Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to clear up a few things on W. Woodyard

Strongside linebacker
    The strongside linebacker (SLB) is often nicknamed "Sam" for purposes of calling a blitz. Since the strong side of the offensive team is the side on which the tight end lines up, or whichever side contains the most personnel, the strongside linebacker usually lines up across from the tight end. Often the strongside linebacker will be called upon to tackle the running back on a play, because the back will be following the tight end's block. He is most often the strongest linebacker, at the least he possess the ability to withstand, shed, and fight off blocks from a TE or a FB blocking the backside of a pass play. The linebacker should also have strong safety abilities in pass situation to cover the tight end in man on man situations. He should also have considerable quickness to read and get into coverage in zone situations. The purpose of the strongside linebackers is to read the quarterback's eyes and try to figure out what he is going to do before he does it. The "Sam" linebacker has to read the offensive play if he wants to shut down the opposing team's strategy on all 4 downs of the quarter, and for 4 quarters of a game.

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/wes...iew080001.html

What’s your biggest area needing improvement?

“Obviously I’m not one of the biggest LB’s so I need to stay low and keep blockers off of me.”

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/...r%3fid%3d11988

oodyard is going to have problems anchoring when teams run at him and he doesn't open his hips well when forced to turn and run in man coverage.

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=5872

Woodyard is undersized and, despite his speed, lacks lateral quickness that NFL teams like to see in their linebackers. Some scouts describe him as “stiff” and worry that this might negate the advantage that his speed gives him, placing a big red flag on a possible conversion to safety. Also, even with his success as a playmaker and tackler in college, some feel that Woodyard’s poor tackling form will catch up with him at the next level

Strengths: Is always making plays and always around the football…A great tackler who plays bigger than his frame indicates …Can probably add 15-20 more pounds of muscle in the next few years…Has long arms… A true leader who pumps up his defense…Loves the game and is one of those prospects you label as a “true football player”…Will probably be a good special teamer in the NFL…Has four years of starting experience in the toughest conference in football…Second in the SEC in 2006 with 122 tackles.

http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2008wwoodyard.php

Weaknesses: Doesn’t have great coverage skills…Needs to fill out his frame and bulk up if he wants to play linebacker at the NFL…...Has the instincts all great linebackers have but does he have the physical tools?...A late-round prospect.

Notes: If you watch Kentucky football you keep hearing “Woodyard” because he makes so many plays in the box on defense…Was a projected safety coming into college but former defensive coordinator Mike Archer moved him to weak-side linebacker and has thrived since…Can he play inside linebacker?...Scouts are going to love to watch tape on this kid because he plays the game with heart, although he might just be a great collegiate player not cut out for the pros.

Woodyard is a very tricky player to project (I am telling you!) because of his lack of bulk...maybe he can play the WLB psoition with his 4.4 speed at UK's pro day but in my personal opinion I think he can really bulk up and play ILB into a 3-4 defense with his instincts and toughness. Woodyard was the ONLY player last year that got a solo tackle on Michael Bush on UK's defense (remember, he ended Bush's season and sent him to Day 2 of the draft).

http://warroomreport.com/index.php?o...d=171&Itemid=1

Strengths: Amazingly productive leading the UK defense…100+ tackles three years in a row…natural athlete who is comfortable in coverage…fluid hips and good change of direction ability…good wrap-up tackler…effective in breaking up passes in coverage…great intangibles…

Weaknesses: Undersized and lacks bulk…may be a bit of tweener…not strong at the point of attack and will be susceptible to being run at…may only fit certain schemes…may have to move to a safety position…

Overall: Woodyard was very productive at Kentucky, but he faces the challenge of being too small for the next level. He has great speed and acceleration, which has some projecting him to a safety position at the next level. He appears best suited to play on the weakside in a traditional Cover 2 like Tampa or Detroit. At worst, he is a terrific backup and special teams standout.

I hope this makes things a little more clear
    That he knows nothing at all.

Good post

You would think DJ would be a very good SAM linebacker judging the description of the position..
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cutler7624 View Post
      Good post

You would think DJ would be a very good SAM linebacker judging the description of the position..
      DJ was turning into a very good SAM, he just hates playing the position.
      Signature for rent.

Comment

This doesn't clear anything up....the first paragraph basically yells that Woodyard can play Sam Linebacker because he can cover TE's like a safety and is excellent at avoiding blockers with his athleticism....and then you give a bunch of crap of what scouts think of him...and that he wouldn't be a good Sam Linebacker.....now I'm more confused

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
          This doesn't clear anything up....the first paragraph basically yells that Woodyard can play Sam Linebacker because he can cover TE's like a safety and is excellent at avoiding blockers with his athleticism....and then you give a bunch of crap of what scouts think of him...and that he wouldn't be a good Sam Linebacker.....now I'm more confused
          You are trying to make him someone he isn't. Based on his size and skill set, he isn't cut out to be a SAM. I know he makes alot of plays, but his biggest assets (speed, instincts) are negated at at SAM. Im not foolish enough to say he couldn't play there, but he fits the WILL spot much better.

He is most often the strongest linebacker, at the least he possess the ability to withstand, shed, and fight off blocks from a TE or a FB blocking the backside of a pass play
          Is he our strongest linebacker? doubt it. Can he fight off blocks? not as well as needed at SAM. He is only ok in coverage
          Weaknesses: Doesn’t have great coverage skills…Needs to fill out his frame and bulk up if he wants to play linebacker at the NFL…...Has the instincts all great linebackers have but does he have the physical tools?...A late-round prospect.
          Woodyard is going to have problems anchoring when teams run at him and he doesn't open his hips well when forced to turn and run in man coverage.
          not strong at the point of attack and will be susceptible to being run at…may only fit certain schemes
          He appears best suited to play on the weakside in a traditional Cover 2 like Tampa or Detroit
          Woodyard is a very tricky player to project (I am telling you!) because of his lack of bulk...maybe he can play the WLB psoition with his 4.4 speed
          Signature for rent.

