Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moss to OLB

Jarvis Moss - DL Feb. 20 - 6:36 pm et

The Broncos have informed Jarvis Moss that he will be moving to outside linebacker this offseason.

Moss has the requisite pass rushing skills and athleticism to play outside in the 3-4, but his coverage skills need work. Notoriously underweight, Moss never fit well as a defensive end, so the move should be beneficial.
    Source: Rocky Mountain News
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clu...FL&majteam=DEN

Nice to hear, what do you guys think??
    sigpic

Originally posted by IPICKEDYOUOFF View Post

It is definitely a better position for him. He actually showed some signs of life last year I thought. I hope he succeeds, I always thought he was a good dude. He was the first one to practice and the last to leave last year during training camp, so he has good work ethic.

Comment

Well this will be better than him sitting on the pine as a DE. At least it will give us resolution on if he was a bust or not finally. He still has to live up to his promise he gave me that he would knock Phillip Rivers out of a game.
      sigpicThanks to Freyaka for the sick Sig pic!!

Comment

The move makes a lot of senses to me. I think we all saw this coming if he was to stay on the team. He needs to work on his back pedaling and coverage skills but the move could greatly help his production as a pass rusher as he will go up against TE's and RB's more so then against LT & RT in the 4-3 scheme. He has some athletic ability that could shine more so then the past two tenures under Slowick and Bates.

I hope the adjustment goes well for him.

Comment

Originally posted by IPICKEDYOUOFF View Post

I will go on record right now and say Tim Crowder will end up as a better OLB than Moss.

Moss is in danger of not making out of TC.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
          J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
          R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

I think Jarvis Moss is going to be kind of like Shaun Phillips(SD OLB) because they are both kind of a lankier build with more speed than power. This could be a great opportunity for Moss..
            Cincinnati Bengals GM 2012
            For trade: #17, #21, all players besides Aj Green and Andy Dalton.

Willling to trade for- WR, OG, DB

Draft Picks- #17, #21, #53, #85, #115, #117, #149, #159, #181, #213

2012 Mock Draft

1. Jerel Worthy- DT Michigan State
            2. Doug Martin- RB Boise State
            3. Brandon Boykin- CB Georgia
            4. Chris Rainey- WR/RB Florida
            5. Bj Coleman- QB Ut-Chattanooga
            7. Joel Foreman- OG Michigan State

Comment

Great to hear i hope he is working on his backpedal and coverage technique right now and all through the off season aswell as add muscle to make himself more compact

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
                I will go on record right now and say Tim Crowder will end up as a better OLB than Moss.

This is a pretty bold statement considering Crowder doesn't have near the skill set to play OLB.

Crowder seems too small to play DE in a 3-4, and Too big/slow to be a OLB in a 3-4.

At least Moss is fast.

I'm not sure why so many people are high on Crowder. I don't see how crowder even has a place in a 3-4. I wouldn't be surprised if we shop him eventually for a 6th or 7th round pick lol.

If we keep him it'll be because he has value in our intent of being a hybrid defense.

This isn't to be seen as me declaring Moss to be a good OLB, but I think he has a better chance than Crowder does lol.
                sigpic

Comment

Crowder is just as big as Adalius Thomas and Willie McGinest, so as long as he has the athleticism he should do fine.
                  Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                  Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by broncsfan21 View Post
                    Crowder is just as big as Adalius Thomas and Willie McGinest, so as long as he has the athleticism he should do fine.
                    I don't really think he does. lol.
                    sigpic

Comment

Maybe Moss can finally do something for the team....

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post

Crowder is your prototypical 4-3 defensive end, 6'4 275lbs., Willie McGinest is 6'5 269lbs. It might not seem like a big difference to you, but height/weight ratio does play a factor in Pro Sports, that is how come there are 6'1 310lbs. nose tackles in this league, though the average is 6'3 330lbs. the lesser height the stouter they are and they play as though they have more weight because center of gravity. That is how Dumervile was capable to even play decently as a 4-3 defensive end.

Moss is closer to the average size of the transition ends who change to outside linebackers in the 3-4, and some are shorter and lighter and are capable to become even 4-3 linebackers at the next level. Maybin fits that role, he would be able to play in either scheme as a linebacker, rush or otherwise.

Dumervile and Crowder IMHO will be the two having trouble finding a good place in the 3-4, but will be utilized in 4-3 change ups as part of the hybrid defense.

Comment

Defensive end Jarvis Moss will be taking a couple of steps back.

Now that the Broncos will use more of a 3-4 defensive alignment, Moss, the Broncos' first-round pick in the 2007 draft, has learned he'll be moving to outside linebacker in Mike Nolan's new scheme.

"They feel like it could be good for Jarvis, because he hasn't put on the weight you would expect a defensive end to have. And he's athletic enough to do it," Moss' agent, Pat Dye Jr., said on Friday. "My sense is, he'll be an outside linebacker and a big pass rusher, primarily."

The team previously had alerted Elvis Dumervil of the possibility of making the transition from a down lineman to a stand-up defender.

Moss has vowed to add 10 pounds this offseason while working with a nutritionist and strength coaches in Gainesville, Fla. But he has had difficulty moving north of the 255 pounds he carried at season's end.

The key challenge for Moss in his new position will be proving he can backpedal and turn in coverage. In the past, he has dropped periodically in zone- blitz situations.

"We actually did some of that before the draft because the 3- 4 teams obviously didn't see him as a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme," Dye said. "So the 3-4 teams put him through linebacker drills and he did fine.

"He's plenty athletic. My hope was, at this point, he'd weigh 265, 270 and be a prototypical defensive end, but that hasn't happened. So this could kind of be a rebirth for him."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...r/?partner=RSS
                          The Broncos are expected to meet with the agent for center Casey Wiegmann in the next 48 hours about a restructured contract. Wiegmann wants to play a couple of more years but is seeking a pay hike after a Pro Bowl season. He's slated to make $845,000 in base salary next season. . . . The Broncos aren't expected to retain many of their free agents. But one player they're at least going to discuss bringing back is lineman Kenny Peterson, who, at 6-foot-3, 300 pounds, can play defensive end in a three- man front.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if the reason Moss and Crowder are still on the team is because they don't want to admit it was a mistake
                            Either one of those guys should have by now made some kind of positive impact in a game. LB may indeed be a better position for them...
                            Giving them another chance this year seems to be very generous. Let's see if they can take advantage and show us something we can look forward to...
                            sigpic
                            I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

hell even with the change I don't believe that Moss will even be a starter. My money is on Elvis Dumervil or some other rookie coming in and securing one of those Outer Linebacker spots ahead of Moss....

The only place I could possibly see Moss is at Sam Linebacker, and a down DE in the dime-package.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X