Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Clady already the best LT in the league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
    He went to the probowl his rookie year, only allowed a sack I believe. Got three votes for offensive rookie of the year...he stole 3 votes from Adrian Peterson phenomenal rookie year. He also was voted to the All-Pro team, first team....all as a rookie. Clady had a great year, but like I said, credential wise, Thomas had a better year.
    And the only reason he had all those accomplishments was because he came out of a big school and had a lot of hype, and lived up to his hype. Statistically Clady had a better year, he only gave up a 1/2 of a sack but like I said in my post above he has to do it again to surpass the so called best right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jvw View Post
      And the only reason he had all those accomplishments was because he came out of a big school and had a lot of hype, and lived up to his hype. Statistically Clady had a better year, he only gave up a 1/2 of a sack but like I said in my post above he has to do it again to surpass the so called best right now.
      As I pointed out, this stat is false (not sure where it came from). Thomas allowed 4 sacks his rookie year, and 4.5 this year.
      Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
        As I pointed out, this stat is false (not sure where it came from). Thomas allowed 4 sacks his rookie year, and 4.5 this year.
        to be fair, 4 sacks is still an incredible number. and look at the QB too, if we had ramsey back throwing clady would have given up a lot more sacks, so would harris. cutler is very mobile, sometimes too jumpy in hte pocket but he does avoid sacks very well.
        sig pic removed by mod staff.
        we do not allow site advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
          Clady only allowed 0.5 sacks all year (Thomas actually allowed 4 sacks his rookie year, not 1, and allowed 4.5 sacks this year), stole a ROY vote from Matt Ryan, and we all know that Ryan was easily the best ROY (Apologies to my boy Royal, but Ryan was the best Rookie no doubt, he led the Falcons to one of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history from the year prior and has legitimately earned the nickname Matty Ice), even more of a consensus ROY than AP was. About 30% of the runs favored his side, and he led an effort that resulted in the second best overall Offense stat wise in the league. Near the end of the year he absolutely was clutch, when our running game turned to poo and defenses did not respect our running game one bit. This made Clady's job even that more difficult but he still handled it like an All-Pro. Joe Thomas anchored a line for a team that had a great running attack that year, so his job as a blind side blocker was not that hard. Clady had to do the same on a line where the other team knew we weren't going to run the ball, and he shined. Even better, Clady only had one holding call and only one false start penalty all year, and Tackles get these sorts of penalties on a far greater scale than Centers or Guards, due to having to block not only DEs but also OLBs who are usually faster than they are. By the way, Thomas had 5 false start penalties last year and 4 this year.
          Fair enough, a great argument. All I know right now is Joe Thomas has two pro bowls under his belt. Clady has zero, sure you can make the argument that Clady came from a small school and was drafted 12 instead of 3. But Clady didnt even get a vote this year for OROY. Chris Johnson did though and he came from a even smaller school than Clady. For a Tackle to even get votes for an offensive rookie is amazing, let alone steal them from Adrian Peterson's year. And I still think its debatable as to who had a better year for a rookie, Peterson or Ryan. Peterson broke the single game rushing record his rookie year. You just don't see that anymore. As for Clady having less sacks allowed, in a pure passing scheme....wouldnt Cutler also contribute to this stat. Who would you take in when comparing pocket presence and avoiding sacks...Cutler or Anderson/Quinn?
          New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post
            to be fair, 4 sacks is still an incredible number. and look at the QB too, if we had ramsey back throwing clady would have given up a lot more sacks, so would harris. cutler is very mobile, sometimes too jumpy in hte pocket but he does avoid sacks very well.
            Oh, no doubt it is pretty awesome. I just wanted to make sure if we are going to have a real debate about numbers in terms of who is the best that we're dealing with the real stats and not made up numbers. I don't doubt Thomas is one of the best in the league, but the numbers show that Clady did more with less, when it comes down to it.
            Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
              Fair enough, a great argument. All I know right now is Joe Thomas has two pro bowls under his belt. Clady has zero, sure you can make the argument that Clady came from a small school and was drafted 12 instead of 3. But Clady didnt even get a vote this year for OROY. Chris Johnson did though and he came from a even smaller school than Clady. For a Tackle to even get votes for an offensive rookie is amazing, let alone steal them from Adrian Peterson's year. And I still think its debatable as to who had a better year for a rookie, Peterson or Ryan. Peterson broke the single game rushing record his rookie year. You just don't see that anymore. As for Clady having less sacks allowed, in a pure passing scheme....wouldnt Cutler also contribute to this stat. Who would you take in when comparing pocket presence and avoiding sacks...Cutler or Anderson/Quinn?
              Anderson didn't need to worry about not having a running game to back him up. No doubt that Cutler deserves plenty of credit as well, he has the fastest release of any QB I've seen since Elway and Marino. But Clady kept his jersey relatively clean all season.

Also, Denver players have often been overlooked for things such as the Pro Bowl (and HoF) simply because of the East Coast bias of the major networks such as ESPN.
              Last edited by floridabroncos; 02-16-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco in UT View Post
                Seriously,

Is Ryan Clady already the BEST left tackle in the league? There is no way he is not a pro-bowler, as evident in the poor play in the pro bowl by the other lineman. I'm not trying to be bias because I'm a Bronco man, but seriously, the dude should have been the number one pick last year, and he would easily be the number one pick this year. I honestly think he is the best LT in the league already. We got a MAJOR steal with that pick....
                Yes, you've been biased, and you're looking at things in hindsight
                Nothing wrong with that, but you can't say he's the best in the league when you have not seen every LT in the league play for you to make that statement...