Comment

this sounds more like woodyard
            The weakside linebacker (WLB), or "Will", must be the fastest of the three, because he is often the one called into pass coverage. He is also usually chasing the play from the backside, so the ability to maneuver through traffic is a necessity for Will. Will usually aligns off the line of scrimmage at the same depth as Mike. Because of his position on the weakside, Will does not often have to face large interior linemen one on one unless one is pulling. In coverage, Will often covers the back that attacks his side of the field first in man coverage, while covering the weak flat or hook/curl areas in zone coverage. In a 3-4 defense the "Will" Linebacker plays on the "weakside" of the two middle Linebacker positions and a 4th Linebacker comes in to play the weakside. Known as a "Rush", "Rover", and/or "Buck" Linebacker, their responsibility is more pass rush based but often is called into run stop (gap control) and pass coverage
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker
            Signature for rent.

Comment

Woodyard at SS in a 3safety nickle:
              4 DL
              DJ (WLB), Larsen (MLB)
              Champ, Barrett, McCree(FS), Woodyard, Bly

Woodyard at SLB against passing teams:
              4 DL
              DJ (WLB), Larsen (MLB), Woodyard (SLB)
              Champ, Barrett, McCree(FS), Bly

Yes, it's the same thing with Woodyard still covering the TE. Against run-oriented teams, another LB should be brought in at SLB and Woodyard moved to SS - Barrett moved to FS. Against passing teams, I don't care if we call Woodyard a SS in a 3safety Nickle or a SLB in a 4-3, his role is the same.

Woodyard is not a SLB, but is a great player that we need on the field. What we call him is just semantics.

Comment

Originally posted by ging View Post
                You are trying to make him someone he isn't. Based on his size and skill set, he isn't cut out to be a SAM. I know he makes alot of plays, but his biggest assets (speed, instincts) are negated at at SAM. Im not foolish enough to say he couldn't play there, but he fits the WILL spot much better.

Is he our strongest linebacker? doubt it. Can he fight off blocks? not as well as needed at SAM. He is only ok in coverage
                Woodyard isnt the strongest guy out there, but he's virtually unblockable....his athleticism allows him to make the blocker that's trying to engage him look silly......AFC Playbook broke Woodyard down right after the Cleveland game.

Winborn isn't anything special but he's been a solid Sam.....Boss is just pure speed and he was doing well at Sam.....

Of course Woodyard fits the Will linebacker spot better, but he could play Sam if he got time to learn the position

sigpic

Comment

Can you imagine Barrett/McCree and Woodyard as our safeties in 2009? And no safety signed through free agency or draft? I believe almost everyone here would scream in despair. I would like to see Woodyard at WLB, backup or not.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    Can you imagine Barrett/McCree and Woodyard as our safeties in 2009? And no safety signed through free agency or draft? I believe almost everyone here would scream in despair. I would like to see Woodyard at WLB, backup or not.
                    thank god, McCree wont be back next year...he's on a 1 year deal and we wont give him an extension with the way he's played..............

sigpic

Comment

Woodyard isnt the strongest guy out there, but he's virtually unblockable....his athleticism allows him to make the blocker that's trying to engage him look silly......AFC Playbook broke Woodyard down right after the Cleveland game.

Winborn isn't anything special but he's been a solid Sam.....Boss is just pure speed and he was doing well at Sam.....

Of course Woodyard fits the Will linebacker spot better, but he could play Sam if he got time to learn the position
                      His athleticism is what makes him shine.....as a WILL where he has space to move around linemen and get to the ball carrier. He wont have that space at SAM
                      Signature for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by sage View Post
                        Woodyard at SS in a 3safety nickle:
                        4 DL
                        DJ (WLB), Larsen (MLB)
                        Champ, Barrett, McCree(FS), Woodyard, Bly

Woodyard at SLB against passing teams:
                        4 DL
                        DJ (WLB), Larsen (MLB), Woodyard (SLB)
                        Champ, Barrett, McCree(FS), Bly

Yes, it's the same thing with Woodyard still covering the TE. Against run-oriented teams, another LB should be brought in at SLB and Woodyard moved to SS - Barrett moved to FS. Against passing teams, I don't care if we call Woodyard a SS in a 3safety Nickle or a SLB in a 4-3, his role is the same.

Woodyard is not a SLB, but is a great player that we need on the field. What we call him is just semantics.
                        Im really torn, I dont feel woodyard is good enough in coverage to be a SS nor should Barrett play FS. Woodyard really is a tweener. I feel he really has shown he can play Will, and it's really hard to take him off the field. I really wish DJ wasn't so against playing SAM, he was doing a nice job there. I don't really like him at Mike either, but it may be the best solution to get them all on the field. In any event, its actually a good problem to have.
                        Signature for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by ging View Post
                          His athleticism is what makes him shine.....as a WILL where he has space to move around linemen and get to the ball carrier. He wont have that space at SAM
                          stop trying to use facts and logic . . . .you wont change his mind
                          sigpic
                          -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                            stop trying to use facts and logic . . . .you wont change his mind
                            I never disagreed with ging.........we both believe that Woodyard is a better WILL and can play SAM, but I believe Woodyard can play SAM a little more than ging does

sigpic

Comment

I never disagreed with ging.........we both believe that Woodyard is a better WILL and can play SAM, but I believe Woodyard can play SAM a little more than ging does
                              we both believe he is better at Will. I just don't think he is a good fit at Sam. It takes away his strengths and exposes his weaknesses.
                              Signature for rent.

Comment

Working...
                              X