Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Due to demand. Who do you think was the greatest QB ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bklynbronco
    replied
    elway is great but

I rather have montana. don't get me wrong i love elway but montana's poise under pressure you just knew he was going to win. at the same time prior to elway winning with terrel davis,rod smith, ed macafferty,shannon sharpe, i looked at the other teams that elway went to the super bowl with and how he got the there was beyond me. All the QB's mentioned were surrounded with pro bowlers or hall of famers.

MONTANA-Jerry Rice,john Taylor,dwight clark,roger craig, tom rathman.
    BRADSHAW-Lynn swan, John stallworth,Franco harris
    STAUBACH-drew pearson,tony hill,jackie smith,tony dorsett
    FAVRE- sterling sharpe,antonio freeman,Mark Chmura, Dorsey levins
    MARINO-Mark Clayton,Mark Duper,Nat Moore,Tony Nathan
    UNITAS-Raymond berry,lenny moore
    GRAHAM(1946-55)-Marion Motley....if you think there was another good player on his teams please add on.

in elway defense his first three super bowls were with,vance johnson,mark jackson,orsen mobley, sammy winder, rickey nattiel, steve watson. Bobby humphrey was in the SB vs SF.

these names are not hall of famers and probably wasn't even pro bowlers to say the least but elway manage to get to several super bowls.Got blown out in all three but has to get a nod for great QB for a least getting these teams to a super bowl,don't he?

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    The problem is that "great" is a completely subjective term.

It all depends on what traits a person thinks are important to have at a given position.

QB is the most discussed, because it is the most difficult and key position.

Some go for more leadership, some go for stats, some go for rings, some go for physical attributes.

There is no 'truth', only opinion polls.

Hmm....

sounds like our election process!

Leave a comment:

• Aardwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos4ever
    What do you expect??? Last time I checked this was a Bronco Message Board and most of us are die hard fans. Why would we not vote for the man who gave us many great times and led us to two championships and is a sure shoe in to the HOF. That does not make us "homers" that makes us loyal. A word you would have no idea about because it is not part of your vocabulary.
    Are you kidding, YOU DON"T KNOW THE TRUTH. The truth is not always the "truth according to Aardwolf".

You make me laugh.
    Actually, there is a lot of TRUTH in your statement "Why would we not vote for the man who gave us many great times and led us to two championships and is a sure shoe in to the HOF. That does not make us "homers" that makes us loyal."

That truly IS the reason that you and other homers vote for Elway and not one of the guys who accomplished so much more. "Loyalty!" You KNOW it's not REALLY true but out of loyally you are willing to be be less that TRUTHFUL, even with YOURSELF.

But that not me! I find that I can have a far greater appreciation of the ENTIRE NFL history if I take a much LESS provincial perspective.

I liked John Elway, the player, just as much as any of you if not more. But that doesn't mean I have to ignore the reality that there are many quarterbacks who accomplished so much more during their respective career's than he did. He's ONE of the greatest ever, somewhere in the top dozen, probably. But certainly not THE GREATEST. That honor would HAVE to go to one of the guys who acomplished MORE.

That is, IF you want to be HONEST!
    Last edited by Aardwolf; 12-03-2003, 11:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• broncos4ever
    replied
    Originally posted by Aardwolf
    I am LOYAL to the truth!
    Are you kidding, YOU DON"T KNOW THE TRUTH. The truth is not always the "truth according to Aardwolf".

You make me laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Aardwolf
    replied
    What do you expect??? Last time I checked this was a Bronco Message Board and most of us are die hard fans. Why would we not vote for the man who gave us many great times and led us to two championships and is a sure shoe in to the HOF. That does not make us "homers" that makes us loyal. A word you would have no idea about because it is not part of your vocabulary.
    I didn't say that voting for Elway made you a "homer". It's the other way around. You vote for Elway BECAUSE you are a homer. If you were OBJECTIVE and totally honest you would pick Joe Montana or Otto Graham or maybe even Bart Starr or Terry Bradshaw. Guys that won it all 4 or more times, twice as many times as Elway or more.

The objective of a quarterback is to lead his team to the Championship. Lots of guy have done a better job of that than Elway.

I am LOYAL to being truthful!
    Last edited by Aardwolf; 12-03-2003, 11:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• broncos4ever
    replied
    Of course Elway will win. All the homers will vote for him.

I am always amazed at the "size, strength and speed" arguement regarding players from the past. How is it that the greatest football players of the era would be the ONLY athletes who would NOT be bigger, stronger and faster if they were playing age today? Makes NO sense!

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Added Graham as well.

Was tempted to add Jim Kelly, just on stats, but my gut is that he is just a notch below. But that is what "other" is for.

Leave a comment:

• ReasonableChief
    replied

I am always amazed at the "size, strength and speed" arguement regarding players from the past. How is it that the greatest football players of the era would be the ONLY athletes who would NOT be bigger, stronger and faster if they were playing age today? Makes NO sense!
    Let me clarify ... if you plunked a player of today down in the 1940s or 50s with the modern day training regimen (nutrition, fitness & a year-round commitment to football) they would be better athletes than the athletes of the past (who often did little training and had to have second jobs to survive)

Leave a comment:

• Aardwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by ReasonableChief
    I think the assumption is that the players of the modern era are better than the predecessors. But that's what makes it hard to compare different eras ... Just think what the average pro now could do against competition from the 40s, 50s & 60s from a size, strength & speed standpoint.

Having said that ... I'd be shocked if anyone but Elway wins the poll in here.

Leave a comment:

• ReasonableChief
    replied
    Otto Graham!!!!

Lead his team to 10 Championship games in ten years and won 7 of them! Nobody comes close to that!

How can Otto be missing from the list?
    I think the assumption is that the players of the modern era are better than the predecessors. But that's what makes it hard to compare different eras ... Just think what the average pro now could do against competition from the 40s, 50s & 60s from a size, strength & speed standpoint.

Having said that ... I'd be shocked if anyone but Elway wins the poll in here.

Leave a comment:

• Aardwolf
    replied
    Otto Graham!!!!

Lead his team to 10 Championship games in ten years and won 7 of them! Nobody comes close to that!

How can Otto be missing from the list?
    Last edited by Aardwolf; 12-03-2003, 09:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    I added Unitas.

I was wondering if anyone would like me to add anyone else. Its always a fun discussion.

There is always "other"

Leave a comment:

• TheGlue Factory
    replied
    Unitas should definitely be added to that bunch.

Leave a comment:

• pikman
    replied
    "Greatest" is such a subjective term.

Greatest numbers?

Most Superbowls?

Most Pro Bowls?

Then you have to look at the era they played in, their supporting casts.

Did they elevate the players around them?

So much to think about....

Gotta be ELWAY!

Leave a comment:

• Crazie
    replied
    Elway by far are you kidding me??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X