Mike Nolan (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Double_L View Post
    I frequent the 9ers board and asked a question about what people thought of Nolan as DC. Take this with a grain of salt but some phrases tossed around were "his defenses are pretty vanilla" and "bend but don't break"... does this sound familiar to anyone?

Regardless, I still think this was a very good hire. He has the track record and the passion to get his players motivated.
    Nolan was not the DC is SF, so their views on the DC are not views of Nolan

Comment

• Originally posted by MileHighHitMan7 View Post
      ( Champ, DJ and .......)
      I'll help you out here. Dumervil.

He'll be good again if we can ever get some decent guys on the line with him.

Comment

• Nolan likes to run the 3-4 in base , with 4 man DL fronts on Nickle and Dime formations. Now he may switch to a full 4-3 because of the lack of talent on the team right now, who knows.
        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MileHighHitMan7 View Post
          They have to get some player makers on defense. Gonna be tough to build around Champ and DJ with the rest of the starters going to the bench.
          This is true.... I just wonder if we do in fact hire Nolan ( which I dont love, but I am cool with) and we switch to a 3-4.....What do we do with DJ? I dont think he really has a place in a 3-4 that warants is salery. He isnt a good enough pass rusher to play any of the pass rush positions, and playing him weak middle.... Just to high of a salary for that position.....
          Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Cutty6006 View Post
            I like this. I think Nolan is a tough coach who will toughen up our weak defense.

BUT I really dislike 3-4 so Im interested to see what will happen.

And I just heard he used to coach for the Broncos under Dan Reeves! I didnt know that!

WAIT...

you dislike 3-4? have you seen the number one or number 2 defense in the league? or the patriots or any other defense that plays the 3 4 that is better than ours. jets, chargers, cowboys. all better than our nonsense!

Comment

• I don't see what the difference is whether he goes 4-3 or 3-4. We have some of the worst talent at D-line and linebacker in the league. From what I've heard about Nolan is that he's a 4-3 guy. Some talking head on KOA said that's one of the reasons he may have been hired. If that's true, it's asinine. Any D-coordinator that was brought in was going to instantly realize that we aren't going anywhere with the D-line, linebackers (possible exception of Williams), and the safeties we have. I personally would have been a little excited about a 3-4 because I'd like to see Dumervil moved around a bit and get off the line once in a while, or maybe I'm just a grass is always greener type of guy.

Either way, our current defensive scheme should have nothing to do with the type of coordinator we get because the last thing we should be interested in at this point is 'defensive continuity' with the new staff.

Comment

• Nolan's tenure as a head coach wasn't good at all. But he seemed to do pretty well his last two years with the Ravens (as the DC).

The fact is, Our D sucks. They tip the suckter scale at like a 6.9. Let's say Nolan comes in an our D ends up 22nd in the league against the run. Not great, but better. Year two rolls around and we claw up to 17th. Little better, not great though.

The beauty part of this equation is that the whole time the D is getting better we have an offence that can, especially with our new coach, score at will.

Nolan may not be the perfect defensive coordinator, but at this point he has got to be an upgrade. Give the man two years, if he hasn't made things at least a bit better I would be shocked.

Comment

• terrible hire lets hire a loser.
                  -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

• Originally posted by Ch1ggs View Post
                    Mike Nolan needs to lobby for some beef on the defensive line. Now, since it appears this team is going 3-4, that shouldn't be a problem. The Broncos need 3 fatties on that line, pronto.

Let's face it, we probably won't have an amazing defense this year, but even an average defense would be an upgrade from the last two years.
                    Totally agree.

Comment

• I havent heard or read this any where but if its true
                      I'M ALL OVER IT.
                      The man coached a ferocious D in Baltimore
                      Just get us Maualuga and we are on our way!

Comment

• Nolan to alieve preasure?

Sorry, in advance, their are a million posts obviously, but this thread is a little different. I've looked at other threads but couldn't find where this has come up yet.

It's a pretty simple concept actually, yet, I think a smart one. I'm not saying this is what Bowlen was thinking, but it could have been a factor. Anyway, her's my two cents.

Given: Bowlen has confidence in McDaniels, 110%, or else he wouldn't have hired him..on that same note, Bowlen made a smart move by hiring Nolan, a proven D Cord w/ good NFL HC exp.

My "theory" is that since Nolan has ties w/ Bowlen to begin with, knows what Denver is about/media and so on/ but most importantly hired a guy as the D Cord to take some of the "preasure" of being a first time HC off of McDaniels. Basically, Nolan will be running the D outright (for the most part) and McDaniels can consentrate on the O for the most part.

No, I'm not saying we have 2 HC, but there is a transition period for McDaniels to find a "comfort" period, and by hiring Nolan who knows how to run a team, it makes it that much easier for a first time HC.

I didn't post this to talk about Nolans stats or McDaniels stats, it's just a simple shrewd thoughtout move by Bowlen-IMHO.

I could be very wrong, or I could b right-maybe somewhere in between as well. In no fashion am I saying "This is why we did this..or ..This is why we did that.." but it couldn't hurt from where I sit...again, IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                          Sorry, in advance, their are a million posts obviously, but this thread is a little different. I've looked at other threads but couldn't find where this has come up yet.

It's a pretty simple concept actually, yet, I think a smart one. I'm not saying this is what Bowlen was thinking, but it could have been a factor. Anyway, her's my two cents.

Given: Bowlen has confidence in McDaniels, 110%, or else he wouldn't have hired him..on that same note, Bowlen made a smart move by hiring Nolan, a proven D Cord w/ good NFL HC exp.

My "theory" is that since Nolan has ties w/ Bowlen to begin with, knows what Denver is about/media and so on/ but most importantly hired a guy as the D Cord to take some of the "preasure" of being a first time HC off of McDaniels. Basically, Nolan will be running the D outright (for the most part) and McDaniels can consentrate on the O for the most part.

No, I'm not saying we have 2 HC, but there is a transition period for McDaniels to find a "comfort" period, and by hiring Nolan who knows how to run a team, it makes it that much easier for a first time HC.

I didn't post this to talk about Nolans stats or McDaniels stats, it's just a simple shrewd thoughtout move by Bowlen-IMHO.

I could be very wrong, or I could b right-maybe somewhere in between as well. In no fashion am I saying "This is why we did this..or ..This is why we did that.." but it couldn't hurt from where I sit...again, IMHO.

LOL basically we hired a loser greeeeeeeeat....
                          -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

• I'm not sold on Nolan....

"When Nolan was the defensive coordinator with the Washington Redskins, (owner) Daniel Snyder would get so upset with Nolan and his "vanilla" playcalling and schemes, after one practice, he left a gallon of Neapolitan sherbet on Nolan's desk and a note that said 'This is what I like. Not Vanilla.' Needless to say, Nolan soon left to the Jets. It seems his conservative ways have followed him here."
                            sigpic

Comment

• It was a "preasure" to read this thread.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post

I guess I'm a little confused here. I thought Nolan was coming because McDaniels chose him, not because Bowlen did. If I'm incorrect, please let me know.
                                My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

Working...
                                X