Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Given The Broncos Schedule Is Eight Wins Unrealistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if between nolan and mcdaniels a more disciplined style of football is introduced ( ie less turnovers by EVERYONE) then alot of the games aganst the elite teams will be alot closer.

Pitts, Giants, Ravens and Eagles.. suffocating defenses, but at times the offenses leave something to be desired . ( cowboys can be included in that group, but with a healthy Romo then their offense is explosive) IF our offense gets the TO battle under control than all those games are winnable with any improvement to our defense. While winning all of them is an incredible stretch, a couple of them are very possible.

In alot of our losses this year an early turnover killed us, and we couldnt recover momentum or swagger which is a mark of a younger team. Another year and losing the division the way we did will do a great job of maturing a young team into one with more composure. I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet on next years season
    Thanks Shanahan for the 2 SB's, but its time to move on. With McDaniels I hope to see at least one more, bringing back solid, fundamental football to Denver.

Comment

Its too early to be calling any game a loss. Will Tom Brady come back to being Tom Brady? Carson palmer struggled some coming back, and Tom had that infection as well. Will Merriman be as agile and quick? Damaged ligaments certainly will affect these things, especially since steroid usage possibly damaged them as well. Will Brandond Jacobs make it through a full season without the competnent Derrick Ward running behind him? etc etc...

Every team has questions at this point int he year, closer to the end of TC will be a lot easier to answer these questions. Why not at this point be optimistic about the team?
      sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
      SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

This past year should at least give us an object lesson in whats possible. Has anyone ever before seen a team go through as many runningbacks in one season as we did last year?

If we base our expectations of winning or losing on what happened this past year and how our team wound up versus how these other teams finished the season then sure it would be reasonable to conclude that we will see a .500 season at best.

My entire point is that our own season this past year could have been much different than it was if we hadn't lost so many of our key players to injury. At the beginning of the year with Pittman carrying the ball inside the 5 yardline we were much more effective in the redzone than with any other runningback we had with the possible exception of Hillis. If either of those two survive the season and stay healthy do we then wind up playing possibly even in the AFC Championship game last year? Our offense certainly produced massive amounts of yardage and just seemed to sputter once we got closer to the endzone way too many times. Which games would we have won with a legitimate short yardage threat in the backfield?

Right now we know we have a new coaching staff. Right now we know we have gotten rid of several starters from last years defense. Right now we know that we have a new direction on offense and on defense. We even know some players from last year will find themselves trying out in new positions for them this year (IE Moss at LB). Thats really all we know about our team and what this upcoming year will look like once the wins and losses are totalled up.

Will Cutler and company respond to and adapt to McDaniels new offense? Who knows?

Will We pick up a legitimate threat in the backfield through the draft or free agency? Who knows?

Will Hillis or Torain come back this year and become that backfield threat in McDaniels new system? Who knows?

Will we sign some significant free agents that really boost our defense, or find players in the draft that can come in and immediately make an impact beyond the college hype they have recieved so far? Who knows?

Will the teams that are now considered to be elite based on last years play manage to still be as dominant as last year? Who knows?

Will some of those "elite" teams face a run of injuries to key players that leaves them fighting for a .500 season themselves? Who knows?

Will we continue to shock and surprise the analysts when we face these "tough opponents" while losing to the "weak" teams? Who knows?

In short there are just way too many variables, and way too many possibilities to even begin to analyze what our upcoming season will be like.
        Based on this past season? Sure, realistically it doesnt look too good and we could very easily define this as a rebuilding year, but who knows what will happen not only with us but with the teams we will face between now and when we play the game with each one? Imo we could be 2-14 or superbowl champions, again.....who knows?

Comment

Magic ponnies all the way.

Comment

We all understand that this is a rebuilding year. Next year i will paying more attention to how well the players are transitioning to the new schemes and how well the coaches are building a winning franchise. As long as the broncos dont do a nose dive and become the chiefs, I prob wont care if they achieve better record.

GO ORANGE!

