McDaniel By The Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Well, and the argument 'Bowlen knows what's best for this team and we should blindly trust him' would hold water if we truly believed Bowlen has NEVER made a mistake himself as owner of the Denver Broncos.

Since we know that to be false, then it's educated prediction to state that this hire was the wrong move, if that's what side of the fence you're on.
    Yes, I'm on that side. I do believe it was a bad hire, but I'm accepting the fact that he is our new HC. At the same time, I have low expectations so I dont get upset about it. :salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
      The point is, there are no sure things, no guarantees, and that includes a coach with more experience.

I know you were a Cowher guy, and I would have hired Brian Billick, so neither of us are completey happy at the moment.

But to me, there is merit to McDaniel, and reason for optimism surrounding his hire.

I am willing to give him time, as I realize he may be a bit green at the moment, and like a draft pick, you may not know what you have for two or three years.
      I'm not saying there is ZERO merit to hiring someone like McDaniels. I see the positives there, despite my disagreeing with the hire overall.

But like I said, it is what it is. It doesn't change my expectations for the Broncos next season, however. I see no reason why this team can't make the playoffs, especially since I believe the defense can only get better from this point moving forward.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
        While we don't agree about Shanahan, I think I agree with pretty much everything you stated here. I feel pretty good about the Nolan move as well. I would have preferred McDermott, but Nolan complements the younger McDaniels much better.

One thing I wanted to add was about the age argument. The Broncos are buying a rising stock before it peaks. In a year or two, McDaniels would have been much harder to sign, more expensive, and would command more control. Bowlen is a successful businessman and likely understands the value of buying something before it reaches its peak value. I believe this is true, to varying extents, of other owners as well, which is why chances have been taken on the likes of Shula, Shanahan, Gruden and more recently Harbaugh and Tomlin.

Let's just sit back and give the McNolan combo a chance to work. McDaniels ought to refine Cutler's technique even more and should help keep the turnovers down. Nolan ought to inject some toughness into our defense and if Jim Goodman can give us a couple of impressive drafts, I think we ought to be a championship contender in a couple of seasons.
        The 'rising stock' analogy is a good one.

I liked the idea of McDaniel more than Spagnuolo, Frazier, etc as the process moved along, and when it became obvious the seven candidates they had were what they were going to choose from, to me, McDaniel was the choice.

Now we have to see what the kids got.

Comment

I'm not saying there is ZERO merit to hiring someone like McDaniels. I see the positives there, despite my disagreeing with the hire overall.

But like I said, it is what it is. It doesn't change my expectations for the Broncos next season, however. I see no reason why this team can't make the playoffs, especially since I believe the defense can only get better from this point moving forward.
          i know i expect the playoffs but lets be realistic here . . . next year the schedule looks real tough right now.

but we can go 8-8 again and see a major improvement in this team . . . it just may not show on the record for a year or so

also the ravens dolphins and atlanta all have stud RBs and had the majority of the team in place other than QB or a position here or there, just lacked coaching

this team lacked coaching and talent, though hopefully with a few key FA improvements to say the LBs DL or S we can make the playoffs or at least see significant improvements
          sigpic
          -------

Comment

I apologize. I was just tired of certain posters using erroneous 'facts' in their posts against me.

Rest assured I have placed certain individuals on my ignore list. :salute!:
            Yes, you're such a victim, moo. Nice ass-kissing too. Must be good at that after all the warnings you've gotten for being such a toolbag.

Fact is, nobody knows if this is a good hire or not. I think it can help one side of the ball, and might make our offense among the most dominant in the league. The Pats have always finished drives, and that's something we've needed for some time now. I'm excited to see what happens, not crying about ultimatums for our new coach.
            In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
              i know i expect the playoffs but lets be realistic here . . . next year the schedule looks real tough right now.

but we can go 8-8 again and see a major improvement in this team . . . it just may not show on the record for a year or so

also the ravens dolphins and atlanta all have stud RBs and had the majority of the team in place other than QB or a position here or there, just lacked coaching

this team lacked coaching and talent, though hopefully with a few key FA improvements to say the LBs DL or S we can make the playoffs or at least see significant improvements
              The team was in desparate need of an overhaul, a change of direction, and this hiring was done to make those changes.

It is not realisitc to expect the Broncos to do a Falcons or Dolphins, because in all of the changes made within a team with a coaching change, those results are not typical.

BTW, while we are on the subject of the Falcons and Dolphins, what does it say if one or both slip back to 8-8 or so next season and fail to make the playoffs?

