Interception Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interception Rule

I do not think it should be called an interception if the ball is thrown, bounces off the hands of a receiver and is caught by the defender. That turnover should be charged to the receiver. What do you think? Cutler has many interceptions like this.
    If you love NFL stats and history
    pro-football-reference.com
    jt-sw.com/football

I was just discussing this with my coworkers.

yeah I completely agree with you. tipped balls are not the QB's fault and they to be honest i dont know if they should be charged to anyone.

how is it the wide recievers fault when the ball is tipped before it gets to him, and someone away from the play catches it?

Comment

Originally posted by Breezer View Post
      I do not think it should be called an interception if the ball is thrown, bounces off the hands of a receiver and is caught by the defender. That turnover should be charged to the receiver. What do you think? Cutler has many interceptions like this.
      Please elaborate on those many interceptions by Cutler.

I remember most of them just being ****ty throws.

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
        Please elaborate on those many interceptions by Cutler.

I remember most of them just being ****ty throws.
        Give me a break!
        jt-sw.com/football

Comment

The problem with that idea, is that some receivers are so talented that they can get their hands on just about anything. Just because the ball hit the receivers hand, doesn't mean it wasn't a bad pass. Another scenario, is a quarterback leading his receiver into contact. Receiver grabs the ball, get's blasted, and a defensive player catches it off the bounce. I agree on the deflected pass though. Problem is, how far can the pass travel before being deflected.

Comment

Fair point... but isn't it also not as bad when the WR turns the wrong route?

How do we know who made the right read?
            Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic
            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
              The problem with that idea, is that some receivers are so talented that they can get their hands on just about anything. Just because the ball hit the receivers hand, doesn't mean it wasn't a bad pass. Another scenario, is a quarterback leading his receiver into contact. Receiver grabs the ball, get's blasted, and a defensive player catches it off the bounce. I agree on the deflected pass though. Problem is, how far can the pass travel before being deflected.

How about this... Only those passes that are not touched by anyone but the defender that catches the ball be called an interception, and thus, charged to the QB.

all other tips could be called "tip turn overs" and charged only to the team and not any particular player. This way it doesn't screw with the QB's rating.
              jt-sw.com/football

Comment

How about this... Only those passes that are not touched by anyone but the defender that catches the ball be called an interception, and thus, charged to the QB.

all other tips could be called "tip turn overs" and charged only to the team and not any particular player. This way it doesn't screw with the QB's rating.
                As long as defensive guys get credit for a deflection or int, I don't see why anyone would argue.

Comment

If it tipped at the line by a Defensive Lineman or Linebacker and then picked off, it should still be considered an Interception. It shouldnt just be considered an interception if the person who first contacted the ball catches it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Why does it really matter? And do we really want subjective stats? Someone is going to have to make a determination if the int was caused by the QB or the WR.

Ball thrown and caught by a defender is an int. Could be because the QB made a bad throw or the ball was tipped or it bounced out of the wr hand or the defender just made a great move. Either way the QB (and the WR) is back on the bench and the other team takes over.

There is only one stat that matters. It is the only one that is so important that we put it on score board.

Comment

then they have to go back and change all the other ones because of the records favre has made. I don't think they will ever change it. Also it is the qb's fault... if he had thrown it at the numbers, it wouldn't be tipped as often.

Comment

Ok so if a qb throws a crappy pass and a linebacker tries to catch it but it bounces off his hands and into the hands of a wide receiver, should it then not be called a reception for the receiver and completion for the quarterback?

Same thing.

Its the qbs job to get the wr the ball. If its tipped at the line or tipped by a defender further down the field and picked off, its an int. Dont take away a good play by the defender just to help out the quarterbacks. If a defender is able to make a play on the ball in any way then the qb shouldve done a better job of getting the ball to the receiver.

And as for the receiver having the ball just bounce off their hands, thats just the game.

I understand where youre coming from but if the qb throws the ball and the other team gets it, by whatever means, its an interception. Sorry but this kind of sounded like something you wanted to try to get Cutler's ints down. And no, i think most of Jay's picks were just straight up either bad throws or miscommunication.
                        LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                        Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

We can call these "fumbleceptions"
                          Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                          FF is awesome!

Comment

well drops already run off of a "could he catch it" type of thing. where if it was a catch-able ball he gets the drop if it wasnt he doesn't. It should be, if it would be considered a drop, then it shouldn't be the QBs fault, it wouldnt be that hard

Comment

Originally posted by GreyHoodie View Post
                              Why does it really matter? And do we really want subjective stats? Someone is going to have to make a determination if the int was caused by the QB or the WR.

Ball thrown and caught by a defender is an int. Could be because the QB made a bad throw or the ball was tipped or it bounced out of the wr hand or the defender just made a great move. Either way the QB (and the WR) is back on the bench and the other team takes over.

There is only one stat that matters. It is the only one that is so important that we put it on score board.
                              good post! :thumb: CP to you.
                              sigpic

:orton: ITS TIME FOR THE ORTONATER!

Comment

Working...
                              X