Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neutessa
    replied
    I was actually very surprised to read this. Jim Bates' D is quite a departure from what Tampa has been running for so long ... especially on the Dline. Bates' D requires 2 big DT plugs in the middle. Tampa's D has been built on speed and quickness up front. I read that Jovan Haye (one of the starting DTs last year) already is expected not to be resigned - he's 6'2", 285 so doesn't fit the mold.

It's hard to find 2 big DTs ... that's why Bates failed in Denver. Everyone of the guys Bates wanted - Adams, Kennedy, etc - failed. Wilkenson - one of his first choices - didn't even report. Warren didn't adapt and was traded away.

The bad news is that Tampa will now be in the market for the big DTs that the Broncos might be targeting as NTs. Luckily they were 9-7 and, therefore, will draft after the Broncos. But, starting in the second round with the rotation of 8-8 teams, it will be easier for Tampa to jump the necessary spots ahead of the Broncos. If, for example, both teams might be targeting a guy like a Ron Brace in a later round - Tampa will be in a better position to move ahead of the Broncos.

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Originally posted by BucFan123 View Post
    so basically with the talent the bucs have on d he should come in and have immediate results?
    I'm not sure he will have immediate results. He's going to give the TB defense more disguises, and be more aggressive under Morris. There getting a little away from the TB 2. Either way, that defense needs an overhaul.

I'm also a Bucs fan and watch every game. I know Brooks played hurt last year, but one could argue he was a reason why their defense was so bad towards the end. i think he's done in terms of playing at a high level. There defense will need some adjustments to get back to where they want to be.

As a bucs fan, Bates is a great hire. He's had success everywhere he's went except Denver(nobody's had success in Denver because of Shanahan), and his defenses have been driving forces of successful teams.

I think the bigger question in TB is what's going to happen with that offense. There's a lot to be desired in terms of talent, especially at the skill positions in QB and WR.

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    the Broncos didnt have the personel to run Bates system...that's why it was ineffective and ultimately scrapped
    Bates was under the impression Shanahan was going to allow him to build a defense. If Shanahan brought him in, expecting immediate results, knowing that he didn't have Bates type of players, he's even more stupid than I thought.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Hopefully he gets a fair shake this time around, other than MAYBE the Kansas Shtty Bust (How does Dre Moore fit?), I don't think they have a single DT that fits his system. To be quite honest this move surprises me, it'll be interesting to watch that develop.......

Leave a comment:

• iowabronco24
    replied
    can anyone explain what kind of scheme bates runs?

and was he a part of the reason the broncos were so bad on defense last year or not?
    I think Slowik had a little bit too much to do with the defense when bates was here, because really I didn't see much change from the 07 defense to the 08 defense. I saw suck in 07 and more of that same suck in 08..

I think Bates will do fine in Tampa, they may not have a great defense, but they will at least be good.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    Bates runs an aggressive front 4, andnot many blitzes from what I remember.

Shanahan was the reason Denver was so bad defensively, not Bates. Bates was trying to build something. Shanahan wanted results immediately.
    the Broncos didnt have the personel to run Bates system...that's why it was ineffective and ultimately scrapped

Leave a comment:

• dragster69
    replied

Shanahan was the reason Denver was so bad defensively, not Bates. Bates was trying to build something. Shanahan wanted results immediately.
    Shanahan seemed like he never gave any defense a chance to grow. It's not like he never had good players. He could've had right now; Bertrand Berry, Trevor Price, Reggie Hayward. That's 3 quality defensive linemen that could've been playing for us this moment in place of what we have...

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied
    He plays a 4-3 but with the ends split in a 7 or 9 technique. They were essentially in pass rush mode every play.

and was he a part of the reason the broncos were so bad on defense last year or not?
    Yes, he was. We did not have the huge D-tackles required to clog the middle that his scheme requires but he tried to run it anyway. DJ had just been moved to Mike backer and was slow in his reads. Lynch was moved off the line of scrimmage so he was slower in run support. Anyone who wanted to run the ball off tackle had the green light to rack up yardage. . . and they did.

Leave a comment:

• BucFan123
    replied

so basically with the talent the bucs have on d he should come in and have immediate results?

Leave a comment:

• L.M.
    replied
    I don't know what to think of this. The Bucs have been my NFC team of choice for more than a decade and now all of their friggin' upheavals too! If they can get rid of Griese I'll be optimistic.

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BucFan123
    replied

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what he does with an actual NFL defense. He must be salivating at the prospect of having talent to coach.
    great point......

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    It will be interesting to see what he does with an actual NFL defense. He must be salivating at the prospect of having talent to coach.

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
    Good for them. If they give him two years, he'll give them a good defense.
    Great signing for them. Bates is proven, and one of the best coordinators in the game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X