The We Need More Talent on D Myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The We Need More Talent on D Myth

Talk to almost any Slowik supporter and they will tell you he needs more talent before we judge him. I don't buy it for one minute!

Here is a list of teams in the NFL loads of talent that aren't ranked in the top 10 in Overall Defense. It shows that leadership counts for as much as talent in this league.

This is a list of teams with 1st round Draft picks going back to 2000 on D and their 2008 defensive rank

Houston Texans-6 players selected in the first round!

St. Louis-8 picks in the first round!

Oakland-7 1st round picks on D

Seattle-4 players in the 1st round

San Francisco-7 players
    Rank 16th

Jacksonville-4 players selected

I could go on and on here. I think it is important to note that the Steelers are the number one overall Defense in the league and they have no more than 3 1st round draft picks on Defense! Baltimore is #2 and they have only taken 3 guys in the first round.

This is a team that needs some to draft more on D but by no means do we need to spend years and years of draft picks on D. We need a coach who knows how to coach em up.

I had a change in heart yesterday....Slowik has gotta go

But "experts" say that the Broncos can't afford to change D-coordinators again and that Slowik will probably come back

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

where a player is drafted doesnt matter as your proving. what matters is how a player fits your scheme. does slowick even have a scheme? lol
      sigpic

Comment

what i saw yesterday is a good defense for the first 2 drives and it reminded me of larry coyers D in 05 but for some reason as its been all season long we reverted to trying not to lose a game instead of grabbing the bills by their throats and crushing them

Comment

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
          what i saw yesterday is a good defense for the first 2 drives and it reminded me of larry coyers D in 05 but for some reason as its been all season long we reverted to trying not to lose a game instead of grabbing the bills by their throats and crushing them
          I was AMAZED the first two defensive series for the Broncos....and then it all went downhill from there

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
            I had a change in heart yesterday....Slowik has gotta go

But "experts" say that the Broncos can't afford to change D-coordinators again and that Slowik will probably come back
            I hear you, GL47. When it comes to the "experts" remember if they were experts they wouldn't be on tv or the radio! Defense is the easier side of the ball to turn around. It is the side of the ball you can see almost instant results. It is also the side of the ball where one player can improve you instantly and dramatically.

Denver was toward the bottom of the league prior to drafting Atwater. The following year we were top 10. Look at Polumalu and Sanders for their teams.

Comment

I posted this earlier on another thread, Why do they play like studs for a quarter or two and then lay and egg when it counts? It has to be coaching! Remember when Bill Parcells took over the Dolphins? The first thing he did was clean house. Slowik and possibly Shanny would go in the first round.

It didn't take 4 years or a whole new D line to rebuild that team did it? It took a GM!
              [sigpic

Comment

What astounds me about our DC is that he is the former DB/secondary coach and that is the most aggravating thing about this defense. I am so tired of seeing zone and 10 yard cushions on 2nd and 3. We pay all of our dbs good money for sure and then we misuse them. To me it shows that slowik just won't make the necessary adjustments.

This bend but don't break defense is getting really old. It is hard to argue that we only have a problem with talent or coaching when it is obvious that we have a problem with both.

Something definitely needs to change, but will it?

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
                  Talk to almost any Slowik supporter and they will tell you he needs more talent before we judge him. I don't buy it for one minute!

Here is a list of teams in the NFL loads of talent that aren't ranked in the top 10 in Overall Defense. It shows that leadership counts for as much as talent in this league.

This is a list of teams with 1st round Draft picks going back to 2000 on D and their 2008 defensive rank

Houston Texans-6 players selected in the first round!

St. Louis-8 picks in the first round!

Oakland-7 1st round picks on D

Seattle-4 players in the 1st round

San Francisco-7 players
                  Rank 16th

Jacksonville-4 players selected

I could go on and on here. I think it is important to note that the Steelers are the number one overall Defense in the league and they have no more than 3 1st round draft picks on Defense! Baltimore is #2 and they have only taken 3 guys in the first round.

