Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cutler has already stated he will show up to mandatory camps and such.

    If he wants a new contract (which seems to be the growing consenus, that this is all about business, money and a new contract), part of Cutlers strategy could be HE will threaten to not play.

    He cannot do that, as he is under contract, and has to play. He wants to force a new contract.

    Aquan Bolden and Chad Johnson last year both wanted new contracts. Both were told to either play and make money, or be benched.

    The threat of being benched, not being paid, motived those players real fast.

    Cutler has a small base salary with lots of incentives to make more money. He won't want to be benched, just as those 2 WR last year didnt want to be benched.

    I heard an accurate comment on both Cutler and Rivers yesterday: Both are emotional, tempermental and need to be handled with kid gloves. That is already apparent by Cutlers actions.

    The coach told him in the last meeting that they are not going to trade Cutler, but it might be something that happens in the future.

    Frankly, I would have told Cutler the same thing. By his reactions to this situation, and by bringing his agent to the "one on one" meeting that McDaniels tried last week, and by going to the media and forcing this situation....wouldn't you say the same thing to any employee that has acted in the manner that Cutler has?

    McDaniels is not the type to handle anyone with kid gloves. Why would he want the headache and constant drama of a sensitive QB who will run to the media with every disagreement they have?

    So...Cutler, if not traded, will play for Denver this year. It comes down to how much McDaniels is willing to tolerate of Cutlers dramatics,how badly Denver needs to win, and the pressures of McDaniels to perform.
    sigpic
    Adopted by: Peanut

    "You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

    Comment


    • Originally posted by crazycombo View Post
      I say... cutler is a freaking punk... I don't like the guy.

      I just think that we need to teach him a lesson, if a club call you with a trade, you need to listen, because there is a relationship between clubs that need to be respected.
      This seems to be the heart of the anti Jay crowd. We don't like his attitude so, let's teach him a lesson. Who cares what is best for the team or what gives us the best chance to win. I read one person say they'd rather lose with Simms than win with Cutler....WHAT?!?!?!:brick:

      That is not how the NFL works or has ever worked. The last time that actually happened was when Al Davis benched Marcus Allen for three years. It was the move that began the down hill slide in his reputation from a smart football man to a senile, drooling, depends wearing idiot.

      Your suggestion is that we follow Al Davis' lead. Um no.
      sigpic


      Comment


      • Originally posted by Darth Tyger View Post
        Wait a second......

        Do you honestly think or expect Bronco fans to pay hundreds of dollars to go to see some bizzarre emo play acting by the coach while the team gets pounded into the turf, and the best player is benched for revenge?

        Have you ever paid $200 to go and try and get a good feeling out of watching a coach "prove his 32-year-old point", .....revenge at the cost of the team????

        Hollllllleeeeey Smokes...........

        Dude...that's just not very normal.

        Seek help, please.
        You made my point...but you did a much better job of it!
        sigpic


        Comment


        • Originally posted by Darth Tyger View Post
          There's also the point that 75,000 people probably aren't going to pay upwards of $200 apiece to watch you teach for 3 hours a week either.

          ;-)

          :cutler:.............go TEACHERS!!!!
          Not unless I taught 'in the buff'

          Then they would pay that much too not watch me!
          sigpic


          Comment


          • I have been incredibly harsh on Jay lately and I know it's not all his fault for the mess that has been created. Both sides made it to what it has come to. Benching Jay is definitely not the answer. He does give this team it's best chances to win, I just wish he would get his advice from somebody else other than Bus Cook (like John said).

            It's kind of hard for both sides to meet when his agent is telling him all the wrong things, that are only in the best interest of Mr. Cook. It should be in Jay's best interest to come in and play for the Broncos because he is not going to like where Josh sends him if he is traded. I still believe that the Broncos can win without Jay but I would much rather have him back there than Cris Simms or any other QB.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BroncFanIN View Post
              Cutler has already stated he will show up to mandatory camps and such.

              If he wants a new contract (which seems to be the growing consenus, that this is all about business, money and a new contract), part of Cutlers strategy could be HE will threaten to not play.

              He cannot do that, as he is under contract, and has to play. He wants to force a new contract.

              Aquan Bolden and Chad Johnson last year both wanted new contracts. Both were told to either play and make money, or be benched.

              The threat of being benched, not being paid, motived those players real fast.

              Cutler has a small base salary with lots of incentives to make more money. He won't want to be benched, just as those 2 WR last year didnt want to be benched.

