins the division deserves to make the playoffs. If Denver wins one of the next two games, then it deserves to go to the playoffs. If we lose both games, then San Diego deserves to make the playoffs.

I agree with LT here. If you've earned the spot (even if it came with some "help" from the other teams), you deserve it.

BTW, Quentin Jammer is full of crap. Almost wins don't count. Everyone would benefit if they did.
          Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

The only thing separating our two records is the Hochuli call, think about that.

Plus you guys get rocked by teams like KC and Oakland, and we lost by less than a FG to both Indy and Pittsburgh. Not a doubt in my mind the Chargers deserve it more than the Broncos.

Comment

Honestly I hope we make it, I think we will make it, and the chargers don't deserve to go. With that being said, out of our two teams, the one that could go further this year would be the chargers. Sadly with an 8-8 record the chargers could actually make it to the SB, our broncos cannot. Not this year, but we have more promise than them. Next year we will outshine them in talent.

Comment

Originally posted by matilack View Post
                The only thing separating our two records is the Hochuli call, think about that.

Plus you guys get rocked by teams like KC and Oakland, and we lost by less than a FG to both Indy and Pittsburgh. Not a doubt in my mind the Chargers deserve it more than the Broncos.
                4 of the Chargers 6 wins have been against the Raiders and the Chiefs. Hochui call or not, what has that team done to deserve the playoffs? Almost wins don't count in the playoffs you know.

That said if it comes down to the final game and, heaven forbid, the Chargers win, then they deserve the spot. But if the Broncos win then not only are the Chargers eliminated from the playoffs, but the sad rallying cry that is the Hochuli call can finally be put to rest.
                http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...uff/hillis.gif

Comment

Wah wah wah, right mati? Different site, same whining.

If you could stop us at all when we drove 80 yards to your doorstep in week 2, the Hochuli call wouldn't have ever happened. Think about that.
                  In Manning I trust.

Comment

i bet you went through every game played and made sure that the chargers got the worse end of the deal right?

how many good teams have you guys beaten? 2? i'd rather at least know that my team is capable of beating good teams
                    Pro McD

Comment

HAHAHA!!

Quentin Jammer, he's hilarious.

"...lost on some bullcrap"

DIDN'T YOU GET YOUR ASS TORCHED TO THE TUNE OF 18 RECEPTIONS IN THAT "BULLCRAP"??

HAHAHAHAHAHAA
                      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

If you get the Hochuli call and win the game, we don't get the bogus make-up calls in the games against Miami and Jacksonville an win those two. We also don't get overconfident and lose to KC.

So that call actually prevented us from going 10-4 instead of hte 8-6 we are now and already wrapping up the division.

Think about that
                        Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

If this game is for the division, one thing is for sure: their will be few penalties called. There will be even fewer called against San Diego. The league wont want there to be the perception that they were out to get SD or out to help Denver.

As for the Sparkler player comments, they can say whatever they want. This division could have easily been their's. They laid an egg against NO, BUFF, ATL.

Also, I find it interesting that not one of their comments alludes to the idea of backing in. Players know it is about getting into the playoffs and seeing what happens from there.

Comment

Go make a whinery with all your sour grapes. Your team is a joke. You were the consensus favortie to rep the AFC in the SB. Your FO BOTCHED the Merriman injury all together. One injury and your team falls flat on their face? I don't think so! Our entire D has been injured and we win.

You've been Norv'd! Get over it.

Comment

People need to lay off the damn Hochuli call. What seperates the Chargers from us is their inability to win close games vs our ability to win close games. The Chargers are 2-7 in games decided by a touchdown or less, where as we are 6-1 in games decided by 7 points or less. They will never give up on that week 2 game, but what about their loss on the last play of the game a week earlier to the Panthers? Or the game against the Colts where LT dropped a pass and they ended up leaving way too much time on the clock for Peyton? Good teams win those types of games and the Chargers have failed to do that this year plain and simple.
                              Bronco fan from the Land of 10,000 Lakes!

Comment

Working...
                              X