Comment

Originally posted by broncofanatik View Post
              You cannot just pick the teams from before that made the playoffs and say they are the "elite" teams and say ok we will lose to them. We WILL have a better defense. I don't care who you put in there, it WILL be better. Our offense might struggle in the first few games but it will be more dominant than last year.

While you say we will be hard pressed to win any of those games I would find it hard to believe that we lose more than 3 of those.
              This post is so hilarious I thought I'd look at it in detail!

Firstly who knows the NE system better than mcdaniels? That's 1 easy win right there.
              The Patriots an "easy win?" Are you high? That team won 18 games and breezed to the SB two years ago and 11 last year despite losing Tom Brady in week one. Now they're getting Brady back and have a veteran team with a ton of talent on both sides of the ball. Something the Broncos can't say. Despite "knowing the NE system" the Broncos will be VERY lucky to come away with a win. The Patriots are still the most talented team in football -- at least until 2010 when FA will take its toll.

The cowboys? Could go either way.
              That's true. Nobody knows how the Cowboys will respond to being favored to go to the SB and then being shut out of the playoffs. They have a lot of talent though and Tony Romo back.

Philly? Over rated imo. You contain westbrook = win and with a 3-4 that will be easier than last year.
              Philly has been to five NFC championship games. That's an elite team. Period. They won 2 playoff games on the road and smoked the Giants, the NFC's #1 seed. Your opinion doesn't mean much. As for the Giants nobody wins the SB, beating an 18-0 team by being "overrated." Then they get the NFC #1 seed but are upset by a Philadelphia team that is a division opponent. Division opponents usually play each other closely, regardless of the records because they are built to stop each other.

And as for being easier to beat them in a 3-4, that depends on whether the Broncos find an elite NT or not. If so, then yes. If no, then the offensive line double-teams and pushes your NT right back into the LBs, opening a big hole in the middle of the line. Westbrook will destroy the Broncos if that happens.

Ravens are losing a lot on their defense next year. Both starting cornerbacks are gone or will be gone and they are expected to lose one or two linebackers. If ray is gone from their team how do you even expect them to be the same? That's another win.
              The Ravens have had an elite defense for the last 8 years and next year won't be different. They lost Adelius Thomas and kept right on going. For years they were held back by crappy QBs like Kyle Boller. Now they have Joe Flacco entering his second year and are actually a threat to score once in a while.

The Ravens are definitely an up and coming team. And they're not losing Ray Lewis this year. They've already franchised Terrell Suggs so he's going nowhere either.

How are the colts any different from us? They got a new HC and DC and OC. True manning is amazing but that doesn't mean he wont skip a beat and be unstoppable. If we play them early in the year expect us to win.
              This is nothing but hype. When did the Broncos last beat the Colts in a game that mattered? Manning is still the best QB in football and their defense is a LOT better than Denvers. For one thing they actually have some D-linemen who can rush the passer. Denver's defense will be starting reconstruction and the team has a long way to go to match the Colts.

Our schedule might look hard but no one knows until next year who really are the elite teams. For all we know the chiefs go 11-5 and the chargers go 3-13. For all we know the giants go 1-15 and the redskins go 12-4. I just do not see the overly pessimistic attitude around here. I see us going anywhere from 8-8 to 12-4. Yes I said it 12-4.

Anybody who thinks the Broncos will win 12 games given that schedule is deluded. Could it happen? It's possible. The Rams did it in 1999 after picking up Kurt Warner. But, you can get pretty good odds in Vegas against it.
              Last edited by Cugel; 02-21-2009, 09:33 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Realistically if Denver's offense adapts to McDaniels spread scheme. (which I'm sure he'll bring which was just like Jeremy Bates just better in my opinion) I'd say it's possible that we win 9-10 games on the back of our offense.