              I heard an accurate comment on both Cutler and Rivers yesterday: Both are emotional, tempermental and need to be handled with kid gloves. That is already apparent by Cutlers actions.

              The coach told him in the last meeting that they are not going to trade Cutler, but it might be something that happens in the future.

              Frankly, I would have told Cutler the same thing. By his reactions to this situation, and by bringing his agent to the "one on one" meeting that McDaniels tried last week, and by going to the media and forcing this situation....wouldn't you say the same thing to any employee that has acted in the manner that Cutler has?

              McDaniels is not the type to handle anyone with kid gloves. Why would he want the headache and constant drama of a sensitive QB who will run to the media with every disagreement they have?

              So...Cutler, if not traded, will play for Denver this year. It comes down to how much McDaniels is willing to tolerate of Cutlers dramatics,how badly Denver needs to win, and the pressures of McDaniels to perform.
              I kinda-sorta argee with you about the benching part. Except for one thing.

              You are comparing benching WR's to benching star QB's. Apples and oranges here. The QB handles the ball every single play and 10 guys are keying on what he does, while 11 guys are all trying to stop one guy...the QB. The WR position simply doesn't have that sort of impact.

              Apples and oranges.

              You can't bench star QB's to "prove a point" or "teach them a lesson",.....in today's NFL they are worth about 10% of the market value of your entire franchise. You bench them if they aren't playing with fire or throwing for 4500 yards and a dozens of TD's.

              You DO NOT bench them because they made the Pro Bowl at only 25 years old and Matt Cassel didn't.

              Football is a team game....except for the QB.

              Baseball is a team game.....except for the pitcher.

              You see?

              And before you say that MLB pitchers are benched all the time, do not forget that there is no comparable bullpen in the NFL. The drop off in talent between a Jay Cutler and a Chris Simms is so large as to be absurd to even consider doing it out of anything other than necessity.

              This bizzare passion some Denver fans have to "teach Cutler a lesson", or "Let's try to ruin his career, that'll show him", is really getting old. Not to mention rather....disturbing. The only place I've ever run into that sort of thinking was in Oakland. How are we ever going to get a star QB when half the fans only want to root for running people out of town.



              That's not football....that's just mean.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                No, attitude usually changes over time, as someone matures, experiences life, and grows up.

                At 25-years-old, it's reasonable and logical to assume that in 10 years, Jay will be a drastically different person than he is today.

                So to give up on him now for showing immaturity and aloofness would be ridiculous, and the dumbest move the franchise has made since it went with vertically-striped socks.
                It's good we can all agree that Cutler IS immature and aloof, but the question is, can great skills by such a QB sustain a team until said QB grows up?....I say no. Damage has been done here on this team, and you can point a finger at McD, but the inmates cannot run the asylum. IMO, unless Cutler miracuously grows up in the next week or two, we trade him. He could be of great value to a team that will coddle him, and we of course would have to receive great value in return.
                Team Tebow #515

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Pura Vida View Post
                  Not unless I taught 'in the buff'

                  Then they would pay that much too not watch me!
                  LMAO!!!!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Cut Jay View Post
                    It's good we can all agree that Cutler IS immature and aloof, but the question is, can great skills by such a QB sustain a team until said QB grows up?....I say no. Damage has been done here on this team, and you can point a finger at McD, but the inmates cannot run the asylum. IMO, unless Cutler miracuously grows up in the next week or two, we trade him. He could be of great value to a team that will coddle him, and we of course would have to receive great value in return.
                    From my viewpoint, being a rookie head coach in your first month on the job, coming to the #2 offense in the NFL, and trying to trade Jay Cutler for Matt Cassel WHILE NOT bothering to inform your new boss of such a "trivial matter" is....uh....dare I even think it????? Immature and aloof????

                    LMAO!!!

                    Helloooooooooo.........

                    Try not to let Kiszla do your thinking for you.

                    Jay is the only one here who IS being mature. He's managing HIS career.

                    Besides...he was only studying McDaniels playbook while McDaniels was trying to trade him behind his back.....

                    Mature?

                    Aloof?

                    :cutler:

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Darth Tyger View Post
                      From my viewpoint, being a rookie head coach in your first month on the job, coming to the #2 offense in the NFL, and trying to trade Jay Cutler for Matt Cassel WHILE NOT bothering to inform your new boss of such a "trivial matter" is....uh....dare I even think it????? Immature and aloof????

                      LMAO!!!

                      Helloooooooooo.........

                      Try not to let Kiszla do your thinking for you.

                      Jay is the only one here who IS being mature. He's managing HIS career.

