Clear All

• From ESPN

Hot Button: AFC West

February 14, 2009 2:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The top issues facing each team in the division:

Denver Broncos

Dustin Snipes/Icon SMI
    Rey Maualuga might fit the mold of what Denver is looking for on defense.
    Primary issue: It's all about moving forward in Denver as the Josh McDaniels era starts, ending Mike Shanahan's 14-season run in Denver. If the Broncos are going to be successful early in McDaniels' tenure, they will have to address their problems on defense.

If the season started now, the Broncos would have a difficult time lining up 11 quality starters. The defense has been terrible for the last two seasons and there are only a few quality starters on the roster. Further complicating matters is that the Broncos want to run a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Mike Nolan, the former San Francisco head coach. Thus, Denver has to find players in that mold

The team has star left cornerback Champ Bailey, linebacker D.J. Williams and defensive end Elvis Dumervil, who could be moved to linebacker in the new scheme. Other than those players, the Broncos need a bunch of pieces. And players such as defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and cornerback Dre' Bly could be on their way out as salary-cap casualties.

Solution: The Broncos have the No. 12 pick and need to secure a quality player such as a middle linebacker like USC's Rey Maualuga or a defense tackle such as Boston College's B.J. Raji. Also, Denver needs to pick up a couple of starters through free agency. Free agents such as defensive tackle Grady Jackson, and perhaps, if Bly is cut, a young cornerback such as the Rams' Ronald Bartell could be interesting fits.

Secondary concern: While the majority of the work to be done in the offseason in Denver is on the defensive side, McDaniels is an offensive-minded coach and he needs to put his stamp on the team. He needs to get his key offensive players such as quarterback Jay Cutler and receiver Brandon Marshall acquainted with his system.

The Broncos put up a ton of yards in the final couple of seasons of Shanahan's regime, but they didn't score enough points to go along with those copious yards. McDaniels has to find a way to get the most out of his talent.

Solution: Offseason study sessions and practice in minicamps should get this offense in touch with what McDaniels -- who had raging success as the offensive coordinator in New England -- wants to get done in Denver.

Well found this at ESPN......... What do you think??

We do not save any cap room if Bly is cut. Bly is a decent #2 CB, so why cut him and then pay for someone else that wouldn't be any better.

If we want better CB play, sign or draft good safeties. Bly and Champ are better playing aggressive than playing on their heels. Over the top help and a pass rush would do wonders for our defense.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

I read this same thread on ESPN also, the comments at the end are so stuipd I wish I had not looked at them. I think the thred was pretty right on though even though the comments say Cuttler is a weak QB..Dumbness

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

The team has star left cornerback Champ Bailey, linebacker D.J. Williams and defensive end Elvis Dumervil, who could be moved to linebacker in the new scheme. Other than those players, the Broncos need a bunch of pieces. And players such as defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and cornerback Dre' Bly could be on their way out as salary-cap casualties.
        I think Williamson is stretching it by including Dumervil. Unless the Broncos stay with the 4-3, Dumervil becomes as much of an unknown as any player on defense for the Broncos. There's no reason to believe he will excel as a linebacker. He shouldn't even be starting in a 4-3 as a defensive end at this point. He's a situational pass rusher who had to start because there weren't any legitimate options to start instead.

Bailey will still be around because they aren't going to get rid of their best player in the secondary unless someone makes an offer they can't refuse.

DJ Williams will be around because he just signed a five year extension and they can't afford to get rid of him even if they wanted to. I don't think he's the world beater people make him out to be . He hasn't done anything to prove Madden was right when he said that DJ could have played in the NFL right of high school. If he was as good as people make him out to be, he would have been able to elevate the defense to be better than what it's been. He would have been the John Elway of the defense, if he was as good as people make him out to be. That being said, he is still the best linebacker on the team and that alone is reason enough to keep him around and give him a chance to play in the new system.

