Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is football, not tennis!!!!!

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
    its not really about prolonging his career so that we get longer production out of him because that just being selfish ...that play where he ran over bernard pollard he might of sent pollard in to another world but he took some damage too ...he took himself out the game after that play ...now just add all those hits upin one season ....i just read some guy commited suicide because a part of his brain was missing that was cause by concussions or something....these players gotta watch out for their own health because the coaches wont
    I simply do not get your remarks on this matter and I will explain! This is football and these guys love to play, get paid a lot of money to do it, and also understand that there are consequences to playing the game. If you have ever stepped foot on a football field you would understand that no player goes out there with the mindset of " I better not carry the ball that many times or I might get hurt". The risk of injury is always there and you are trying to make it a science and there is no way to look into your crystal ball and see what might happen to him if he was the starting running back. We are not his family and we all know that but I would bet that neither him nor his family would say " please don't give him the ball that much", that is just absurd! I personally wouldn't want any of our player's hurt but I want us to win and if that means giving this guy the ball then I am all for it regardless of what might happen to him because when his career is over he won't be dropping by my house and no offense but you need to save your " what if he get's hurt comments for another sport!

Comment

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
      Not necessarily, and not even an accurate intelligent reply on your part at all!
      Take a look at McD's first year as an O coordinator (2006), and how he distributed the running backs:

Power backs (Dillon and Heath)= 226 carries
      Flashy back (Maroney and Faulk) = 200 Carries
      Receiving back (Maroney & Faulk) = 65 receptions

Total plays 491
      Total plays by Power back and receiving back 291 (60% of the production), 291 plays/16 games= 18.2 touches per game.

Who is our best power back? Hillis
      Who is our best receiving back? Hillis

I can make an educated guess that in McD's system, he will go more towards a power back running the ball than a flashy back and since Hillis is that guy I can see him in on 70% of the snaps.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
      J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
      R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Peyton Hillis for starting Fullback

Comment

Originally posted by CRAZYTRAINTK View Post
          . If you have ever stepped foot on a football field you would understand that no player goes out there with the mindset of " I better not carry the ball that many times or I might get hurt". The risk of injury is always there and you are trying to make it a science and there is no way to look into your crystal ball and see what might happen to him if he was the starting running back. We are not his family and we all know that but I would bet that neither him nor his family would say " please don't give him the ball that much", that is just absurd! I personally wouldn't want any of our player's hurt but I want us to win and if that means giving this guy the ball then I am all for it regardless of what might happen to him because when his career is over he won't be dropping by my house and no offense but you need to save your " what if he get's hurt comments for another sport!
          idn maybe i was on drugs ...hillis for Rb :salute!:

but on the real you do sound like a real ****** bag

Comment

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
            Thank you, and the key sentence, is the one I've highlighted. He definitely can do more, and score a lot more TD's. Jacobs from the Giants, in 13 games last season, he scored 15 touchdowns. It comes down to how they used the guy, and 15 TD's are better than 15 field goals, or INTs in the red zone
            He definitely has the potential to revolutionize the position in the same way Shannon Sharpe did to the TE position :salute!:
            You realize, Jacobs is a RB, not a FB on the giants roster right? He does not play FB and is not considered a FB in any way, shape, or form.

So basically what you just said is that he should be used like Jacobs but even more often, which would mean he should be the RB, not FB.

Lets all not forget, Hillis was MIA for most of the season while at the FB position, his breakout game was catching passes out of the backfield as a FB in the miami game, before that, he was hardly anyone we looked upon for anything. Not until he got his start at RB did most of us see his talent and fall in love with his playstyle...
            Being a Bronco fan is more important than being a fan of any coach or player in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFan1088 View Post
              You realize, Jacobs is a RB, not a FB on the giants roster right? He does not play FB and is not considered a FB in any way, shape, or form.

So basically what you just said is that he should be used like Jacobs but even more often, which would mean he should be the RB, not FB.

Lets all not forget, Hillis was MIA for most of the season while at the FB position, his breakout game was catching passes out of the backfield as a FB in the miami game, before that, he was hardly anyone we looked upon for anything. Not until he got his start at RB did most of us see his talent and fall in love with his playstyle...
              Exactly, Why people would want this guy on the bench because they ASSUME (yea I wonder why too) he doesnt have "top end speed" is just stupid and very petty.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

Here´s two names that spell bench:
                FA Maurice Morris, Seattle Seahawks
                FA Kevin Jones, Chicago Bears

Two very wiry individuals, rough and ready for Broncos football.
                mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFan1088 View Post

Haha thank you I was just about to say the exact same thing. People were talking all season about how Brandon Jacobs is built like a FB playing at HB wich is exactly what made him so effective.

And as far as people saying that Hillis is not a HB because he doesnt have great speed consider this: Open field speed is important in college, but in the NFL because of the overall speed of the game ball carriers very rarely find themselves in open space. Just look at Sproles... yes he had some good games but once he was put up against a good defense that stresses the importance of good tackling then he became nonexistant. Open field speed is useful every once in a while but without tackle breaking ability it means nothing.
                  Draft Clay Matthews Jr.