This is a team that needs some to draft more on D but by no means do we need to spend years and years of draft picks on D. We need a coach who knows how to coach em up.
                  I am not a fan of Slowik by any means. Still our defense does not have the talent or the ability to compete, paticularly on the d-line and by default the secondary. We need to get bigger DTs who can block the middle and bigger DEs who can rush the passer. And we need some leaders on the field. With guys like DJ and Champ out, nobody can lead the team on the field.

I am not expecting a monster defense like the Ravens or the Steelers, heck, I would be happy with mediocre. Slowik can get us to a middle of the pack defense with some better guys, and in a few years down the line we can get a really good guy when the opportunity arises.
                  http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...uff/hillis.gif

Comment

We dont need more talent..... We have to people on this D with talent a CB and our Wlb... Probably the two least improtant positions. We need a ton of talent. But like a few of you have mentioned... Then need the RIGHT talent. we need a person to Capt. this D, we need a MLB that can get to and make a tackle, and we need a safety that can cover up any mistakes. I say move DJ back to the middle, put Woodyard at the WLB, overhaul the Dline. Cut Webster, Boss, Mcree, Manual, Bly, & Moss Then first and foremost.... Get a real DC that can see talent, can get talent, and then stick with his system
                    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Shanahan always says the best players play. Well...in the 3 games Webster and Williams have been back their tackles have been:

Webster: 1 tackle, 5 tackles, 1 tackle yesterday
                      Williams: 0 tackles, 3 tackles, 4 yesterday!

WOW!

When Woodyard and Larsen played they averaged close to 10 a piece! We have talent. They just insist on sticking with the veterans.

Furthermore, this team showed plenty when we saw a little aggressive play calling in the first two series!

Comment

This thread makes absoultaly no sence.
                        Judging how good some one is based in when they're drafted?

So I guess your saying Terrell Davis sucked...as well as Shannon Sharpe.

Comment

Originally posted by housemouse View Post
                          This thread makes absoultaly no sence.
                          Judging how good some one is based in when they're drafted?

So I guess your saying Terrell Davis sucked...as well as Shannon Sharpe.
                          Try reading the Slowik thread. Furthermore, the assumption was never made that 1st round draft ='s success. Just look at Jarvis Moss.

The Slowik supporters have argued this team isn't talented enough on D and the team hasn't invested enough draft picks on D. The thread clearly shows that the top D's in the league get the most out of their players i.e. Pittsburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
                            Shanahan always says the best players play. Well...in the 3 games Webster and Williams have been back their tackles have been:

Webster: 1 tackle, 5 tackles, 1 tackle yesterday
                            Williams: 0 tackles, 3 tackles, 4 yesterday!

WOW!

When Woodyard and Larsen played they averaged close to 10 a piece! We have talent. They just insist on sticking with the veterans.

Furthermore, this team showed plenty when we saw a little aggressive play calling in the first two series!
                            Well, there's monetary considerations as well. Why else do you think we traded away Foxworth and kept Bly, despite the fact that both were equal in talent but one was making considerably more money and would have given us a serious hit against the cap?

They signed DJ to a long-term contract just this season. They can't NOT play him, despite Shanahan's insistance that he only plays the best at all times.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                              Well, there's monetary considerations as well. Why else do you think we traded away Foxworth and kept Bly, despite the fact that both were equal in talent but one was making considerably more money and would have given us a serious hit against the cap?

They signed DJ to a long-term contract just this season. They can't NOT play him, despite Shanahan's insistance that he only plays the best at all times.
                              That DJ contract is not way over done. If Denver wanted, they could take a chance and trade him. Bill Williamson mentioned it earlier just after the signing. I am not saying to do that but at some point it is pretty clear Woodyard, Larsen, Winborn played much better than Williams Webster Winborn.

Comment

Working...
                              X