                      Besides...he was only studying McDaniels playbook while McDaniels was trying to trade him behind his back.....

                      Mature?

                      Aloof?

                      :cutler:
                      I wouldn't quit agree with that statement. Not answering the owners phone calls or bringing his agent to "one on one" meeting with Josh isn't exactly acting in a mature manner. He has no doubt a good reason to be upset but he needs to put it behind him after the organization said they weren't going to trade him. He is not the first QB in the history of the NFL to be on the trading block, get over it and act like a team captain, like he is supposed to be.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Darth Tyger View Post
                        From my viewpoint, being a rookie head coach in your first month on the job, coming to the #2 offense in the NFL, and trying to trade Jay Cutler for Matt Cassel WHILE NOT bothering to inform your new boss of such a "trivial matter" is....uh....dare I even think it????? Immature and aloof????

                        LMAO!!!

                        Helloooooooooo.........

                        Try not to let Kiszla do your thinking for you.

                        Jay is the only one here who IS being mature. He's managing HIS career.

                        Besides...he was only studying McDaniels playbook while McDaniels was trying to trade him behind his back.....

                        Mature?

                        Aloof?

                        :cutler:

                        Fiddle away Nero. If Cutler stays, and he's the reason this team burns up, don't come crying to me.
                        Team Tebow #515

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Cut Jay View Post
                          Fiddle away Nero. If Cutler stays, and he's the reason this team burns up, don't come crying to me.
                          OK, But when Cutler leaves and McD goes 3-13, you CAN come crying to me. There will be plenty of room on the 'fire mcdaniels' bandwagon for the fans that used to support a rookie coach whose only accomplishment so far is making the front office the laughing stock of the league.
                          sigpic


                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Cut Jay View Post
                            Fiddle away Nero. If Cutler stays, and he's the reason this team burns up, don't come crying to me.
                            I'll try to refrain from emailing you asking for a Kleenex.

                            And your reference to the storied Emperor is completely backwards....lol. Nice try, though. ;-)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jvw View Post
                              I wouldn't quit agree with that statement. Not answering the owners phone calls or bringing his agent to "one on one" meeting with Josh isn't exactly acting in a mature manner. He has no doubt a good reason to be upset but he needs to put it behind him after the organization said they weren't going to trade him. He is not the first QB in the history of the NFL to be on the trading block, get over it and act like a team captain, like he is supposed to be.
                              But it happens all the time in all team sports. It's called "You blew it and now you have to pay up."

                              Cutler was merely sending the classic old-school signals that rook coach had made a McDummy of a mistake and now it was time to renegotiate the contract a bit prematurely.

                              Opppth.

                              Cutler is playing it very similar to how Elway played it just prior to entering the NFL.

                              Comment


                              • How does it benefit the TEAM?

                                No matter what your personal feelings of Cutler or McDaniels are at this point, simply benching Cutler will NOT improve the team. Cutler won't learn some magical lesson and be humbled and come back willing to play. No matter what you think of him personally, he's a grown man and a wanted commodity in todays NFL by both the Broncos and many other NFL teams. He knows this and the Broncos know this.

                                Cutler holds all the cards right now. If he was some poor character malcontent who nobody wanted benching him might work, but Cutler isn't. IF we bench him, all we do is hurt the franchise in the long haul. We'd eventually have to trade him, anyway. There really are only two options:

                                1) Work it out with him and give him a reason to stay and be the franchise QB. I really don't think he wants to leave. He feels slighted and is upset that McDaniels hasn't made the gesture to to show trust and confidence in him.

                                2) Trade him for picks and players that could help the team and move on. We get NOTHING if he's sitting on the bench collecting a paycheck. Trying to "teach him a lesson" isn't going to do the team any good at all. First, whoever is starting at QB (be it Simms or whoever) will be constantly looking over his shoulder in case Cutler decides to change his mind and play. That distraction is NOT what we need. Second, his trade value is through the roof right now. We have the opportunity to really make some moves for draft picks or very good players if we strike while the iron is hot.

                                If we let him sit for a year and he doesn't come back and then we trade him, we're looking at a stocked QB draft class to compete with (McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, etc) and his value will be less NTM, he's got a whole year of not playing to make up for that other teams will use to lower his value.

                                The "let him sit" arguement only works if the guy is a mediocre player or someone that we can do without with minimal team impact. In this scenario, it's like the Pats or Colts benching Brady or Manning.

                                I'm a Cutler fan, but I'm really a BRONCOS fan. If it doesn't help my team to win games, it's just not a good idea in my book.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X