Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jay has a reputation for blowing off the press after a loss and hanging to chat after a win. Media outlets (esp those in Denver) cough up pretty good money for access to players. When the lynch pin of the entire team refuses to play nice, people talk.

    I can't even look at the threads on orangemane because I had the temerity to suggest that Bowlen himself might be getting tired of Jay's manners in post game interviews. But he's paying Jay big money and probably expects a little more maturity.

    This latest episode can't be good for Jay's image....

    The funny part of the whole situation is that McDaniels and Bowlen are the best hope Jay has for climbing out of the hole he's dug. He's lucky he's a Bronco...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by TXBRONC View Post
      Why did we trade for Walker? Because he wanted more money from the Packers and they wouldn't give to him. Walker demanded a trade out Green Bay and at the end of 2007 he said pretty much the same thing.
      How many games did Walker miss during his contract that were not due to injury?

      If Cutler holds out for an entire year because he doesn't get his trade, is that different?
      vote HILLIS in 2009!

      Comment


      • Im listening to the stream now its just two idiots talking about nothing to do with football

        was the girl already on?

        did she break any news?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
          It's not an issue about being right or wrong - it's about the difference between reporting REAL news and GOSSIP bullcrap. It was ridiculous with Elway and it's ridiculous with Cutler.

          I mean, considering Tom Brady got two different women pregnant at virtually the same time well into his career, do we really need to cast stones at Jay Cutler and his drinking habits?
          To play devils advocate, there is potentially a big difference. If the coach sees this as an issue it certainly is news worthy. Especially if it led to this whole mess.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
            It's not an issue about being right or wrong - it's about the difference between reporting REAL news and GOSSIP bullcrap. It was ridiculous with Elway and it's ridiculous with Cutler.

            I mean, considering Tom Brady got two different women pregnant at virtually the same time well into his career, do we really need to cast stones at Jay Cutler and his drinking habits?
            You could be right...it could be nothing more than gossip....but, what if it isn't? I'm guessing there was enough of a backlash over this story to have made her answer some tough questions to her bosses by now. She is still sticking to it. Unless she is trying real hard to get fired, I'm guessing there is at least as much chance that this is legit as there is that it is gossip.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
              Of course people LOOK BACK on Elway's career and see a winner. It's easy to see the good things when you LOOK BACK 20 years later.

              But I can assure you that MANY (if not the majority) of people blamed Elway exclusively for why Denver couldn't get over certain hurdles and why the offense always seemed stagnant.

              From 1983-1992, Elway averaged nearly 16 interceptions a season, while averaging just 16 touchdown passes a season. He was a statistical nightmare, and although he won a lot of games, he took ALL the blame for losing and ALL the blame for losing in the Super Bowl. He was fortuante to have played with an excellent defense for most of his first 10 years, because if he didn't he probably would have been out of Denver in 5 years at the rate he was going.

              That's not to say Elway did all bad. Far from it. He was so much fun to watch. But he was inaccurate, took too many chances, and made A LOT of mistakes. What saved him most early on was his legs and a great, mostly underrated defense.

              But again, it's all perception. People once perceived Elway to be a bust, a whiner, a loser. It's the same perception people are having about Cutler just 3 years into his NFL career, and I'm trying to demonstrate the virtue of patience when you're dealing with a talented NFL quarterback like Cutler and once upon a time, like Elway.
              It's easy for people to EXPECT what a quarterback should say or do and state 'this is how I would handle it'. But there's a reason why only 32 guys in the world get to do the job, and why only a fraction of them are truly elite. And all of them have flaws and weaknesses, just as Elway and Cutler.
              But Mojo, I think there is a big difference in this statement. I think the perception is that Elway couldn't win the 'Big One' where as Jay has the 'loser' tag. Fair or unfair as it is to Jay, he will keep this tag until he actually does start winning consistently. With free agency and the quick fix mentality, people will be impatient no matter how much 'potential' a guy has.

              Comment


              • story about Walker: "Walker eventually backed off of his threats to hold out and reported to camp. In the first game of the 2005 season, Walker injured his ACL on a pass from Favre. The Packers placed Walker on injured reserve for the remainder of the season."

                It is irrelevant to this thread anyway. If Cutler chooses to sit out a season, assuming McD stays the course and holds on to him, it will hurt Cutler's value. A team is going to think twice about paying big money to a guy who would sacrifice an entire season for his teammates and fans for such a relatively insignificant action by a head coach.
                vote HILLIS in 2009!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by pitnlala View Post
                  To play devils advocate, there is potentially a big difference. If the coach sees this as an issue it certainly is news worthy. Especially if it led to this whole mess.
                  Look, if McDaniels has a problem with Cutler's drinking habits, fine. He can deal with it as he sees fit.

                  But to me, it's not newsworthy one way or the other, just as it wasn't newsworthy when Brady knocked up two different girls and it wasn't newsworthy what kind of candy Elway gave out at Halloween.

                  If he breaks the law doing it? Sure, then we can talk about it being worthy of a Fox News Reporter. But it's ridiculous for all this talk about Jay's drinking habits to be front and center as it is, when a) McDaniels hasn't made one mention of it; b) situations like this are assessed differently from person-to-person; and c) we have no idea how it effects him.

                  It just bothers me because it's being reported like a gossip columnist working for TMZ would report it. Rather than just talk to an NFL source, why doesn't this reporter do some actual investigating and go to some of these local bars and pubs and talk to people? Why not talk to Cutler and the Broncos first before posting it?

                  It's just horribly irresponsible anyway you slice it.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by topscribe View Post
                    I have to agree at this point. I think McDaniels is laying it on pretty thick, and
                    he's being pretty obvious, to me, and also to Cutler, then. However, this is
                    Cutler's chance to come back now with some leverage.

