Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truth or Fiction, only serious responses please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truth or Fiction, only serious responses please.

My brethren on the Chiefs page have posted this. I have lived in Colorado for about 6 1/2 years now. I do remember these changes but since I am not a Broncos fan never really followed the whys. I do also remember the fight for the Mile High name and always thought the trousers looked like the Nike Swoop but was not sure if they really sold out.

So my real question without starting any name-calling is the following pretty much true or not. Please if you don’t know don’t just chime in whining about the Chiefs this and that just give me the scoop. I try and be objective in most of my post whether you believe it or not. In fact I took up for Anderson on the Chiefs page when he got busted, until it was proven that he had been busted before.

"The Broncos have a sad record of selling out the team in the Bowlen years. It was Bowlen who held the club hostage and threatened to move them to places like Birmingham if he did not get a new stadium. So, first he sold out to Nike and put them in those hideous disco togs they now call Bronco uniforms. Like the Chiefs, the Broncos uniform and logo was classic. The "D" with the Bronco through it told you who they were. Then the official lettering of the team was "BRONCOS", "denver", with Denver underneath. Bowlen was reported to have commented that the new uniforms and logo could be used anywhere, not just in Denver. That was a not so subtle threat. Like the Broncos or not, that orange jeresey and helmet was as classic as the Chiefs red and arrowhead, and the Raiders black with the funny pirate and the eyepatch. I only would have changed the shade of blue they had. The helmet never did match the blue trim. What was up with that? Then Bowlen and Denver sold the naming rights to Invesco. Only after much yelling of the Donks fans did Invesco, the city and the club relent to allowing the Invesco Field "at Mile High" get tacked on. The sad state of $$$$$ports today. Go Chiefs! Beat Disco Denver!""The Broncos have a sad record of selling out the team in the Bowlen years. It was Bowlen who held the club hostage and threatened to move them to places like Birmingham if he did not get a new stadium. So, first he sold out to Nike and put them in those hideous disco togs they now call Bronco uniforms. Like the Chiefs, the Broncos uniform and logo was classic. The "D" with the Bronco through it told you who they were. Then the official lettering of the team was "BRONCOS", "denver", with Denver underneath. Bowlen was reported to have commented that the new uniforms and logo could be used anywhere, not just in Denver. That was a not so subtle threat. Like the Broncos or not, that orange jeresey and helmet was as classic as the Chiefs red and arrowhead, and the Raiders black with the funny pirate and the eyepatch. I only would have changed the shade of blue they had. The helmet never did match the blue trim. What was up with that? Then Bowlen and Denver sold the naming rights to Invesco. Only after much yelling of the Donks fans did Invesco, the city and the club relent to allowing the Invesco Field "at Mile High" get tacked on. The sad state of $$$$$ports today. Go Chiefs! Beat Disco Denver!"
    Never take life seriously.
    Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I think you'll get a response here, but not right away. This post will get the wheels turning and make us fans really consider some things. It hits too close to home for some of us to admit. We think we have it all, but so did Cleveland a few years back. There may be some truth in some of this, but I'm afraid that the only one that knows for sure is Pat; and he wouldn't admit to any of it. It'$ a $ad reality these days, but should the Broncos ever leave Denver... yikes. The ire... the hatred... the madness!!! I can't even comprehend it right now.

Oh yeah... the new uniforms are SO much better than the old ones. Sure, the old ones were classic, but they were pretty ugly. Although, they weren't as ugly as the old, old ones.... which were, in fact, much better than the old, old, old uni's...
    Last edited by Mount-n-Groan; 12-03-2003, 09:17 AM.
    Winter is Coming!

Comment

In this day an age......

a lot of what goes on with teams is so far out of the fans control that to complain about it makes no sense. how many stadiums in sports have changed their names to business names? that's nothing new. the little swoop on the pant leg is not the nike sign. that seeing too much into things. in baseball the yankees held thier fans hostage. out of 182 games the fans see 12 games on free tv and the rest on the yes network which before last season only 1/3 of the city was getting because one of the major cable companies(cablevision) did not want to put the yes network on their basic package. so the yankee fans were being punished in the power struggles of corporate america.I brought up the yankees because they are a winning organization but their management still treats it's loyal fans like crap. my point is that sports is a business and unfavorable decisions are made against the fans all the time. The only way things happen if the broncos continuously have losing seasons and attendance goes dramatically down.then there is a possibility of making changes but as long as management puts a good product on the field they got the fans by the balls.

By the way, why do you care if denver management sells out? your a chief fan, you should be happy that it's not your team. It looks like you are trying to take digs at the broncos about stuff the fans have no control over and by now don't care about.
      Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

bklynbronco,
        I love football! I hate to see things ruin it. Look at Cleveland and Baltimore when those teams picked up and moved it was hard for true fans to understand why? I didn’t put Oakland in there because they have management issues and the fans out there are all wishy-washy anyway. When Seattle left the AFC west I was bummed out because they had been with us for so long. When we added more teams again I thought it hurt football because there is not 32 quality QBs and RBs out there or 64 WRs I felt that it watered down the quality of play. It also hurt allegiances. You have players now don’t have allegiance to the city but to their pocket books (there are a few still out there but not many). I know the NFL in general is that way but I still like to believe it is a game played for us. So to loose Denver out of our Division would be like losing a distant cousin. They are there and a lot of times a pain but they are still part of the family, or in this case part of the rivalries in football.
        Never take life seriously.
        Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Comment

Bowlen hasn't exactly held the city hostage. Unfortunately, Mile High was dreadfully old (originally built in the 50's and had numerous additions during the next 40 years) and needed to be replaced. He did not say he would move the team unless he got a new stadium but did mention that it might be a possibility. As for naming rights... That's done all the time now (again unfortunately.) Fortunately, Invesco kept Mile High in the name - mostly due to everyone in the city in an uproar about the name.

