Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Eddie Royal Be The Wes Welker In This Offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Eddie Royal Be The Wes Welker In This Offense?

Got me thinking...The Key to the patriots spread offense is Wes Welker. Now, surely Josh Mcdaniels will create a scheme based on the strength of his personnel, but the quick slot guy who eats up the underneath stuff is very important in his scheme. Stokely is a slot guy, but not as quick or fast as Wes Welker. I think Eddie Royal fits the bill. We may need a new guy on the outside opposite bmarsh, who is a speed threat like Moss was. It will be very interesting how mcdaniels will redesign this potent offense.

One thing is for sure. He will Make B Marsh a better deep threat than he has been.
    Last edited by Sharpe26; 01-12-2009, 08:08 PM.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Sharpe26 View Post
    Got me thinking...The Key to the patriots spread offense is Wes Welker. Now, surely Josh Mcdaniels will create a scheme based on the strength of his personnel, but the quick slot guy who eats up the underneath stuff is very important in his scheme. Stokely is a slot guy, but not as quick or fast as Wes Welker. I think Eddie Royal fits the bill. We may need a new guy on the outside opposite bmarsh, who is a speed threat like Moss was. It will be very interesting how mcdaniels will redesign this potent offense.
    I mean, that's what I do in Madden. Pick up Chris Henry to play number two, then stick Royal at slot

In all seriousness, I think that would work. And I was kind of hoping that Chad Jackson could becoming that Number Two WR. Not sure now--I didn't see enough of his play this year. But maybe.

Comment

Well McDaniels does have experience with Chad Jackson, but he also was probably the one who cut him loose as well. So we'll see if he can give him a second chance. I think Jackson could be a good #2 guy if he develops his route running.

Comment

Originally posted by Uglybass View Post
        Well McDaniels does have experience with Chad Jackson, but he also was probably the one who cut him loose as well. So we'll see if he can give him a second chance. I think Jackson could be a good #2 guy if he develops his route running.
        Yes, I also think Jackson has the 'ability' to be a 2 in a spread, BUT, I would like to see Hillis play more hybrid, aka the slot/H, wide, back in motion type of player. With his hands, decent speed and exceptional strength, he could be a real x-factor and nightmare in defensive packages. With a strong and solid RB (remember, the spread offense for the most part, is a run-first, pass-second formation), speed and agility at the trips and a strong-arm, accurate gunslinger, it would seem our personnel fit this scheme quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shutdown View Post
          I mean, that's what I do in Madden. Pick up Chris Henry to play number two, then stick Royal at slot

In all seriousness, I think that would work. And I was kind of hoping that Chad Jackson could becoming that Number Two WR. Not sure now--I didn't see enough of his play this year. But maybe.
          That's because he only had one catch

Comment

are you guys not thinking here?

EDDIE ROYAL?!

He is a deep hitter and a for sure #2 guy every down, i say we stick stokly where he loves it in the slot and then draft shipply in next years draft to re-place him.
            Humm....

Comment

Originally posted by swankattack86 View Post

EDDIE ROYAL?!

He is a deep hitting and a for sure #2, i say we stick stokly where he loves it in the slot and then draft shipply in next years draft to re-place him.
              that IS a good point.....mcdaniels you had BETTER not change that
              disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

EDDIE ROYAL?!

He is a deep hitter and a for sure #2 guy every down, i say we stick stokly where he loves it in the slot and then draft shipply in next years draft to re-place him.

So who's discounting Royal? In the spread, you often see 4, and at times, 5 receivers. I was just making a point that Jackson can and should play a role if we go that route based on our personnel. Royal is a stud, a unique and gifted player and should be on the field. In 2007, Brady threw the ball nearly 600 times to a ton of different receivers. Believe me, there is more than enough balls to satisfy Beast, Royal, Stoke, Hills, (future Rb), Jackson, Daniel and Tony.

Comment

EDDIE ROYAL?!

Excellent point. Royal puts way too much pressure on defenses as a deep threat and as a wr that can make the deep catch and score. I too second that JM should not change that. Good idea to keep stokely where he is and draft the Longhorn for the future. Hillis should also be prominent in the passing scheme. If he is not he would be wasted.

Comment

I don't think Royal should be just a slot receiver, he proved his value as 2nd receiver and Marshall will have to stop dropping balls to remain the number 1 guy. Royal looks a lot like a young Steve Smith, it will be exciting to watch his development.
                    sigpic

Comment

All signs point to yes, try it out, use him like they did Wes and it frees up a ton of catches for everyone else not knowing who to double team

Comment

I think it would be greatly beneficial to all of us if we stop comparing our offense to the Patriots offense now. I doubt it'll look entirely the same. Hopefully its better, but at least as far as stats go, I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Comment

EDDIE ROYAL?!

yea... putting eddie in the slot wastes eddie a bit and Stokley a bit while creating a hole at #2.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler666 View Post
                            I think it would be greatly beneficial to all of us if we stop comparing our offense to the Patriots offense now. I doubt it'll look entirely the same. Hopefully its better, but at least as far as stats go, I wouldnt get your hopes up.
                            exactly! He wont have the exact same scheme...maybe a bit similar in terms of the some play-calling but im sure he'll want to get a running game going too, unlike in NE
                            sigpic

Comment

I do think that eddy is definately being put to better use at #2 slot but i wouldnt mind chad jackson at number two either. I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sktpjvtz9iQ obviously we dont know if he would do that in a game but he certainly has the potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X