Peyton Hillis for Starting RB Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyton Hillis for Starting RB Thread

I'm sure its been debated a lot on here but I would like to add my feelings into this idea and also see the arguments against it to understand why it might not be good.

Personally I think Hillis was amazing at RB, in the games he started he was never too tired by the 4th quarter, in fact he still had just good of runs in the 4th that he had all game.

He gradually improved each week after getting the starting job in Week 10, he basically saved our drive agains the browns on that short yardage situation and had nice runs for jumping into RB so suddenly, then you look at week 11 and he had 2 TDs and ran with power after only one week of practice at RB.

Week 12 he came even closer to that much needed 100 yard mark with 74 yards and a TD, after only 2 weeks of practice at RB mind you. Then week 13 after only 3 weeks of practice at the RB position he exploded for 130 yards and a TD against a really hot jets defense that was much talked about before the game.

Then sadly, week 14 came around, he was clearly on pace for another 100yard+ game with 58 yards and a TD by the second quarter before getting injured for the season. He was definitely showing much improvement and proving to us and the team that he can be a serious threat at RB, way more so than at FB. He is not just good for short yards, he had some good 6+ yard gains from the oakland game up to the Chiefs game. His talent would go to waste at just the FB positiong, this guy can break tackles and run throughout the whole game, he has amazing balance and amazing hands to go along with it.

The only thing that makes him any less appealing than a back like AP is the fact hes not as fast and does not juke as much, but he has a whole different style of running, he does not need to juke, he straight up breaks tackles and stiff arms defenders to get the extra yards.

His one injury was freakish too and it was not from running with the ball it was from making an AMAZING catch. If Reggie bush can be considered a RB then people are crazy to say Hillis cant be a RB. Hillis is by no means slow and he makes up for any of that slowness with heart. He has that IT factor, I know it and I'm sure many of you see it, I will be heart broken if he does not play at RB because his talent with the ball in his hands will go to waste at FB.

People make such a big damn deal about the 40 yard dash, sure he ran just below a 4.6 but honestly you rarely run straight up 40 yards without being touched in a football game, so having power is greater than having speed. Hillis has that speed when he needs it, you can see it in his highlights and he has great vision and awareness.

I have no problem if people think we should get a speed back to compliment him, or even use someone like Torian for that, but its crazy to think this guy should be a FB over a RB, we can draft a FB late this draft to get a decent one to block for this kid.

He is too amazing to not be a RB, especially if he had a great blocker at FB infront of him, one or two blocks and his ability to break tackles, or even jump them (dolphins game), will get him very far.

He has the IT factor, I'll bet anything on that, plus on top of that, he is a great guy and humble, I was extremely impressed with the fact he brought back the mile high salute, why noone else did it anymore is beyond me, but he obviously felt it was respectfull to do after his TD's at home.

Please let me know the reasons why some of you doubters feel hes a better FB than an RB, because I can't imagine how that can be true with the skills this guy posses while the ball is in his hands, just ask Bernard Pollard who he would rather have to try to tackle 2 games a year at RB, Hillis or some other guy? My bet is he says some other guy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSjDe0WDuCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48HAi...eature=related

Also I would love if people who agree that he should be our RB can keep this bumped until the season starts for support of him at RB.
    Unless of course someone has a good enough argument to make me and any others who agree change their mind on him at RB.

Edit: I do not mean that he shold be handed the RB spot either. All I'm trying to say is he deserves a right to compete for the spot and that if he is given that right, I believe he will win the starting job. Everytime he had the ball in his hands I felt like something big would happen and usually something big did happen.
    Last edited by BroncoFan1088; 02-12-2009, 12:39 PM.
    Being a Bronco fan is more important than being a fan of any coach or player in particular.

I'm all for this band wagon.

Comment

Don't let papa-pwn see this
      Originally posted by darth-hideous
      Champ losing a step, just means the rest of the NFL is now only two steps behind.
      Adopted by: CanDB & Peanut

Comment

finally, someone with common sense! also keep in mind hillis did the vast majority of his running in single back formation, no lead blockers! still humiliated defenses.
        sig pic removed by mod staff.
        we do not allow site advertising.

Comment

he's a great back.........an all in one well-rounded package..

this is a great point
          Originally posted by xxxlibertine View Post
          Peyton Hillis is one of those RARE players who makes every one around him perform better, just by his mere presence. That becomes contageous. Eddie Royal might be that kind of player too. They are difference makers, not just play makers.

Get a couple of guys like that on the defensive side of the ball and the Broncos will have a well rounded team that can compete for titles and championships.

