official should be keep bly thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
    That's the power of the orange-colored glasses...can never underestimate its power! :salute!:
    you are being way to hard on him

he has outplayed champ the last 2 years regardless of what you think, yes he gives up a big play every now and then but so does everybody, you are expecting way to much out of him

the man nearly single handedly won 3 games for us. and lost us 0 i can remember last year

also people see how much money he made this year and think he is overpaid, but its just the way his deal was structured its only a 5 year 33 million dollar contract compare that to the 7 year 60+ that bailey is making and yet having no impact on this defense whatsoever
    sigpic
    -------

Comment

Paycut, please.
      sigpic

Comment

i like Dre if we can manage to get a decent pass rush and a Safety in the offseason to help out over the top then this upcoming year i strongly believe that Dre and Champ will have big seasons
        Proud Member of: Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #35

Comment

I say we keep him, a great pass rush will make any db look pretty good. Bly will be fine as long as he isn't left out on his own island with no pass rush and no help from coordinators.
          Here's hoping Champ gets into the Hall First Ballot. He deserves it!

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerIsBetter View Post
            I'd keep him.

I mean, the poor guy had no help from our safeties, no help from our coordinator's scheme, and had no help from the d-line. Pressure on the QB is what makes CB's look good. Our team couldn't do that, and Bly suffered from it.

Let's give him 1 more shot, and see what he makes of it.

Agreed. While he is not the best CB in the league, he at the very least average, if not a little above averge. The key is pressure on the QB. Hell, how many picks did Champ have this year (I know he was out several games, but still did not have a good year when he was in). Even the pick he had against SD in the first game would not have been an INT had the replay booth been working.

Think Bly is worth keeping unless we can get Asomugha from the Radiers, but I really doubt that anyway.
            We Are....Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerIsBetter View Post
              I'd keep him.

I mean, the poor guy had no help from our safeties, no help from our coordinator's scheme, and had no help from the d-line. Pressure on the QB is what makes CB's look good. Our team couldn't do that, and Bly suffered from it.

Let's give him 1 more shot, and see what he makes of it.
              Now that I think about it, you're right. We had no safeties to help him out. Even Champ let a few fly past his head cause the safeties sucked at coverage.

I still believe he should take a pay cut, but not too drastic of one.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                you are being way to hard on him

he has outplayed champ the last 2 years regardless of what you think, yes he gives up a big play every now and then but so does everybody, you are expecting way to much out of him

the man nearly single handedly won 3 games for us. and lost us 0 i can remember last year

also people see how much money he made this year and think he is overpaid, but its just the way his deal was structured its only a 5 year 33 million dollar contract compare that to the 7 year 60+ that bailey is making and yet having no impact on this defense whatsoever
                Last year? As in 07? Well he did get burned in the first play of OT, when Favre threw that bomb down the sidelines and w/e caught it and scored a TD. That sorta lost our MNF game for us lol.

Bailey did have an impact on the defense, we just needed him for the Carolina and KC games especially, to cover Smith and Bowe. They both had good games, but that's because the QBs always threw to them, and guess who was covering them? Bly.

But it's not his fault, he was just thrown to way to much. And since we have NO other reliable corners (josh bell is NOT one) we should still go to him.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler4tw View Post
                  i like Dre if we can manage to get a decent pass rush and a Safety in the offseason to help out over the top then this upcoming year i strongly believe that Dre and Champ will have big seasons
                  I agree. I would like to see how he plays if and when we actually get a pass rush.

Comment

Keep him IF he takes a pay cute, no way is he worth that much money

Comment

Originally posted by Twizlers View Post
                      Last year? As in 07? Well he did get burned in the first play of OT, when Favre threw that bomb down the sidelines and w/e caught it and scored a TD. That sorta lost our MNF game for us lol.

Bailey did have an impact on the defense, we just needed him for the Carolina and KC games especially, to cover Smith and Bowe. They both had good games, but that's because the QBs always threw to them, and guess who was covering them? Bly.

But it's not his fault, he was just thrown to way to much. And since we have NO other reliable corners (josh bell is NOT one) we should still go to him.
                      well i was talking about 08 when he didnt lose a game for us that i can remember.
                      sigpic
                      -------

Comment

Keep him. Letting him go would end up costing us, long run, and I'd rather have ONE position on this defense shored up. With Bailey and Bly, we have that. Without both of them, we don't. Who's going to take his place? Jack Williams? Paymah? Some rookie?
                        In Manning I trust.

Comment

Fans screaming "Bly should take a pay cut" know NOTHING about football! That's NOT how it works.

Bly doesn't have to take a pay-cut. He's been to the pro-bowl and not one NFL GM will blame him for the Broncos defensive failures this year.

If you give QBs 4-5 seconds a play to throw the ball someone is going to be open. If you leave your CB isolated in one-on-one coverage with no safety help over the top with 6'5" WRs like Vincent Jackson, bad things will happen.

Starting CBs in the NFL make a LOT of money. A lot MORE than fans like YOU think they "should." You look at his contract and say "it's too much" but it's not "too much" compared with what other starting CBs in the NFL make. It's called the "free market." There's a lot more demand for reasonably good veteran starting CBs than there is supply.

So, a veteran like Dre Bly on the open market will get around at LEAST a $30 million contract. And then all of the idiots can scream "he's overpaid!"

The Broncos can reduce Bly's salary cap hit by extending his contract, and converting some of this salary into a signing bonus that is pro-weighted over the lifetime of the contract, but only if they are planning on keeping him around for a few years, because when you cut someone or trade them, the "unearned" portion of the salary cap gets accelerated onto this year's salary cap!

That's called "dead cap space" -- money under the cap that has to go to players who aren't even on the team, and it can destroy your efforts to be competitive. (Shanahan always had trouble with this, which is one reason why he was ultimately fired).

That's also why Shanahan got rid of Trevor Pryce and let him go to the Ravens, who gladly paid him what he asked. He was a central part of their successful DL this season that helped get them to the AFC championship game.

There's no reason to get rid of Dre Bly unless you can get somebody better. Well, getting someone better will cost a LOT more money, and there are other MUCH bigger priorities -- like finding a NT and two starting DEs, 2 starting LBs, and especially two starting Safeties!
                          sigpic

Comment

keep him. it is hard 2 find a good corner.

Comment

I won't vote in the poll because I don't care if Bly takes a pay cut or not. I find it funny that fans think that a player's paycheck is any of their concern. The Broncos will decide if it's worth it to bring him back at his current pay or not. Unless they think they can find an adequate replacement or that they already have one, they will likely bring him back and I'm fine with that.

P.S. If you click the edit button and then click on "Go Advanced" you can edit the title of your post.
                              Last edited by broncolee; 01-21-2009, 02:06 PM.
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Twizlers View Post

If I recall correctly, Champ got burned a couple of times pretty badly in that game too.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X