Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Bates The DC For Bucs

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...ort=NFL&id=338

Jim Bates will reportedly be the Bucs' next defensive coordinator.

Coach Raheem Morris will likely do most of the defensive decision making, but Bates' hiring indicates that the Bucs may veer away from their longtime Tampa 2 scheme. Bates favors king-sized DTs to "three technique" tackles that push the pocket. The Bucs may not rush to re-sign DT Jovan Haye.

whatever floats their boat
    Last edited by getlynched47; 01-22-2009, 10:16 AM.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Good for them. If they give him two years, he'll give them a good defense.
    In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
      Good for them. If they give him two years, he'll give them a good defense.
      Great signing for them. Bates is proven, and one of the best coordinators in the game.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what he does with an actual NFL defense. He must be salivating at the prospect of having talent to coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
          It will be interesting to see what he does with an actual NFL defense. He must be salivating at the prospect of having talent to coach.
          great point......

sigpic

Comment

can anyone explain what kind of scheme bates runs?

and was he a part of the reason the broncos were so bad on defense last year or not?

Comment

Originally posted by BucFan123 View Post

and was he a part of the reason the broncos were so bad on defense last year or not?
              Bates runs an aggressive front 4, andnot many blitzes from what I remember.

Shanahan was the reason Denver was so bad defensively, not Bates. Bates was trying to build something. Shanahan wanted results immediately.

Comment

I don't know what to think of this. The Bucs have been my NFC team of choice for more than a decade and now all of their friggin' upheavals too! If they can get rid of Griese I'll be optimistic.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016
                2021 Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post

Shanahan was the reason Denver was so bad defensively, not Bates. Bates was trying to build something. Shanahan wanted results immediately.
                  so basically with the talent the bucs have on d he should come in and have immediate results?

Comment

He plays a 4-3 but with the ends split in a 7 or 9 technique. They were essentially in pass rush mode every play.

Yes, he was. We did not have the huge D-tackles required to clog the middle that his scheme requires but he tried to run it anyway. DJ had just been moved to Mike backer and was slow in his reads. Lynch was moved off the line of scrimmage so he was slower in run support. Anyone who wanted to run the ball off tackle had the green light to rack up yardage. . . and they did.

Comment

Shanahan seemed like he never gave any defense a chance to grow. It's not like he never had good players. He could've had right now; Bertrand Berry, Trevor Price, Reggie Hayward. That's 3 quality defensive linemen that could've been playing for us this moment in place of what we have...
                      sigpic
                      I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

the Broncos didnt have the personel to run Bates system...that's why it was ineffective and ultimately scrapped

sigpic

Comment

I think Slowik had a little bit too much to do with the defense when bates was here, because really I didn't see much change from the 07 defense to the 08 defense. I saw suck in 07 and more of that same suck in 08..

I think Bates will do fine in Tampa, they may not have a great defense, but they will at least be good.

Comment

Hopefully he gets a fair shake this time around, other than MAYBE the Kansas Shtty Bust (How does Dre Moore fit?), I don't think they have a single DT that fits his system. To be quite honest this move surprises me, it'll be interesting to watch that develop.......

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                              the Broncos didnt have the personel to run Bates system...that's why it was ineffective and ultimately scrapped
                              Bates was under the impression Shanahan was going to allow him to build a defense. If Shanahan brought him in, expecting immediate results, knowing that he didn't have Bates type of players, he's even more stupid than I thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X