Chiefs say Broncos – in Denver – will be hardest game to date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiefs say Broncos – in Denver – will be hardest game to date

For those of you who don't check the NFL wire on ESPN...
    -----
    Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Even though Cincinnati handed Kansas City its only loss this season, the Chiefs do not consider the Bengals the toughest team they've faced.

Coach **** Vermeil, for one, gives that nod to Denver.

A one-point victory over the Broncos on Oct. 5 in Kansas City put the Chiefs (11-1) on the path to having the best 12-game record in the league and in franchise history.

A win this week in Denver would give Vermeil's team its first AFC West title since 1997 and allow the Chiefs to retain at least a one-game lead in the struggle for home-field advantage.

"It's going to be like playing a playoff game on the road," Vermeil said Monday. "This is a very important football game for us. I think they're the best team we've seen all year."

Both the Chiefs and Broncos were 4-0 when Kansas City's Dante Hall unleashed his most spectacular return to date, a 93-yard punt runback for a fourth-quarter touchdown just moments after Denver had taken a 23-17 lead.

Since then, the Chiefs have remained remarkably healthy and won six of seven.

The Broncos, meanwhile, sustained several crippling injuries in the ensuing weeks and have gone only 3-4 since losing to Kansas City.

This road game is especially important to the Chiefs, who close out the regular season with home games against lowly Detroit and Chicago bracketed around a trip to Minnesota.

"Will it be a pivotal game in terms of home-field advantage if we make the playoffs? Well, we haven't made them yet," Vermeil said. "Normally when you win 11 games, you've made the playoffs. But in the AFC this year, it's a little bit tougher."

The Broncos would seem to have every reason imaginable to play hard.

For one thing, they're still scrapping for a wild-card spot and another loss would significantly hurt their cause.

For another, they're no doubt unhappy over what happened on Hall's return, when Julian Battle got away with an obvious clip. (Sorry, I couldn't help it)

And for yet another, it's Kansas City -- an archrival the Broncos love to beat, no matter what the circumstances.

"It's tough enough to beat them any time, let alone going in there in December and trying to beat them," Vermeil said.

Only six points separated the two AFC West rivals in their last four games.

"It will be a very intense, tight football game," Vermeil said. "We're going to have to play our best football."

Vermeil said the Chiefs came out of Sunday's 28-24 victory at San Diego in fairly good shape. Only Monty Beisel, a backup linebacker and special teams ace who sustained a groin pull, is not expected to play against Denver.

"It's not as bad as we first thought," Vermeil said.
    Winter is Coming!

It's going to be the best game of the year, no doubt about it.

But I can't understand why so many people are pointing to the Dante return and clip(s) done on the play, that's not why the Chiefs won the game.

Denver had 1st and goal inside the 5 and did not get a touchdown out of it. Score 7 instead of 3 and the punt return means nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Koronin
      But I can't understand why so many people are pointing to the Dante return and clip(s) done on the play, that's not why the Chiefs won the game.

Denver had 1st and goal inside the 5 and did not get a touchdown out of it. Score 7 instead of 3 and the punt return means nothing.
      Thats like saying: "If the Broncos score more points than the Chiefs, they will probably win." Stating the obvious.

The fact of the matter is, most NFL games have *several* turning points. The Broncos inability to score from inside the 5 was certainly one of them. But the return was most definately another one.

People tend to remember the score that sealed the game for the Chiefs. You agree?

Comment

Given the recent criticism Shanahan has received concerning how effective he has handled this team since Elway has left, does anyone here think this will all be quelled if he wins this weekend? Out coaching Oakland is one thing (hehe, it's a dumb team). Out coaching someone like Vermil is something completely different.
        ...And [sic 'he'] is given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth....

Comment

playoff thirst

Yeah it will be a hard game for both sides. But by now the broncos should have that playoff thirst kicking in. They really need to win the last 4 games!!
          Please God don't let the Pats win the Superbowl!! AGAIN

Comment

Ive only been to four Bronco games (Im from Texas) and they've won every game that I've been to and I coming to this Sundays game. GO BRONCOS!
            Take care of business Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by palehorse
              Given the recent criticism Shanahan has received concerning how effective he has handled this team since Elway has left, does anyone here think this will all be quelled if he wins this weekend? Out coaching Oakland is one thing (hehe, it's a dumb team). Out coaching someone like Vermil is something completely different.
              No offense intended, but I think he out coached the Chiefs the first game. Not saying it will happen on the 7th... just think that as far as Time of possession, total yardage, ect.. ( which is his job as an offensive minded coach ), he did out coach Vermeil.

This game will be the true test though. Each has faced the other already this year and should be working to work out the kinks and adjust to the opposing defenses in this game; not to mention the playoff ramifications of this game ( for both teams).

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
              ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

Going into the season, 3 road games stood out in my mind as extremely difficult to win.

At Green Bay
                At Oakland
                At Denver

Obviously, Oakland isn't the Oakland I expected, but it was still a tough game.

Green Bay -- tough as well, but we won with a great fourth-quarter comeback.

Denver is, well, Denver. A tough place to play, and I would be shocked if the Broncos did anything but play well. Unless something totally bizarre happens, I think the winner will have to play well. I know that's not rocket science, but I don't see either team going out and laying an egg. No excuse for being flat in this one.

I'll be the first to admit that if the Chiefs beat the Broncos in Denver, it will be our best victory to date, and I'd venture a guess that Bronco fans would feel likewise if Denver won.
                Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

Comment

Originally posted by K'Noy_Kills
                  Ive only been to four Bronco games (Im from Texas) and they've won every game that I've been to and I coming to this Sundays game. GO BRONCOS!
                  Hopefully then you are the good-luck charm. They have certainly had their share of bad luck this year.

Though I am not sure that Chris Cole being "out" is bad luck for the Broncos he has not done much up to this time...
                  Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Don't get me wrong, Shanahan is a great coach. It just seems that he is taking alot of heat recently. I heard (I think of Sunday Countdown) that things are getting "stale" in Denver. Face it Management want Championships. (I personally prefer character). I agree that he played a better game. I just hope a "W" will keep him from considering a job elsewhere.
                    ...And [sic 'he'] is given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth....

Comment

Originally posted by palehorse
                      Don't get me wrong, Shanahan is a great coach. It just seems that he is taking alot of heat recently. I heard (I think of Sunday Countdown) that things are getting "stale" in Denver. Face it Management want Championships. (I personally prefer character). I agree that he played a better game. I just hope a "W" will keep him from considering a job elsewhere.
                      Living & working in the area I don't think things are getting "stale" here. More than likely it's some idiot in the media trying to create a story where there isn't one. There's only two people that can change Mike's employment and neither one are looking to do so in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Re: Chiefs say Broncos – in Denver – will be hardest game to date

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
                        For those of you who don't check the NFL wire on ESPN...
                        -----
                        Associated Press

Coach **** Vermeil, for one, gives that nod to Denver.

LOL they wont let you say Vermeil's first name here.
                        Take care of business Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by ReasonableChief
                          I'll be the first to admit that if the Chiefs beat the Broncos in Denver, it will be our best victory to date, and I'd venture a guess that Bronco fans would feel likewise if Denver won.
                          i would feel likewise
                          sigpic
                          go broncos
                          share the sidewalk
                          liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Working...
                          X