Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This D-HIXON article might prove we have our future RB already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This D-HIXON article might prove we have our future RB already!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...on_is_cat.html

In Plaxico's absence, Domenik Hixon is catching on as Giants' deep threat

BY RALPH VACCHIANO
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, December 26th 2008, 11:52 AM

After his huge missed opportunities the previous two weeks, it said something about the Giants' confidence in Domenik Hixon that they went to him, deep, just five plays into Sunday night's game against the Panthers.

And there's no doubt it did something for Hixon's confidence in that this time he managed to hold onto the ball.

"Absolutely," Hixon said. "It felt real good. Just to move it against a tough defense, move it down the field a little bit. It was a hard-fought game and we needed a couple of big plays."

That's what Hixon is for the Giants (12-3) right now - their big-play threat, in the absence of Plaxico Burress. And for all the doubts brought on by his huge drop in the Giants' loss to the Eagles and by the way he couldn't quite hang on to another deep pass in the loss to Dallas, the Giants have never wavered in their belief that he's their big-play man.

That was evident early in the Giants' 34-28 overtime win over the Panthers that clinched the No. 1 seed and rendered this Sunday's game in Minnesota meaningless for Big Blue. Not only did Eli Manning look to Hixon on the first play of the game (a nine-yard completion), but he did it again on a third-and-6 from the Giants' 42 four plays later.

On that play, Manning escaped the grasp of Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson, then reset and noticed that Hixon had gotten behind a double-team downfield. His pass was underthrown, but Hixon came back and made the grab just beyond the coverage. It was Hixon's fourth catch of 30 yards or more this season - the most on the team.

The catch set up a John Carney field goal, but it really did much more than that. It forced the Panthers to keep their eye on Hixon and to be wary of the big play. The Giants' early demonstration of a legitimate downfield threat changed the Panthers' defense. And while that's not the biggest reason the Giants ended up rushing for 301 yards, there's no doubt it helped.

"I think so," Hixon said. "Their DBs were kind of sitting down (near the line of scrimmage), playing kind of aggressive. Just to go deep, I think that did loosen them up. It helped."

That's the biggest thing that the 6-2, 185-pound Hixon brings to his new job as the replacement for the suspended Burress. There were questions about his ability to handle the task after his performances against Philadelphia and Dallas. But the truth is he's been handling it well all year long.

In addition to his four long plays, Hixon leads the Giants with an average of 13.7 yards per catch, and his 39 catches for 534 yards rank third on the team. In the six games the Giants have played without Burress this season (including one in Arizona, where Burress lasted three plays), Hixon has 28 catches for 391 yards and a touchdown.

That would project to 74 catches for 1,042 yards for a full 16 games.

In other words, he's playing at a Burress-like level. With Hixon teaming with Steve Smith (55-554-1) and Amani Toomer (46-564-4), the Giants have reason to be confident in their ability to have a productive passing game without Burress.

"You know what? We're going to work hard every week, throughout the week, and we're going to work hard on Sunday. That's not going to change for us," Hixon said. "Something bad might happen throughout the game, but you've just got to keep on moving and not dwell on the past. It's tough. You want to make every play and every catch, everything. But you've got to keep it moving and keep on working hard."

=============

I think between Hillis, Hall, Pope, Aldridge & Torrain... I think we have a RB for next year. Michael Pittman can return to being that 3rd RB option... We probably even have 2 of the aforementioned group who'll return, stay healthy & contribute.

Remember Hixon? Missed rookie year... put on IR... never really given that much of a chance and finally stolen by NYG? Look at him now. SO, I have no doubt... IF HEALTHY... we have our RB for 2009.

Best Case Scenario: Hall, Torrain or Pope emerges as the starter... HIllis is our starting FB (and HB when we go to 1-RB sets)... With Anthony Aldridge as our 3rd down scat back, & Pittman as the vet insurance option.

SO... I would imagine the RB will not be something we address this off-season? Passing on a back like D-Ward? Or first-day draft selection?

Question. . . why did you quote that article???

Comment

We better address it if we dont want to be the same one dimensional team of 2008. I don't care how "good" those guys are, we need a guy that wont listen to our strength coaches and that will do his own thing and come ready to play.

We need a stud RB. We also need a stud defense like the titans.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
        Question. . . why did you quote that article???
        1- I just thought it was an interesting article on a former Bronco player, and that some might want to read it.

2- That sometimes a player with a checkered first two years, with an injury or something, can sometimes emerge into a playa!

3- That we had talent (RB)... The problem was health. What are the odds we suffer this many injuries again next year?

4- I basically had nothing to say about Hixon, so I wanted to relate this to the current DEN situation...

5- Bored at work.

Comment

Hopefully the Broncos do not think that Hixon's situation means the their current RB's will somehow magically be able to stay healthy and therefor amount to anything more than the worst group of RB's in the league that they were in 08.

But it is the Denver Broncos, nobody overrates their own RB's like the Denver Broncos do.......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
            Hopefully the Broncos do not think that Hixon's situation means the their current RB's will somehow magically be able to stay healthy and therefor amount to anything more than the worst group of RB's in the league that they were in 08.

But it is the Denver Broncos, nobody overrates their own RB's like the Denver Broncos do.......

Aren't the Broncos #6 in rushing? If so they are far from the worst- not great but far from the worst.

Comment

Aren't the Broncos #6 in rushing? If so they are far from the worst- not great but far from the worst.
              Thank the system, not the RB's, Hillis is the only one to make an impact, imo Dean, and he's a FB.

