Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bates Role Now In Question

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...w-in-question/

Josh McDaniels' statement Monday that he will handle play-calling duties for the Broncos might further cloud the future of the person who handled that job in 2008. Jeremy Bates remains under contract with the Broncos and will interview with McDaniels to clarify his future. In his official capacity this season as passing-game coordinator, Bates became among the closest staff members to quarterback Jay Cutler. -- Rocky Mountain News
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...w-in-question/

Josh McDaniels' statement Monday that he will handle play-calling duties for the Broncos might further cloud the future of the person who handled that job in 2008. Jeremy Bates remains under contract with the Broncos and will interview with McDaniels to clarify his future. In his official capacity this season as passing-game coordinator, Bates became among the closest staff members to quarterback Jay Cutler. -- Rocky Mountain News
    I don't see Bates coming back. As someone else pointed out, with McDaniels in place and officially calling the plays, it makes Bates' role redundant, and his only reason for staying would be Cutler, but at the expense of furthering his career.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
      I don't see Bates coming back. As someone else pointed out, with McDaniels in place and officially calling the plays, it makes Bates' role redundant, and his only reason for staying would be Cutler, but at the expense of furthering his career.
      mind you, Jeremy Bates was the QB coach/playcaller last season.

He could get stripped of play calling, but could still stay as the QB coach if McDaniels approves

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Bates is irrelevant. When Cutler sees what a gifted mind McDaniels is on the offensive side of the ball as well as playcalling, he won't even remember Bates first name.

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post

He could get stripped of play calling, but could still stay as the QB coach if McDaniels approves
          But why would he want to? He was calling plays for the 2nd ranked offense in the NFL last season. I'm sure he can find a situation in either the NFL or the college ranks where he can again call the plays and will have more benefit to his career. Staying in Denver just for the sake of Cutler makes zero sense for him.
          sigpic

Comment

Bates is outta here. No longer relevant.
            sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Whatever they do they need to keep Bobby Turner, i remember last season the Dolphins came sniffing around wanting Turner but Turner stayed, i hope they can at least keep that dude.
              "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Bates being stripped of play calling duties is enough to make me happy. It's fine if they keep him as the quarterback coach, but I bet right about now he's wishing he had taken the UT job.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post

Yes, I don't see why this wouldn't be an option. He is very close to Cutler and Cutler has already made a case that he would like Bates to stay. The only problem arises is if Bates still wants to make playcalls elsewhere. We'll have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
                    Whatever they do they need to keep Bobby Turner, i remember last season the Dolphins came sniffing around wanting Turner but Turner stayed, i hope they can at least keep that dude.
                    That is the truth.

Bobby Turner is the only coach I REALLY want to stay.
                    sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
                      That is the truth.

Bobby Turner is the only coach I REALLY want to stay.
                      I agree, Turner is a must.

Comment

McDaniels is better at play calling anyways. I am not really concerned, if he stays then it's whatever for me. McDaniels is better at play calling and coaching QBs. If he takes the time to work with Cutler full time, I don't think Bates even needs to stay at all. I wonder who will be our OC if Bates is gone. You think it will be anyone we will recognize or an up-and-comer?

Comment

"Bubble screen".

Comment

Good, Im happy to see a guy whos play calling resulted in legendary results. We need Bates to stay though, keeping Cutler happy is a must
                            I am a Moss lover

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                              But why would he want to? He was calling plays for the 2nd ranked offense in the NFL last season. I'm sure he can find a situation in either the NFL or the college ranks where he can again call the plays and will have more benefit to his career. Staying in Denver just for the sake of Cutler makes zero sense for him.
                              You can believe that 2nd ranked offense all you want, the truth is we were 16th in scoring offense, which is more important than yards.

Watching Bates call all 8-12 yard passes with a draw every 7 plays or so was very predictable, just look at how the offense sputtered down the stretch. McDaniels will raise the level of play of Cutler to new heights.

Comment

Working...
                              X