Mike Nolan (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I doubt Denver would bring in both Nolan AND Capers.

It appears the talk of Capers was all speculation. The Nolan hire appears legitimate.
    Capers was only the Secondary coach for New England. Its not like he couldnt take a similar role here. Especially if we are switching to a 3-4 defense. He and Nolan would work well in teaching it.
    A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

Mike Nolan would be a far better choice than Dom Capers. But as long as the job of improving the defense works I suppose it doesn't make a difference who does it just as long as it gets done.

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
        Today's news makes me pretty damn happy. If Capers still comes I think we're in for some good years ahead.
        I think we should be able to attract some good young coaches for the position coaches as well with a respected DC and former HC as DC and an up and coming new HC with a good core of players to build with. The Broncos may have one of the better coaching staffs here pretty soon.
        sigpic

Comment

this is cool

but only if our defense doesnt play like the 49ers defense from 05-07

they had the worst defense in the league in 05 and 06 but got a little better but not much in 07.

but their offense was also the worst in the league so that doesnt help.

but nolan did coach the ravens for a few years back when their D was dominant except in 2002. we can use a veteran coach like him.

Comment

Nolan and Champ reunion! He was Washington's DC during Champ's first 2 years... This news is just plain awesome!!

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Nolan

BAM!

Changed for all to enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                I think we should be able to attract some good young coaches for the position coaches as well with a respected DC and former HC as DC and an up and coming new HC with a good core of players to build with. The Broncos may have one of the better coaching staffs here pretty soon.
                I definitely think so. Good job Mr. Bowlen.
                :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                sigpic

Comment

it's mentioned at the bottom of this article, but nothing solid saying it's 100%.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11430967

Pat Bowlen must dread the process of hiring a head coach. He kept Mike Shanahan around for 14 years. For his next head coach, the Broncos' owner hired someone half his age.

Bowlen, 64, chose Josh McDaniels, a 32-year-old wunderkind, to become the Broncos' new head coach, according to multiple NFL sources.

The Broncos are expected to hold a news conference today or Tuesday to announce the hiring of McDaniels, who was the coordinator of the prolific New England Patriots' offense the past three years.

As the interview process played out, it appeared McDaniels was the favorite almost from the time Shanahan was fired. The Broncos' search committee interviewed six other candidates, but only McDaniels received a second interview, which he had Thursday night during a six-hour meeting with Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis, who was Bowlen's right-hand man in the process.

Defensive coordinators Leslie Frazier of the Minnesota Vikings and Steve Spagnuolo of the New York Giants and Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett also received strong consideration, but Bowlen saw the most potential in McDaniels.

Bowlen picked McDaniels even though there's not a responsible bartender in Colorado who wouldn't first greet the Broncos' coach by asking for his ID.

"It's not about how old you are; it's about experience," said Kenny Peterson, the Broncos defensive end who was a freshman tight end at McKinley High School in Canton, Ohio, when McDaniels was the starting quarterback.

"His dad was a great football coach. His grandfather was a great football coach. Josh has been around football coaching all his life. I was hoping Josh would get it because I want good things to happen to great people. And Josh is a great person. Obviously, Mr. B. sees something in Josh that will lead this team to a world championship."

Bowlen's instincts aside, McDaniels was a surprising choice for several reasons. First, his youthful appearance.

Secondly, it seemed like the Broncos already had the same kind of coach in Jeremy Bates, who is also 32 and also called the offensive plays in 2008. Bates and McDaniels have become acquainted in recent years during the NFL scouting combines in Indianapolis.

Bates is one of six Broncos coaches held over from Shanahan's staff that will interview with McDaniels, but the new coach will have the final say on whom to retain.

"I know Jeremy," McDaniels said at the Super Bowl XLII media day. "We have never really talked scheme or anything like that, but we have a cordial relationship. I think he's very bright."

Another reason why McDaniels was a surprise was he comes from a Bill Belichick-led Patriot team that has excelled with a 3-4 defense.

The Broncos have built their personnel around a 4-3 system, but after the team's disastrous performances the past two seasons, this would be the time to make the conversion to the 3-4.

Reports were surfacing late Sunday that the Broncos had also hired former 49ers head coach Mike Nolan to be defensive coordinator.

Longtime defensive coordinator Dom Capers, who is currently with the atriots, also was mentioned as a possible hire for Denver's defensive job.

Josh McDaniels bio

College: John Carroll

Playing experience: Collegiate wide receiver

Coaching experience

1999-2000:
                  McDaniels (AP file photo)
                  Graduate assistant, Michigan State

2001: Personnel assistant, New England Patriots

2002-03: Defensive assistant, New England

2004-present: Quarterbacks coach, New England

2006-present: Offensive coordinator, New England

Comment

Originally posted by Cutty6006 View Post
                    I like this. I think Nolan is a tough coach who will toughen up our weak defense.

BUT I really dislike 3-4 so Im interested to see what will happen.

And I just heard he used to coach for the Broncos under Dan Reeves! I didnt know that!
                    yep
                    as soon as i read this thread i looked at his wikipedia page to see his coaching history as a defensive coordinator, and its pretty solid.

i too noticed he was a bronco linebackers coach which i didnt know!

anyway i love nolans suits. makes him look like a professional

Comment

Mmmm

Yes, yes this pleases me

Comment

Just to offer my two cents, I like this news. I was hoping for Frazier or McDaniels, and the Mike Nolan news is just gravy.

Now, who the heck is the GM?
                        Last edited by Ch1ggs; 01-11-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ch1ggs View Post
                          Just to offer my two cents, I like this news. I was hoping for Frazier or McDaniles, and the Mike Nolan news is just gravy.

Now, who the heck is the GM?
                          If someone does get the title, it will be someone already in the personnel department.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UberBroncoMan View Post

BAM!

Snap! I forgot he was the DC for the Ravens. A plus plus there!

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                              If someone does get the title, it will be someone already in the personnel department.
                              I would not count on that...just yet! Jim Goodman will likely be named President of Football Operations / Personnel, but there is a chance they hire a GM still. Especially with the executive platform they have created of involving many instead of just one as it was with Shanahan...

Comment

Originally posted by UberBroncoMan View Post

BAM!

Man every time I see your banner it makes me laugh. What the hell possessed you to make Jay into a monster? Haha
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X