Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This D-HIXON article might prove we have our future RB already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
    Fair enough.

I'm not saying Denver has the worst running game either, far from it.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Because I think the Broncos RB's would struggle to find work in the NFL if Denver didn't settle for Rent-o-Bums.

I remember having this same discussion for years before the 08 draft about, not only Denver's RB's, but also their OLineman, it's the same argument that never changes: "Look at the stats" and "The Broncos rank......." and "Shanahan knows more than you".

This is a list of the starting RB's on the teams that rank below the Broncos in rushing offense:

13-- Ronnie Brown.
    14-- Steve Slaton.
    15-- Warrick Dunn.
    16-- Marshawn Lynch.
    17-- Julius Jones.
    18-- Maurice Jones-Drew.
    19-- Marion Barber.
    20-- Matt Forte.
    21-- Ryan Grant.
    22-- Brian Westbrook.
    23-- Pierre Thomas.
    24-- Willie Parker.
    25-- Jamal Lewis.
    26-- Frank Gore.
    27-- Steven Jackson.
    28-- LaDainian Tomlinson.
    29-- Cedric Benson.
    30-- Kevin Smith.
    31-- Joseph Addai.
    32-- Tim Hightower.

I'm keenly aware of the stats and Shanahan's resume, I just prefer the eyeball test, I look at that list (Which doesn't even get into comparing backups) and I'm convinced that Denver ranks 12th on the strength of it's system alone and not the pathetic RB's that accumulated those yards.

The sum is far greater than it's parts, more so than for any other team.......
    To further illustrate your point, all of the guys who have left at the RB position are out of football or way down the depth chart on other teams except for Portis. These are players that put up averages in the high 4s and took part in placing the Broncos in the top 10 in rushing year after year. I haven't seen enough of Torrain, but if any of the others left the team, there's no reason to think they wouldn't suffer the same fate.

I would take a RB who could stay healthy and tote the rock 25 times a game over a dynamic playmaker who's only in half the time. Clearly, we don't need a 1st round talent to be a top rushing team. But durability seems to be the main issue plaguing our runners lately.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

There is not one guy on our roster that I want to be our "franchise runner".

It's Knowshon time in 09!!!

Comment

Denver has a future RB, and his name is Peyton Hillis!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax View Post
          To further illustrate your point, all of the guys who have left at the RB position are out of football or way down the depth chart on other teams except for Portis. These are players that put up averages in the high 4s and took part in placing the Broncos in the top 10 in rushing year after year. I haven't seen enough of Torrain, but if any of the others left the team, there's no reason to think they wouldn't suffer the same fate.

I would take a RB who could stay healthy and tote the rock 25 times a game over a dynamic playmaker who's only in half the time. Clearly, we don't need a 1st round talent to be a top rushing team. But durability seems to be the main issue plaguing our runners lately.
          But those stats don't tell the whole story, sure the Broncos have racked up nice rushing stats, but they've still got issues in the redzone/short yardage situations and the fact is, none of the Broncos RB's have defenses gearing up just to stop them.

Clearly the Broncos don't need a 1st round talent (Like Torain) to rack up yards, but their RB's scare nobody, and imo, teams know the Broncos RunningScrubs are going to get their 118 yards/game and .87 TD's/game (.73 TD's/game without Cutler's rushing TD's), but they focus on making sure Cutler has to be near perfect for Denver to beat them.......

Comment

There seems to be many two sided views on the board about whether Denver should or should not draft a solid back... this is how I see it shaping out.

Im just assuming for explanation purposes that we drafted a back like James Davis in the 2nd-3rd.

Other than Hillis, Pittman none of the other back'son our roster have shown to be solid (injury/production). I know Hillis and Pittman were both injured, however Pittman is already healthy and should of only been out 6-8wks tops. As for Hillis, his injury was purely just a freak accident that normally woulsnt happen to back.

Ok, lets get to the point. If we drafted a a guy like James Davis. I think around the end of camp we will see the HB's look like this Davis, Pittman, Torain, Aldridge, and Boyd on PS. Hillis at FB

Finally look at the threat's our offense will give the opposing defense's to look at.

Starting Lineup:
            QB: Cutler
            FB: Hillis
            HB: Davis
            WR: Marshall/Royal
            TE: Graham
            NASTY OLINE

Thats just ONE formation, and look at all the possiblities Shanny/Bates can call.

A complete HB makes this offense pretty damn intimidating if you ask me. I expect a lot of moves to be made to get that last piece for this offense. To the OP, although Hixon is doing great for the Giants... it took him quite some time and getting mentored by Toomer,Plaxico... and the coaching staff to become just a solid reciever in my eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X