McDaniel By The Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDaniel By The Numbers

What are the older vets going to think when they get talked down to by a 32 year old head coach? It's nature, men have egos, especially football players. Tension might build when two young guys (in this case a player and his coach) disagree.

Josh McDaniels is known for being incredibly smart but a couple articles the other day focused on him not being known for leadership, yet at least.

Not like my vote is for Morris, but at least he has a leadership rep with his players.

I just think with a guy like Josh McDaniels, it may be very difficult for players to put trust into him. Am I worrying for nothing?

thats one of my many worries about mcdaniels

Comment

Need leadership.

Denver has had leadership in their organization since the late 90's.

Comment

It's been one of my main concerns. I've heard people rave about Spags, Morris and Frazier because they coach with fire and are great motivators. And that can filter through the whole team. I've not heard that about McDaniels to the same extent. If this team needs anything right now, it needs fire...and it can really bring a team together well. So that's why I'd pick any of the above over Maccy Ds. I know Maccy is a very bright guy and is a good coach. But I just prefer the way that Spags/Morris/Frazier interact with their guys.
        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Yes, you are worrying over nothing.

He will only be given the job if Bowlen and his selection committee believe that McDaniels is the best one for the job and can get the players to buy into his program.

I don't see why the players wouldn't buy into his program. Look what the Patsies offense did last year. Part of that was him getting the players on the same page. They had a lot of talent, but someone has to get that talent to play together. Look what he was able to do this year with the back up quarterback. That's no small feat. Most teams can look forward to a miserable season if they lose their starting quarterback for the season in the first game. Only in the AFC can an 11-5 team not make the playoffs.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

McDaniels would need vets' nod

Per Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11411245

Ultimately, it won't be Pat Bowlen who decides whether Josh McDaniels, at 32, is ready to become the Broncos' next head coach.

It would be Champ Bailey and Casey Wiegmann. The decisions would come from the hearts, souls and minds of D.J. Williams, Jay Cutler and Ebenezer Ekuban. It's the Broncos players who would determine whether a kid like McDaniels would be worthy of their respect, and trust, to follow his lead.

"If he were going to get the job, I would say without exception the players would be surprised when he walks through the door," said Kyle Brady, who was a starting tight end for the record-setting New England Patriots' 2007 offense that was coordinated by McDaniels. "Their first thought will be, 'Who is this kid?' Because everybody to some degree judges things by appearances. Even though we all do our best not to.

"And Josh, even for a 32-year-old, he looks 25. I remember I was taken aback when I first met him. I thought, 'This is the offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots?' "

Brady, who turns 37 next week and is moving into the financial investment business, and quarterback Jim Miller, who is 37 and now a talk-show host, were coached by the younger McDaniels for one season. Miller was Tom Brady's backup in 2004, when the Patriots won their third Super Bowl in four years.

"Josh soaks up everything that Bill Belichick has taught him," Miller said, referring to the Patriots' head coach. "I was very impressed with his thoroughness. But because he's so young, I don't know how he would go over from a leadership standpoint as far as commanding it from the team. I don't think he's enthusiastic like a John Harbaugh. I respect Josh. I think he's extremely bright, and works extremely hard. I don't know if he's ready to be a head coach, though."

The Broncos' search to replace Mike Shanahan, who was fired last week after 14 seasons as head coach, is nothing if not diversified. Among the seven candidates are four defensive coordinators, three minorities and two 32-year-olds.

Although young coaches are getting more and more opportunities in the NFL, youth is an issue when considering McDaniels and Raheem Morris, who is 4 1/2 months younger than McDaniels.

"And I'm sure Josh understands that and accepts that," Kyle Brady said. "But what wins you over is his knowledge, his expertise, his thoroughness, his preparation. These are all preached and practiced by the Patriots' organization as a whole. But beyond all that, his ability to relate to players is exceptional.

"I played for 13 years and I played for all types of coaches. I've had aloof coaches to overly personable coaches to stern coaches, but at the end of the day you still have to have an ability to somehow get through to the players. I think Josh has an exceptional ability to understand the players and to relate to them, and he has an ability to teach and understand when guys are getting it and when they're not."

Early tough coaching lessons

As is the case with most American success stories, McDaniels made a big early mistake. The son of a high school coaching legend in none other than Canton, Ohio, McDaniels got his first coaching gig in 1999 as a Michigan State graduate assistant on Nick Saban's staff. Anyone who observed the temperamental Saban blow up on the Alabama sidelines last week during a 31-17 Sugar Bowl loss against Utah can understand how a first-year grad assistant can become disillusioned by coaching.

After the 1999 season, McDaniels resigned by letter. He was out of football in 2000. The year off, however, must have led to an awakening because McDaniels returned to coaching in 2001 as a pro personnel assistant on a New England staff led by Belichick, another grinder.

Although McDaniels was a quarterback for his father in high school and a receiver at John Carroll University, his first job with the Pats was to break down defensive film and feed research for game-planning.

"Bill Belichick does a great job with all his assistants where they start out on defense first and then they work their way to the offensive side of the ball," Miller said. "He wants them to be good at everything. That's what Bill Belichick does — he could coach every position on the field. He tries to expose his coaches to that as well."

McDaniels eventually worked his way to offensive coordinator for a team that in 2007 scored an NFL-record 589 points while posting an unprecedented 16-0 record during the regular season. And in case anyone thought the Pats' success was all about Tom Brady — and just about everyone did — the McDaniels-guided New England offense scored 40-plus points against the Broncos, Miami, Oakland and Arizona this season with backup quarterback Matt Cassel.