Now, ill put on my orange colored glasses for a moment here and take a shot in the dark and lets say Nolan & McDaniels vastly improve our defense and our current players and soon-to-be newly signed free agents and drafties can adjust to the 3-4 scheme and improve to the 15-16th ranked defense then I see no reason why Denver can't win between 11-12 games next year. Anyways i'm going to take off those orange glasses now.
                Last edited by RxDx; 02-21-2009, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                  The Dolphin FANS probably did. It's not our job to face the season with optimism. We can be realistic about the teams' chances. Unless you're a blind homer that is. What happened in Miami is pretty unusual. Most times a 1-15 team might win 6 or 7 games the next year, certainly not 11.

It's the coaches and players jobs always to look on the bright side of things. After all they have to line up and play. If they enter the game thinking "we're so screwed, we have no hope!" then they're certain to lose.

But nothing requires a fan to blindly believe. You can root for the Broncos without thinking they're going to win.

I'll be wildly happy if they win 11 games and beat the Chargers twice just to humiliate them and make Rivers cry! Yes, CRY you worthless crybaby! You're ugly and those teeth make you look like a deranged beaver.

Do I expect it to happen, realistically? No.
                  Well, here's the thing: if we were looking to go back to the new season with the same defense, we're toast. We have to rebuild and if we are rebuilding from scratch, we aren't going to do well on defense for at least one year and likely 2-3 before we are back where we need to be.

There is going to be a total revamp of the defense and we need to expect that we aren't going to do well with that either since we are moving to a 3-4 and we've realistically always stocked our defense with people who are better in a 4-3. That means that for at least the first year and likely two our defense is going to struggle while we try to get people into our scheme that will fit it. The big question is: can we do that realistically in one year with the draft and FA?

And the biggest positions we HAVE to fill in order to have a chance is that monster nose tackle. No 3-4 defense can be successful without one, no matter how good we might be at other positions.

Then we need the ILBs to help stop the run.

Finally, we need the near-assassin safety that can both cover and also punish opposing rushers and receivers. We need a young John Lynch.

Now, given those holes, how realistic are we that we can fill them in one season?

Personally, I expect 8-8 again this year and much of that will be on the strength of the offense and winning in spite of our defense for another two years.

If we can realistically fill even TWO of those positions this year, and the rest in the following year, then the 2011 season is the one we will be a power in the division and the conference.
                  You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                    Well, here's the thing: if we were looking to go back to the new season with the same defense, we're toast. We have to rebuild and if we are rebuilding from scratch, we aren't going to do well on defense for at least one year and likely 2-3 before we are back where we need to be.

There is going to be a total revamp of the defense and we need to expect that we aren't going to do well with that either since we are moving to a 3-4 and we've realistically always stocked our defense with people who are better in a 4-3. That means that for at least the first year and likely two our defense is going to struggle while we try to get people into our scheme that will fit it. The big question is: can we do that realistically in one year with the draft and FA?

And the biggest positions we HAVE to fill in order to have a chance is that monster nose tackle. No 3-4 defense can be successful without one, no matter how good we might be at other positions.

Then we need the ILBs to help stop the run.

Finally, we need the near-assassin safety that can both cover and also punish opposing rushers and receivers. We need a young John Lynch.

Now, given those holes, how realistic are we that we can fill them in one season?

Personally, I expect 8-8 again this year and much of that will be on the strength of the offense and winning in spite of our defense for another two years.

If we can realistically fill even TWO of those positions this year, and the rest in the following year, then the 2011 season is the one we will be a power in the division and the conference.
                    Have you actually looked at the defensive talent available in FA? We can solidify DE, DT, S, ILB, and CB with players of much higher quality than we had last year. We have the cap room to sign a lot of those guys, and most won't cost too much. Factoring in the draft, new defensive coaching, and players on our roster that could very well benefit from the transition, I think we will very likely have a much better D than last season. Hell, if we can force a reasonable number of turnovers that alone will help us immensely.

I don't fully understand why so many think our D won't improve next season. More than likely, it isn't going to be great or even good, but average seems very attainable. If our offense makes the transition to the new system smoothly, this team has the potential to be very competitive.
                    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X