As for the uni's... Most everyone hated the new jersey's but loved the new logo and colors. Most everyone has grown to like the jersey's now (most likely as a result of back 2 back Championships.)

Comment

It is hard to imagine the Broncos being any where else other than Denver. The entire Rocky Mountain time zone follows the Broncs and Denver would never be the same without them.

Broncomania is a religion in Colorado. Every where you go, you see Bronco stickers, shirts etc. This shows how much the entire state loves their team.

When Pat said "I want a new stadium", they put it to the voters and it was passed without question. This shows how much support the community has for their beloved team. Perhaps Pat used threats to ensure the victory on election day, but I don't believe that he would have seriously considered moving the team.

I shutter to think that it was even a possibility. That stadium has been sold out for 30+ years with no end in sight. Pat would be crazy to take his team elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents.

GO BRONCOS!!
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Not from Colorado, so on the stadium issues I will have no comment.

As for the unifroms, I have to admit, after a few years, the new logo grew on me. The changing of the blue was unnecessary. I am all for updating, but they probably could have done one OR the other, but not both at the same time. The new unis are ok in white, but the all blue is just not cool. I wonder why they de-emphasized the orange to a trim color only, except on alternate jersey week? The orange was as much a part of the Broncos uniforms as a horse was for many years.

I am ok with the new logo and colors now, but I still think the unis with that swoosh thing are just terrible.

Here's a question for anyone who has photoshop: can you try to either approximate the old uni with the new colors, or vice versa? or how about removing the swoosh thingy on the new ones? just to see what it looks like?

But yes, it is all a part of merchandising. That is part of a team's revenue stream that they do not have to share, so there is always the competition to be among the best sellers. Oddly enough, other than the Broncos, the other teams that continually rank in the top 10 in merchandising have done very little drastic chagnes to their uniforms in the years (San Fran, Dallas, NYG, Green Bay, Chicago, Oakland). So I am not sure if you guys in Colorado are just more rabid, or what. Usually a change either brings a big surge or a big drop.

I know this because I used to work at a catalog call-in center for a certain famous retail catalog (think 1 cent), and we had a whole training session on inventory and how they had certain teams in certain warehouses, but the top 10-12 were in EVERY wearhouse.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
              You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                Not from Colorado, so on the stadium issues I will have no comment.

As for the unifroms, I have to admit, after a few years, the new logo grew on me. The changing of the blue was unnecessary. I am all for updating, but they probably could have done one OR the other, but not both at the same time. The new unis are ok in white, but the all blue is just not cool. I wonder why they de-emphasized the orange to a trim color only, except on alternate jersey week? The orange was as much a part of the Broncos uniforms as a horse was for many years.

I am ok with the new logo and colors now, but I still think the unis with that swoosh thing are just terrible.

Here's a question for anyone who has photoshop: can you try to either approximate the old uni with the new colors, or vice versa? or how about removing the swoosh thingy on the new ones? just to see what it looks like?

But yes, it is all a part of merchandising. That is part of a team's revenue stream that they do not have to share, so there is always the competition to be among the best sellers. Oddly enough, other than the Broncos, the other teams that continually rank in the top 10 in merchandising have done very little drastic chagnes to their uniforms in the years (San Fran, Dallas, NYG, Green Bay, Chicago, Oakland). So I am not sure if you guys in Colorado are just more rabid, or what. Usually a change either brings a big surge or a big drop.

I know this because I used to work at a catalog call-in center for a certain famous retail catalog (think 1 cent), and we had a whole training session on inventory and how they had certain teams in certain warehouses, but the top 10-12 were in EVERY wearhouse.
                I agree whole heartedly regarding the Broncos uniforms.

The only uniform in team history that was not ugly was the 80's and early 90's road uniforms. They looked pretty good in those.

But the orange jerseys were way too gaudy for me and that "swooshtika" thing on their current uniforms is downright disgusting.

If it was removed, they would be pretty sharp. But with it? UGH!!!!
                Last edited by Aardwolf; 12-04-2003, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aardwolf

The only uniform in team history that was not ugly was the 80's and early 90's road uniforms. They looked pretty good in those.

The all white with the blue helmet and blue and orange trim on the shirts and pants?

Nice.

I liked the orange jersey with white pants too.

I hope they never try the reverse! yuck.

And no blue pants....with anything.......seriously. Never ever ever again.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                  You should check these guys out

Comment

Forgot about that! Those blue pants made me wonder if they weren't just flat out TRYING to have ugly uniforms.

Comment

at first...

The uniforms took a little getting used to. Wasn't exactly burning the runways in paris but as ugly as they are how many other teams, professional or in the college ranks copied something of the broncos uniform especially after they won a super bowl.
                      Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

That's all true. I love the new uniforms though. ESPN.com's page 2 just voted it the best uniform in any sport. It really is the best looking uniform. Chiefs looks dull and old fashioned to me.

The NFL is a business. The Broncos are a business. Pat Bowlen is a businessman, and yes he did blackmail the city. There's no doubt he's a prick, one who will keep his utterly outdated hair and jacket forever :p

Comment

Hey maybe we can bring back the striped socks....................LMAO

Comment

Working...
                          X