Slow and steady wins the race, not a flash in the pan. Build the team the right way, and not in a rushed search for superficial results, and your build your team for the long run.

The Broncos have a few pieces, but if you look at the team as a 3-piece puzzle, the Broncos are severly lacking in 2/3 of the puzzle.

The special teams are atrocious, and if you look at the defense, the Broncos maybe have four legitimate starters...Champ, DJ, hopefully Marcus Thomas, and maybe Dre Bly, although I personally think Bly is going to be a salary cap casualty, and I do not expect him back next season.

That is alot to repair and replace in one offseason, and reality says it is not likely to happen.
              Last edited by MindField; 01-12-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

The team was in desparate need of an overhaul, a change of direction, and this hiring was done to make those changes.

It is not realisitc to expect the Broncos to do a Falcons or Dolphins, because in all of the changes made within a team with a coaching change, those results are not typical.

BTW, while we are on the subject of the Falcons and Dolphins, what does it say if one or both slip back to 8-8 or so next season and fail to make the playoffs?

Slow and steady wins the race, not a flash in the pan. Build the team the right way, and not in a rushed search for superficial results, and your build your team for the long run.

The Broncos have a few pieces, but if you look at the team as a 3-piece puzzle, the Broncos are severly lacking in 2/3 of the puzzle.

The special teams are atrocious, and if you look at the defense, the Broncos maybe have four legitimate starters...Champ, DJ, hopefully Marcus Thomas, and maybe Dre Bly, although I personally think Bly is going to be a salary cap casualty, and I do not expect him back next season.

That is alot to repair and replace in one offseason, and reality says it is not likely to happen.
                But again, this is where we disagree. We have more than enough talent on offense to win 11 games, 10 minimum. Defensively if we could just get just a bit better - like say 20th ranked instead of 29th - we would easily accomplish those 10-11 wins easy.

So is it beyond the capabilities of this team to somehow squeeze out 10 wins next season with a 20th ranked defense? Is it unlikely? I don't think so. This team underachieved in 4 out of their 8 losses this season, and a win in any of those games gives them the AFC West. So with a slightly better defense, and a more seasoned offense, I see no reason why this team can't manage 10 wins and a playoff berth in McDaniels' first year. None whatsoever. And you can bet those are Bowlens' expectations as well. Even Wade Phillips made the playoffs in his first year, after all. So I think it's fair to expect more from McDaniels and Nolan than Wade Phillips.

And if this guy is for real, I see no reason why they can't build on next year's playoff appearance and continue to be a perennial playoff team. The pieces are in place, especially offensively. Defenisvely, no question we NEED help. But like I said, it's the difference betweeen 29th ranked and 20th ranked.

So I just don't see why it's ridiculous to expect the playoffs this season. If Bowlen really didn't care whether the Broncos made the playoffs or not next year, he would have just waited another year to fire Shanahan. This change was made now in order to turn the tide now.
                sigpic

Comment

Do you guys think the Broncos will have advantage because teams will not have a good handle on what to prepare for ?

Obviously I understand teams will be able to digest the film but I think the changes on both sides the ball mite just help..If McDaniels can get the team to execute the game plan properly it will be like preparing for a much different Broncos team then in the past and it could give the Broncos an edge on both sides of the ball..This is not predicting a 18-0 team by any stretch...Its just predicting a much different team then what the NFL and its fans are used to seeing in Denver
                  :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

But again, this is where we disagree. We have more than enough talent on offense to win 11 games, 10 minimum. Defensively if we could just get just a bit better - like say 20th ranked instead of 29th - we would easily accomplish those 10-11 wins easy.

So is it beyond the capabilities of this team to somehow squeeze out 10 wins next season with a 20th ranked defense? Is it unlikely? I don't think so. This team underachieved in 4 out of their 8 losses this season, and a win in any of those games gives them the AFC West. So with a slightly better defense, and a more seasoned offense, I see no reason why this team can't manage 10 wins and a playoff berth in McDaniels' first year. None whatsoever. And you can bet those are Bowlens' expectations as well. Even Wade Phillips made the playoffs in his first year, after all. So I think it's fair to expect more from McDaniels and Nolan than Wade Phillips.

And if this guy is for real, I see no reason why they can't build on next year's playoff appearance and continue to be a perennial playoff team. The pieces are in place, especially offensively. Defenisvely, no question we NEED help. But like I said, it's the difference betweeen 29th ranked and 20th ranked.