I think Dewayne Robertson might be a victim of Shanahan out-smarting himself. When Robertson was with the Jets, he was able to play more than 75% of the snaps. Even as the NT for the Jets in 2007, he had 74 tackles which was a lot more than what any defensive lineman for Denver had that year. Perhaps the Broncos over rested him and didn't allow him to get into a rhythm. I think that's been part of their overall problem with the defensive line play. Perhaps too much rotating of players. The starters should be playing 75% of the snaps, even if not all of those snaps are with each other. Those are your best defensive linemen and they need to be on the field as much as possible. But, if the Broncos do switch to a 3-4 they will have to either cut Robertson or consider moving him to DE. This is the first year where he actually missed a game because of his knee. Forcing him to gain weight to play NT would only make things worse. Moving him to DE would allow him to lose a few pounds, which could possibly help.

I doubt Bly gets cut before training camp. If the Broncos improve the front seven, Bly becomes an asset. He needs the front seven to put pressure on the quarterback. He's not the problem. He's exactly what they need, if they get a front seven that can pressure the quarterback.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I agree he's stretching it a bit with Dumervil. When I read that, I was kinda confused.
          sigpic

Comment

whats confusing??? Its not hard to see Dumervile being tried out as a 3-4 OLB. He fits the size and speed mold of an OLB in a 3-4 defense. That, of course, doesn't mean he'll succeed there. However, I think that Dum would fit better as a 3-4 OLB than he does as a 4-3 DE.

DJ williams will fit perfectly as the Mike or the Mac ILB in a 3-4. More so the Mac.. and will excell with his speed and tackling ability. Considering his experience playing MLB in 2007, he'll feel right at home and can play both spots. DJ is MADE to be the Mac in a 3-4 defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
              whats confusing??? Its not hard to see Dumervile being tried out as a 3-4 OLB. He fits the size and speed mold of an OLB in a 3-4 defense. That, of course, doesn't mean he'll succeed there. However, I think that Dum would fit better as a 3-4 OLB than he does as a 4-3 DE.

DJ williams will fit perfectly as the Mike or the Mac ILB in a 3-4. More so the Mac.. and will excell with his speed and tackling ability. Considering his experience playing MLB in 2007, he'll feel right at home and can play both spots. DJ is MADE to be the Mac in a 3-4 defense.
              Well I agree he can be tried out but that doesnt mean he's a lock so thats why I was confused (ok, maybe confused isnt the right word, so lets say I didnt agree).
              sigpic

Comment

It is very odvious that we need a complete overhaul on defense.

I say we cut our losses, trade Champ while he has value, and trade to get whatever we can out of DOOM, Bly, and Robertson!

I would hate to see Champ go, but if we can any kind of 1st round pick out of him, whether it be this year or next, I say we go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post

I say we cut our losses, trade Champ while he has value, and trade to get whatever we can out of DOOM, Bly, and Robertson!

I would hate to see Champ go, but if we can any kind of 1st round pick out of him, whether it be this year or next, I say we go for it!
                  How does trading our best D player help us? Try to remember how well he was playing before the injury. Look at it this way KWHIT, who in this years draft would you rather have than Champ Bailey? I can't think of one player that I would rather have than Champ that is entering the draft this year.

Comment

man calls it how he sees it. Respect :salute!:!
                    mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post

Wait. So you want us to trade Champ AND Bly? Who are we going to start at CB? Your not going to find better talent in the FA or Draft this year, so we will just be downgrading our defense further.

Comment

Doom

Doom was actually being projected as a 3-4 OLB out of Maryland coming into his draft

Comment

When Champ is healthy he is still one of the best, if not the best, CBs in the league.

You all seem to forget against the Pats, Moss wasnt doin jack until Champ went down. The man can still play at a very high level. To me it seems sometimes that most fans around here see our players as trade fodder. Get what we can out of em and when they look like theyre of no more use, get rid of em to try to get some value out of em one last time.

Everyone thats said "trade Champ, trade Bly" has never said who we'd get to replace them. They just want them gone. Sorry but that doesnt make too much sense to me.
                          LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                          Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Trading or cutting players who aren't the problem seems rather silly to me.

Ever heard of the phrase "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."?
                            Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Remember Jared Allen

Remember how the chiefs thought they were being smart trading away Jared Allen because he had a few issues. Same thing would happen if we got rid of Champ with the right pressure he will get the picks, and if we get rid of him we can't guarantee we can get another ball hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X