Can he lead a team?

McDaniels has proven he can lead arguably the NFL's most explosive offense, despite his youth. But can he lead a team?

"It's hard to say how a guy is going to respond when he's not just riding in the carriage, but has to hold the reins," Kyle Brady said. "There's so much more now when you're the head coach. You're dealing directly with the owner. You're dealing directly with the general manager. There's so much administrative responsibility. When dealing with the players, now the buck stops at your desk. I don't know all those things about him. I know as an offensive coordinator, he's been able to bring about success despite adversities. But whether or not he would be able to juggle all the balls as a head coach, I just don't know."

Then again, that's a question facing all seven of the Broncos' head coach candidates, regardless of age. Not one has been an NFL head coach. For the Broncos, the question isn't necessarily the age of their new head coach, but who can be successful on their first try?

Comment

if he does get the job i hope the pats have good def. FA's he can help get here....

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
                What are the older vets going to think when they get talked down to by a 32 year old head coach? It's nature, men have egos, especially football players. Tension might build when two young guys (in this case a player and his coach) disagree.

Josh McDaniels is known for being incredibly smart but a couple articles the other day focused on him not being known for leadership, yet at least.

Not like my vote is for Morris, but at least he has a leadership rep with his players.

I just think with a guy like Josh McDaniels, it may be very difficult for players to put trust into him. Am I worrying for nothing?
                Who Casey Wiegmann? He is the only player on the roster older than McDaniels. Seriously I think some of you guys are reaching.

Comment

I worry he is too young.

Also worry that he will not spend enough time on fundamentals which the Broncos really need help on.

What really concerns me is he will bring the Pass happy offense that the Pats been using since he has been there and completely forget our running game.

It was pretty obvious last year when our running game was respectable (and our offense not turning it over) Cutler was dominate.

When our running game went away Cutler had problems.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                    I worry he is too young.

Also worry that he will not spend enough time on fundamentals which the Broncos really need help on.

What really concerns me is he will bring the Pass happy offense that the Pats been using since he has been there and completely forget our running game.

It was pretty obvious last year when our running game was respectable (and our offense not turning it over) Cutler was dominate.

When our running game went away Cutler had problems.
                    Running game wont be the problem, the defense will. We will get a scapegoat DC just like we did with Shanny. Or we will switch to the 3-4 & set us back many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
                      Running game wont be the problem, the defense will. We will get a scapegoat DC just like we did with Shanny. Or we will switch to the 3-4 & set us back many years.
                      Why would switching to 3-4 set us back many years?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Texan View Post
                        Why would switching to 3-4 set us back many years?
                        Personel, basically having to put together a whole new front 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
                          Personel, basically having to put together a whole new front 7.

Because the front 7 we have now is getting the job done?

Comment

McDaniels' age is a big concern for me. And I also worry that he's likely being hired more or less because he would be easily pressured/persuaded to keep the offensive coaches in place, given his age and inexperience.

All I've heard about McDaniels is that he's a very personable, intelligent guy who knows his X's and O's. If that's what Denver is looking for they should have kept Mike Shanahan, because there was no one who fit that bill more than Shanahan.

What Denver needs is someone who will come in here, shake things up, hold players accountable, and motivate the younger guys who more or less have been going through the motions for the past 3 seasons. Even former players of McDaniels have stated that they're not sure he's ready for a head coaching position.

I'm trying to be optimistic here, but McDaniels seems all wrong for what this team needs right now, and I feel that he's the front runner for the wrong reasons.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                              McDaniels' age is a big concern for me. And I also worry that he's likely being hired more or less because he would be easily pressured/persuaded to keep the offensive coaches in place, given his age and inexperience.

All I've heard about McDaniels is that he's a very personable, intelligent guy who knows his X's and O's. If that's what Denver is looking for they should have kept Mike Shanahan, because there was no one who fit that bill more than Shanahan.

What Denver needs is someone who will come in here, shake things up, hold players accountable, and motivate the younger guys who more or less have been going through the motions for the past 3 seasons. Even former players of McDaniels have stated that they're not sure he's ready for a head coaching position.

I'm trying to be optimistic here, but McDaniels seems all wrong for what this team needs right now, and I feel that he's the front runner for the wrong reasons.
                              I have to admit that at first I was not a fan of Mcdaniels ... I think it just stems from my hatred of New England ... But after looking at it a little bit more closely and doing some homework ... I think he is now definitely in my top 3 ... He has a tremendous offensive Coordinator track record ... Has done fairly well as a Defensive Coach and is coming from a winning program.

His age certainly doesn't bother me, as long as he carries himself well, which is indicative of the reports I have seen.

It's silly to think that he won't come in here and shake things up and motivate players. You really don't know what you are talking about ...

Also, there is no pressure to keep the offensive coordinators in place coming from the front office. That is mostly being generated by the fans and this message board ... All coaches were asked to interview with their proposed coaching staff's ... So again ... silly on your part ...

Denver is definitely looking for a good X's & O's guy ... but it's silly to think that should be the Reason to retain Shanny ... His message got old, his program was figured out, and he just couldn't get it done any-more ... So why should vindicate Shanny for the same reasons we would crucify any other coach? Just for a couple of SB wins a Decade ago??? This move is overdue IMO ....

So I don't know, who my front runner is, But my top 3 are Spags, Mcdaniels & Frazier .... But we'll see what happens ...

Comment

Working...
                              X