Is Clady good?
                I think he demonstrated he's a very capable LT. He did a phenomenal job and was definitley worthy of being in the Pro-Bowl. As a said, he did a trememendous job in his rookie year, he needs another year to validate his rookie season play...
                sigpic
                I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
                  Yes, you've been biased, and you're looking at things in hindsight
                  Nothing wrong with that, but you can't say he's the best in the league when you have not seen every LT in the league play for you to make that statement...

Is Clady good?
                  I think he demonstrated he's a very capable LT. He did a phenomenal job and was definitley worthy of being in the Pro-Bowl. As a said, he did a trememendous job in his rookie year, he needs another year to validate his rookie season play...
                  I would definitely agree with that statement. He needs to produce over a longer period of time before the word great is attached to any statement made about Clady. He certainly was the best LT last year though, no doubt in my mind. I think he was passed over for the Pro Bowl precisely because there was little mention of him outside of Broncos circles last year. When you are a LT and your name isn't in the news much, it's a good thing. That means you are doing your job.

Comment

The biggest proof that he isnt the best LT in the league... His peers didnt think so. Yeah we all know that fans vote for thier players, and experts vote east coast. But Players and coaches keep the NFl pro bowl to the most deserving. So the fact that he didnt make it even as an alternate is saying a lot to me. Personally I think by stats alone he belonged in the PB, but he isnt the best LT. Next year is when we will see what he is made of. Having to block some of the top pass rushers in the league will be a true test (he really hasnt faced any top pass rushers cept peppers, and Abrhams). So next year will be his trial by fire.
                    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Cady

Well if they had to re-draft. clady would go over long jake long that is, long was a semi fluke when u compare him to clady. yeah long made it to the pro-bowl. if he wasnt the first picked he wouldnt be there. but look at the stats how many times has each of their quarterback been on the ground coming from their blind side which is the left. Long. has given up 2.5 sacks. Clady has given up only 1/2 sack.

Need I Say More

Comment

Originally posted by champ bailey 24 View Post
                        Well if they had to re-draft. clady would go over long jake long that is, long was a semi fluke when u compare him to clady. yeah long made it to the pro-bowl. if he wasnt the first picked he wouldnt be there. but look at the stats how many times has each of their quarterback been on the ground coming from their blind side which is the left. Long. has given up 2.5 sacks. Clady has given up only 1/2 sack.

Need I Say More
                        2.5 sack for the year is a great season. Plus when you add that he was one of the best run blockers in the league (I think I read somewhere that he was successfull on 96% of his run blocks). So it really depends on the team that is drafting. I will bet you though that if it was a man blocking team... Long is picked ahead of Clady. Clady is still very unknown when it comes to man blocking, and he needs a lot of work in the run blocking game
                        Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                          He definatly isnt the best. It takes more than one good season to be the best. Look at the seasons that Walter Jones has put up. Joe Thomas has been great. Jordan Gross, and Chris Samuals are proven studs. Flozell Adams has been solid for years, but he has fallen off a bit. Hell there are plenty that think that jake Long is a better tackle (He is the best run blocker in the league). The problem with Clady in year one was that he was in the ZBS. So he got a lot of help. He also didnt play a lot of games agianst great pass rushers. He was solid agianst Abrahams, and Peppers but outside of those games he didnt face a lot of great pass rushers. This year we will see what we have He will be doing a lot of man blocking. Plus he is going to go agianst the Wares, Osi, Tucks, Freeney, Taylor, Merriman, and he is going to face Pittsburgh and Philly two of the best pass rush teams. Next year we will see what he is made of. But through year one he should have been a pro bowler. But I dont think that he is in the discussion yet. If he can come close next year to this years success...Then I would say this conversation is valid. But right now he is just a great young player with a lot of potential
                          He faces Joey Porter and DeMarcus Ware (in the preseason) and did well against both.

But yeah I agree with your post.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco in UT View Post
                            Seriously,

Is Ryan Clady already the BEST left tackle in the league? There is no way he is not a pro-bowler, as evident in the poor play in the pro bowl by the other lineman.
                            While I think Clady had a 2008 season worthy of Pro Bowl recognition, I have a problem with the highlighted part of your argument.

You need to include more than just one exhibition contest (NFL Pro Bowl) to properly evaluate a player. Just because those chosen ahead of Clady had poor games doesn't immediately annoint him as the best in the league.

If that were the case, Jay Cutler's Pro Bowl performance could be used to argue that he's one of the worst QB's in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                              2.5 sack for the year is a great season. Plus when you add that he was one of the best run blockers in the league (I think I read somewhere that he was successfull on 96% of his run blocks). So it really depends on the team that is drafting. I will bet you though that if it was a man blocking team... Long is picked ahead of Clady. Clady is still very unknown when it comes to man blocking, and he needs a lot of work in the run blocking game

YOu Have agreat point but im tryna get across of how good of a pass blocker her was/is

Comment

Originally posted by LuisSantoyo6 View Post
                                YOu Have agreat point but im tryna get across of how good of a pass blocker her was/is
                                He definatly was... One of the big things for me next year is seeing what he has. I think we are going to be a man blocking team and he is going to face al the top pass rushers in the league during the season. That is the perfect test to see what he has. If he dominates. Then no one will be able to hide and all the honors will come his way.

To be honest I like that he got no love this year. Cause hopefully it will light a fire under him this offseason and he will go into the season with a big mean streak.... That is the one thing that I really think was missing from his game last season

Comment

Working...
                                X