Casey Wiegeman (among others on the team) believes the loss of Hillis to injury was the ultimate cause of the Broncos season ending collapse. Hillis' play would definitely have made a difference in the outcomes of those last four games.

We are talking about a guy who incorporates dragging a pick up truck uphill as part of his training regimen . . . I mean, my GAWD, how BEASTLY is THAT??? Peyton has the talent and desire to set records in Denver. Already he shares a very longstanding one with Floyd Little, having a 100 yd. rushing game AND a 100 yd. receiving game in the same season. Given the chance I believe Peyton could accomplish both in the same GAME. He is the kind of player who can completely take over and dominate a game and, if he is provided the opportunity, he will set new rushing records for the Broncos.:salute!:

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

I couldnt agree more with that other guys remarks. The truck thing was said during that question and answer clip with Hillis on Denverbroncos.com

If anyone hasn't watched that question and answers segment with him, I would suggest checking it out, his attitude really impresses me. Good man both on and off the field, I can bet you one thing, he will not get us any Turd points on ProFootballTalk.com. If this kid gets in trouble with the law, I would be completely shocked.
            Being a Bronco fan is more important than being a fan of any coach or player in particular.

Comment

Imagine Hillis with a whole training camp and preseason as RB. He did his magic last season after sleeping as a FB and waking up as a RB.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                Imagine Hillis with a whole training camp and preseason as RB. He did his magic last season after sleeping as a FB and waking up as a RB.
                it would be so sick. use him like a hybrid MJD-reggie bush. hes got speed (not sproles speed but enough to put any defender in teh NFL on his ass) and power (see cleveland game saving 1st winning)

hillis may be my favorite player next year, hes very very close now.

Comment

i agree. i think its gonna be hillis. him and that offensive line worked real well together real fast. unless someone else can step in and do that (maybe torain) i think he's gonna win the job.
                  Pro McD

Comment

somebody mentioned this on a prior threah about the same matter and they mentioned something about the damage hillis takes with his runnning style and how it would shorten his career and its a very good point...hillis might be bigger than most of the guys trying to tackle him but you have to believe that his body would take a huge toll week after week in a 16 game season at about 25 carries a game ........that would do lots of damage and definately shorten his career

Comment

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
                      somebody mentioned this on a prior threah about the same matter and they mentioned something about the damage hillis takes with his runnning style and how it would shorten his career and its a very good point...hillis might be bigger than most of the guys trying to tackle him but you have to believe that his body would take a huge toll week after week in a 16 game season at about 25 carries a game ........that would do lots of damage and definately shorten his career
                      the guys with short career or the little guys who take hits. delivering the hits is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
                        I disagree, look at Raw Lewis, he plays linebacker and hits a lot more often and harder than a RB will have to, and hes had a solid career for many years now. It's all about how you take care of your body and it seems apparent to me that Hillis takes care of his body.

I think its a point that is well noted and could definitely be possible, but I do not fully agree with its basis on the fact that defensive players that hit everygame, all game, play for many years at times. Of course for Hillis to last he would have to focus very hard on keeping his body healthy and in shape during the week, but he seems to have the right mindset to be that type of a guy.

Comment

You play to win the game

You do not approach the game by worrying about how a player will perform 5 years from now...that is just silly. You go for maximum effort. If Hillis starts to wear down at 300 carries, then you know what his "maximum effort is" and you sub a guy in his place. Then next year you can game plan Hillis for 300 carries.

You do not give Hillis 10 touches hoping that he plays until 33.

Now as to his running style and be unable to endure, I think that FBs have a much more brutal job and some of those guys play until 36. Most RB fade around 30 due to loss of speed and quickness, not because their body is sore...everyone in the NFL has sore bodies.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                          J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                          R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post
                            the guys with short career or the little guys who take hits. delivering the hits is different.
                            when you have agility and are nimble on your feet and you got quick feet you dont take all the force of the hit ....how many times do you see Lt or sproles or deangello williams to name a few getting laid out ....pretty much never

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFan1088 View Post
                              I disagree, look at Raw Lewis, he plays linebacker and hits a lot more often and harder than a RB will have to, and hes had a solid career for many years now.
                              think about it this way though ....when an offensive player sees ray lewis in front of them in no way shape or form are they trying to run him over so its one way contact ....if hillis is carrying the rock its 2 players going at eachother trying to kill eachother making the impact that much more potent...its not a mystery that for this somple fact runningbacks dont last too long

Comment

Working...
                              X