I'm talking about talent, not statistics, this only proves that the Broncos can get by with the Ryan Torain's of the Football World, it doesn't mean that the Broncos RB's are the 6th best group of backs in the NFL.......
              Last edited by stnzed; 12-26-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

The Broncos are 12th in rushing, btw.......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                  http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

The Broncos are 12th in rushing, btw.......
                  My mistake. However, 12 is still a long way from 32.

As to your stance on RBs versus rushing yardage, IMO it is a meaningless distinction. The team gets those yards or they don't.

If it is truely due primarily to the system (O-line), I would expect it to be even better next year. We have a rookie at one tackle, a veritable rookie at the other, and a second year left guard.

Again, I am not arguing that the Broncos have the best rushing attack or running backs. I just find it hard to believe that they (all that we have had on the field so far) are the worst.

Comment

maybe we should sign Hixon and move him to running back ?

Comment

Originally posted by bighuka View Post
                      maybe we should sign Hixon and move him to running back ?
                      Why do that when we already have Eddie Royal? He has the longest run of the year for the Broncos anyway.

The Broncos need to seriously consider taking Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno in the first round if one or the other is available when they pick.
                      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                        Best Case Scenario: Hall, Torrain or Pope emerges as the starter
                        Best case scenario we have andre hall as starting RB??????????????????????????
                        what...
                        you gotta be jking, andre hall is a SCRUB, Torrain and Pope are alright, at least from what little we saw of them, and thats not even good enough, who knows if they'll be good for a whole season??

RB DOES need to be addressed this offseason, draft or free agency.

I will continue hoping for a certain Shonn Greene out of Iowa to fall to us in the 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post

Best Case Scenario: Hall, Torrain or Pope emerges as the starter...
                          Best Case Scenario, Boyd emergeres as the starter because of what happens this Sunday.

Comment

System is still sound. However, what the Broncos lack is the runner to take plays to the next level. Virtually any running back who can make an NFL team can get 4.5 yards a carry in the Broncos' system; this is true. But the ability to take things beyond their initial design is what is missing. The last time the Broncos had that was with Clinton Portis. Since then, we've just had runners. Portis was a game-breaker with vision who knew exactly when to go inside or outside for maximum effect.

As I watched DeAngelo Williams 12 days ago I wondered what he could be in the Broncos' system. Pretty devastating, I would have to believe. What makes him special is not his speed or size. Plenty of guys are faster and stronger than Williams. But when I saw him cut back and turn upfield for his 56-yarder, I saw something special. Then, against the Giants, his last touchdown saw him read the blocks and cut outside instead of inside, allowing him to elude a tackler. That move turned a 2-yard gain into a 30-yard touchdown. Saw similar work when I went back and watched his touchdown runs on NFL.com. Had seen little of Williams as a pro before this month because I watch more AFC on Sunday Ticket, but am impressed now.

We need our version of Williams. Someone who can go beyond the play design. Had it with Portis. Had it with T.D. Might have it with Torain but injury history makes me skeptical and with an ACL, we might never know what he could have been. Sad but true reality of his injury.

Think that this kind of RB will require a draft-pick investment. And not a late-round flyer on a guy with an injury history. Team prides itself on finding diamonds in the rough (T.D., Anderson, Gary) but it's been a long time since we found a 1,000-yarder that way.

Draft could be deep this year so a first-round-caliber back could be available in Round 2. Team should also ask itself which back has the best vision and feel. Not interested in 40 times in shorts and t-shirts. Who makes the best cuts and decisions when they get the ball? Who seems to anticipate defenders' angles? Intensive study is required, but the reward could be the next great back here. Put Hillis in front of said to-be-determined back, and the offense could be so devastating that even a defense ranked 22nd would be enough for success.

Comment

My mistake. However, 12 is still a long way from 32.

As to your stance on RBs versus rushing yardage, IMO it is a meaningless distinction. The team gets those yards or they don't.

If it is truely due primarily to the system (O-line), I would expect it to be even better next year. We have a rookie at one tackle, a veritable rookie at the other, and a second year left guard.

Again, I am not arguing that the Broncos have the best rushing attack or running backs. I just find it hard to believe that they (all that we have had on the field so far) are the worst.
                              Fair enough.

I'm not saying Denver has the worst running game either, far from it.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Because I think the Broncos RB's would struggle to find work in the NFL if Denver didn't settle for Rent-o-Bums.

I remember having this same discussion for years before the 08 draft about, not only Denver's RB's, but also their OLineman, it's the same argument that never changes: "Look at the stats" and "The Broncos rank......." and "Shanahan knows more than you".

This is a list of the starting RB's on the teams that rank below the Broncos in rushing offense:

13-- Ronnie Brown.
                              14-- Steve Slaton.
                              15-- Warrick Dunn.
                              16-- Marshawn Lynch.
                              17-- Julius Jones.
                              18-- Maurice Jones-Drew.
                              19-- Marion Barber.
                              20-- Matt Forte.
                              21-- Ryan Grant.
                              22-- Brian Westbrook.
                              23-- Pierre Thomas.
                              24-- Willie Parker.
                              25-- Jamal Lewis.
                              26-- Frank Gore.
                              27-- Steven Jackson.
                              28-- LaDainian Tomlinson.
                              29-- Cedric Benson.
                              30-- Kevin Smith.
                              31-- Joseph Addai.
                              32-- Tim Hightower.

I'm keenly aware of the stats and Shanahan's resume, I just prefer the eyeball test, I look at that list (Which doesn't even get into comparing backups) and I'm convinced that Denver ranks 12th on the strength of it's system alone and not the pathetic RB's that accumulated those yards.

The sum is far greater than it's parts, more so than for any other team.......

Comment

Working...
                              X