So I just don't see why it's ridiculous to expect the playoffs this season. If Bowlen really didn't care whether the Broncos made the playoffs or not next year, he would have just waited another year to fire Shanahan. This change was made now in order to turn the tide now.
                    I think expecting the playoffs next season might be a bit unfair to McD. That's not because the parts are not in place, but because it's unfair to expect it from any rookie HC. Had Shanahan still been in place, I would have argued that we should be expecting to make the playoffs next year. The offense is pretty much set and all energy this offseason would have gone towards fixing the defense. Moreover, we can factor in a game or two that Shanahan would win for us just by making a genius coaching move (icing the kicker, going for two etc.) which one cannot expect anyone else to. Shanahan got more out of this team than you you can expect of anyone.

However, if the offense takes a step back or stays at the same point, I'm going to be a bit pissed at McD. This offense ought to get better, simply on account of more experience for Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Royal, Clady, Kuper and Harris. If it stays the same (and I don't mean immediately, but over the course of the next couple of seasons), McD would have to shoulder the blame.

Bottomline though, is that making judgements on one season (whether it is about McD or about an old hand like Shanahan) is simply unfair.
                    Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
                      Do you guys think the Broncos will have advantage because teams will not have a good handle on what to prepare for ?

Obviously I understand teams will be able to digest the film but I think the changes on both sides the ball mite just help..If McDaniels can get the team to execute the game plan properly it will be like preparing for a much different Broncos team then in the past and it could give the Broncos an edge on both sides of the ball..This is not predicting a 18-0 team by any stretch...Its just predicting a much different team then what the NFL and its fans are used to seeing in Denver
                      I think whatever advantage we could gain would only be in the early part of the season. In that sense, it might not be a big change since Shanahan would essentially give us that edge by surprising teams quite consistently at the start of every season.
                      Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

8-8 would be solid for us next season.

I expect Miami and Atlanta to end up like New Orleans. 8-8, 9-7 ish

Comment

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
                          I think expecting the playoffs next season might be a bit unfair to McD. That's not because the parts are not in place, but because it's unfair to expect it from any rookie HC. Had Shanahan still been in place, I would have argued that we should be expecting to make the playoffs next year. The offense is pretty much set and all energy this offseason would have gone towards fixing the defense. Moreover, we can factor in a game or two that Shanahan would win for us just by making a genius coaching move (icing the kicker, going for two etc.) which one cannot expect anyone else to. Shanahan got more out of this team than you you can expect of anyone.

However, if the offense takes a step back or stays at the same point, I'm going to be a bit pissed at McD. This offense ought to get better, simply on account of more experience for Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Royal, Clady, Kuper and Harris. If it stays the same (and I don't mean immediately, but over the course of the next couple of seasons), McD would have to shoulder the blame.

Bottomline though, is that making judgements on one season (whether it is about McD or about an old hand like Shanahan) is simply unfair.
                          Not only that, but you are talking about changing a coaching staff and introducing a new system. Usually, that takes time, but with Miami and Atlanta's success, people have raised expectations...but the truth is, just like Cleveland a year ago, both of those teams could easily slip back to the pack.

I would rather go 5-11 or 6-10 next season, with a solid plan in place, and with a clear focus on what kind of team we want to become.

Comment

This is the NFL, everything changes very quickly. One great player on defense will make alot of other players look really good. Our horrible defense can be fixed THIS offseason if we make the right moves. You see it every year a team goes from being horrible to making a run. We have the offense in place to score with anyone, we get a defense that can get off the field every once in a while and we will be in the playoffs again.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
                              That's a great post, MindField. CP to you.

Didn't **** Nolan coach in Denver for a while?
                              Hey Moose, thanks for the SIG. Did you have to do that, I am going to be seeing that sickening image for the rest of my life, in my nightmares.

I also wonder if that is a side effect of inbreeding?

Comment

Not only that, but you are talking about changing a coaching staff and introducing a new system. Usually, that takes time, but with Miami and Atlanta's success, people have raised expectations...but the truth is, just like Cleveland a year ago, both of those teams could easily slip back to the pack.

I would rather go 5-11 or 6-10 next season, with a solid plan in place, and with a clear focus on what kind of team we want to become.

Well I for one think we are closer to a higher record than 5-11 or 6-10 even with a new coach. And if we get the a good Draft and FA pickup then I would have to say it will be higher. But at the same time if you take a look at next years schedule even with Shanahan at the helm couldv'e very well have produced a 5-11 or 6-10 record as well.

So i think it is going to depend on how the team accepts the new Coach. And if the Spring Mini camps and Training turn out good then I think we could have a very successfull season.:salute!:

Comment

Working...
                                X