Champ needs to......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ needs to......

Restructure his contract and help this team out. I was under the impression that with a number of cuts that this team would be around the ball park of 30 million under the cap, I believe rookie money was already taken out of the equation. If there is that much money and champ restructured Denver could be a great shape to sign pretty much any body they wanted to, and then some. :go:

Originally posted by jvw View Post
    Restructure his contract and help this team out. I was under the impression that with a number of cuts that this team would be around the ball park of 30 million under the cap, I believe rookie money was already taken out of the equation. If there is that much money and champ restructured Denver could be a great shape to sign pretty much any body they wanted to, and then some. :go:
    Why should Champ have to set his money aside? Hes given his body up (literally ) For this orginization. He will NEVER have a shot at money like this ever again. If i where him id get my cash....
    -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

If anyone needs to restructure it's bly.. He makes the most on the team for some reason. something like 4 mill more per year than champ.

Comment

because the idea is to WIN

Originally posted by Champ>NFL View Post
        Why should Champ have to set his money aside? Hes given his body up (literally ) For this orginization. He will NEVER have a shot at money like this ever again. If i where him id get my cash....

I shouldn't speak for the O.P. but I understood him to be saying restructure. That usually means deferring the money. It doesn't mean foregoing the money. It means dead money on our cap later on like we had with TD and others. But basically if he has 20 million left we offer him a new deal worth say 25 and stretch it out longer so he gets more in the end but frees up some cap space this year.
        "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Originally posted by Champ>NFL View Post
          For the good of the team, look at what Fitzgerald is willing to do to keep Boldin on the Cardinals roster. He is much younger and has made much less, yet is willing to do what it takes to make a solid team. It is not that uncommon for a player to restructure for the good of the team. Payten Manning did it and i'm sure there are many more.

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska View Post
            I shouldn't speak for the O.P. but I understood him to be saying restructure. That usually means deferring the money. It doesn't mean foregoing the money. It means dead money on our cap later on like we had with TD and others. But basically if he has 20 million left we offer him a new deal worth say 25 and stretch it out longer so he gets more in the end but frees up some cap space this year.
            Exactly, i'm not saying we don't pay Champ, but do just as Diehard explained.

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska View Post
              I don't think those moves are permissible until a new labor agreement is worked out. If they were, with the possibility of an uncapped year, they would just restructure everyone to have a low cap number this year, sign as many free agents as they want, and then pay them later when there is no cap.

Comment

I would say it is much more likely Champ ask for an extension of 5 years 50MM. Ask Champ and he will be the first to tell you "this is a business", I wouldn't expect him to give any discount when it comes to contract negotiations.

Not saying that makes him a bad person, he earns it, but if he restructures, it will be for more long term money.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Champ will be the 2nd Highest Paid Defensive Player in 09 so we won't have to worry about restructuring his contract to make him happy... But we'll prob. cut Hall,Young,Robertson,Koutovides,

Comment

Originally posted by broncofanatik View Post
                    If anyone needs to restructure it's bly.. He makes the most on the team for some reason. something like 4 mill more per year than champ.
                    Bly is on a $33 mill 5 year deal.. he made over $10 mill last year.

We structure contracts so that we come close to maxing our cap by front loading some player so that we get their contracts mostly paid for, thus making them cheaper in the future and giving us more cap room.

Now assuming if we paid Bly a good junk before that $10 mill, he will be cheap from here on out... if we did the opposite and paid him a little before that giant chunk, then he definitely needs to take a pay cut.

Comment

Look for BOTH Bailey and Bly to restructure for the good of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
                        Bly is on a $33 mill 5 year deal.. he made over $10 mill last year.

We structure contracts so that we come close to maxing our cap by front loading some player so that we get their contracts mostly paid for, thus making them cheaper in the future and giving us more cap room.

Now assuming if we paid Bly a good junk before that $10 mill, he will be cheap from here on out... if we did the opposite and paid him a little before that giant chunk, then he definitely needs to take a pay cut.

Cut Bly he is not worth 33 Million

Comment

Originally posted by CodyRoark View Post
                          Champ will be the 2nd Highest Paid Defensive Player in 09

I doubt that. Haynesworth and Peppers will both get contracts larger than his. Suggs might, if he doesn't take a "hometown discount". If Asomugha is not franchised I bet he signs for more than Bailey as well. Champ will still be near the top, but I don't think he would be top 2.

I would love for him to offer up a paycut, but I do not see that happening. And of all the players on our D, he is the one guy that really deserves it. I won't complain

Comment

I'm not positive but I don't think teams are allowed to use simple restructures this year. Because of the lack of the salary cap next year I was under the impression that converting salary into roster bonuses to split up over the life of the deal would actually end up with everything being counted this year anyway.

Add to that Champ is going into the second last year of his contract, so unless he signs an extension you would just be making next year's cap number enormous!

Comment

IF Champ does restructure his contract that be awesome:salute!:

Larry Fitzgerald going to why not Champ
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X