Comment

Still no good arguments against Hillis playing RB over FB, biggest thing people say is he will revolutionize the FB position.. w/e that means.

He is too good to not have the ball in his hands, and considering we will use a single back set often, he needs to be that single back, he can do great on screen plays and passes out of the backfield like swing routes. Just because he might be able to be the first FB to get some passes and carries in a game compared to always blocking doesn't make it worth putting hm at the position, he can do the same as our RB in single back formation + we could have that extra TE or WR in with him as our only back.

Screw Revolutionizing a position, I want results and I want some wins and the playoffs and him at RB will get us closer to that. He is a great man and a force with the ball in his hands or the ability to make catches out of the backfield.
                    Being a Bronco fan is more important than being a fan of any coach or player in particular.

Comment

Great short yardage back...

Hillis is a great short yardage back. Does anyone remember the broken tackle against Shaun Rogers on 4th and 1? He is the best short yardage back I've seen in Denver in a long, long, time. He's probably one of the best short yardage backs in the NFL with his agility and strength. This makes him great in goal line situations. He was one of the team leaders in touchdowns in his limited role last year.

His great hands also make him a great receiver out of the backfield or as an H-back.

I know that I am stating the obvious, but my point is this. What is the hang up for giving him a defined role? The guy is probably going to get 15-25 touches a game between running and receiving. Who cares what his positional title is?

The guy is going to get moved around the field a lot to try and exploit match up problems for defenses. This means disguising his role in formations. Sometimes he will be a lone set back. Some times he will be lined up as a full back, in which he will be a lead blocker, other times it may be to disguise him as a receiver. Sometimes he will go in motion, etc.

This debate is a demonstration of boredom on the message boards during the offseason.....

I think it's pretty obvious to identify that it's necessary to get him the ball as a receiver and a runner, and as a lead blocker. They could call him a TE and he could still do all of those things in the backfield, so what's the point of this debate??????:go:
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                        Hillis is a great short yardage back. Does anyone remember the broken tackle against Shaun Rogers on 4th and 1? He is the best short yardage back I've seen in Denver in a long, long, time. He's probably one of the best short yardage backs in the NFL with his agility and strength. This makes him great in goal line situations. He was one of the team leaders in touchdowns in his limited role last year.

His great hands also make him a great receiver out of the backfield or as an H-back.

I know that I am stating the obvious, but my point is this. What is the hang up for giving him a defined role? The guy is probably going to get 15-25 touches a game between running and receiving. Who cares what his positional title is?

The guy is going to get moved around the field a lot to try and exploit match up problems for defenses. This means disguising his role in formations. Sometimes he will be a lone set back. Some times he will be lined up as a full back, in which he will be a lead blocker, other times it may be to disguise him as a receiver. Sometimes he will go in motion, etc.

This debate is a demonstration of boredom on the message boards during the offseason.....

I think it's pretty obvious to identify that it's necessary to get him the ball as a receiver and a runner, and as a lead blocker. They could call him a TE and he could still do all of those things in the backfield, so what's the point of this debate??????:go:

I do agree with you here that we will utilize him whatever his title is but the only real reason that I see it make a difference is that we will be running primarily a singleback formation so if we give Hillis the title of FB then he will not be on the field for the majority of the game.
                        Draft Clay Matthews Jr.

Comment

People are starting to talk about how long it'll actually take to come back from his injury, apparently it's pretty serious.......

Comment

Originally posted by blackclouds View Post
                            I do agree with you here that we will utilize him whatever his title is but the only real reason that I see it make a difference is that we will be running primarily a singleback formation so if we give Hillis the title of FB then he will not be on the field for the majority of the game.
                            I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree. The point I am trying to make is that if he is classified as a FB you can still line him up wherever you want. In fact it makes since to have him listed as a FB so that you can have more rb's, or whatever your need is, on the roster.

He was used in the single back set last year as a FB, so why can't that feat be replicated this year?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                              People are starting to talk about how long it'll actually take to come back from his injury, apparently it's pretty serious.......
                              Really? I thought he his rehab was going pretty well. Isn't that the same injury that Ekuban had? Unless you know something that I don't (which is very likely ) he should be ready for training camp and back at full speed for the pre-season.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                                I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree. The point I am trying to make is that if he is classified as a FB you can still line him up wherever you want. In fact it makes since to have him listed as a FB so that you can have more rb's, or whatever your need is, on the roster.

He was used in the single back set last year as a FB, so why can't that feat be replicated this year?
                                Because we didnt start utilizing him as a rusher until our other backs went down and we officially changed his title to HB. When you run a singleback formation you have a HB in the backfield not a FB.

And as far as roster space is concerned we already have a ton of running backs on our roster and I agree that we need to eliminate some of them to free up space but I dont think that should include moving Hillis to FB, instead we just need to cut all but 3 or 4 of those guys.

And yes he has already had full recovery from his injury. I think the only reason people are mentioning it is they are wondering if coming back from an injury will limit his effectiveness, which it should not.
                                Draft Clay Matthews Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X