                    -----
                    I agree TOP. The more days that go by with McD saying 'He is our QB' or 'We are not entertaining trade offers' and Jay says nothing, I feel he is giving more leverage to the Broncos and the other 31 teams who perceive him as a 'problem'.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Binary Bolt Fan View Post
                      Jay has a reputation for blowing off the press after a loss and hanging to chat after a win. Media outlets (esp those in Denver) cough up pretty good money for access to players. When the lynch pin of the entire team refuses to play nice, people talk.

                      I can't even look at the threads on orangemane because I had the temerity to suggest that Bowlen himself might be getting tired of Jay's manners in post game interviews. But he's paying Jay big money and probably expects a little more maturity.

                      This latest episode can't be good for Jay's image....

                      The funny part of the whole situation is that McDaniels and Bowlen are the best hope Jay has for climbing out of the hole he's dug. He's lucky he's a Bronco...
                      I agree with you there. That's a bit disturbing. Jay is showing a deficiency to deal with adversity.
                      I believe the best example that strongly supports what you're saying was at the last game of the season. I believe -I could be wrong- that Jay didn't stick around for post-game interviews following the loss to San Diego. He was on his way out of town the next day too...
                      sigpic
                      I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                        But Mojo, I think there is a big difference in this statement. I think the perception is that Elway couldn't win the 'Big One' where as Jay has the 'loser' tag. Fair or unfair as it is to Jay, he will keep this tag until he actually does start winning consistently. With free agency and the quick fix mentality, people will be impatient no matter how much 'potential' a guy has.
                        Actually, many people at the time thought that the Broncos won IN SPITE of Elway, not because.

                        Again, people who were around back then and heard the media and watched him play know this.

                        But you're right about one thing - people had that perception of Elway until 1997, 15 years into his career and only after he won a Super Bowl. So maybe it'll take Jay that before people get off his back and stop worrying about every little tiny thing he does?

                        Again, I'm just asking those who have labled Jay over these past few weeks, few months, couple of years, to read this article, and gain SOME perspective on the matter.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • I'm Convinced That Jay's Staying

                          This may strike a negative chord with all those who like the multiple threads going on re: Jay and Josh, but I'm feeling very confident that Jay's staying. Josh has been tested pretty thoroughly of late, and in my opinion he is doing a decent job of facing the press, and stating his side of the story. It's a bit like a guy on trial, which is a little unusual for a Head Coach (to be in that position), in terms of a head to head situation with a player. And given his youth and that he is a 1st year HC, I give him credit. And when he says he wants to talk to Jay, one on one, I believe him. That's the best way to resolve matters normally. And if Jay can sit with him, minus his agent, I believe no matter the real plot, they will gradually reduce the distance.

                          And during the process, I'll bet Jay is feeling a little less comfortable with the image attack that has surprisingly taken a slight turn against him, albeit not to a high degree. Jay may also be thinking about the positive possibilities here (versus elsewhere), his buddies, the chance at a renewed contract with the Broncos and so on. And even if he has been "directed" to keep some room between himself and management, as this thing moves on I believe there may be a slight shift back to the organization.

                          Possibly before long this will no longer be a story, and that would be fine with me and many of you I'm sure. It's time to focus on the draft, camp, and the coming season. No question in my mind that a team with Jay & Josh will fare very well. Just give it time. Sorry to those looking for some drama. I'll take good old "normal" over drama........

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Go_Bolts04 View Post
                            You could be right...it could be nothing more than gossip....but, what if it isn't? I'm guessing there was enough of a backlash over this story to have made her answer some tough questions to her bosses by now. She is still sticking to it. Unless she is trying real hard to get fired, I'm guessing there is at least as much chance that this is legit as there is that it is gossip.
                            The fact that the contorversial part of the story was pulled, and she fought to have it put back in- and won, gives more credibility to it than I was willing to give it last night.

                            Her interview tonight on the radio made me rethink some of my skepticism from last night. She was very believeable (for what it's worth), and focused more on the part of the story dealing with Jay's ability to pick up the offense.

                            She specifically stated she spoke with a current NFL coach whose team had been rumored in trade talks but no longer is. He expressed the same misgivings.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                              Look, if McDaniels has a problem with Cutler's drinking habits, fine. He can deal with it as he sees fit.

                              But to me, it's not newsworthy one way or the other, just as it wasn't newsworthy when Brady knocked up two different girls and it wasn't newsworthy what kind of candy Elway gave out at Halloween.

                              If he breaks the law doing it? Sure, then we can talk about it being worthy of a Fox News Reporter. But it's ridiculous for all this talk about Jay's drinking habits to be front and center as it is, when a) McDaniels hasn't made one mention of it; b) situations like this are assessed differently from person-to-person; and c) we have no idea how it effects him.

                              It just bothers me because it's being reported like a gossip columnist working for TMZ would report it. Rather than just talk to an NFL source, why doesn't this reporter do some actual investigating and go to some of these local bars and pubs and talk to people? Why not talk to Cutler and the Broncos first before posting it?

                              It's just horribly irresponsible anyway you slice it.
                              Forget the drinking for a second. Is it newsworthy if McDaniels said that he doesn't have confidence in Cutler's ability to learn and play McD's offense? Because that is ALSO what she is reporting in this article. The alcohol thing doesn't matter...the toher thing should matter a great deal IF it is true.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by pitnlala View Post
                                The fact that the contorversial part of the story was pulled, and she fought to have it put back in- and won, gives more credibility to it than I was willing to give it last night.

                                Her interview tonight on the radio made me rethink some of my skepticism from last night. She was very believeable (for what it's worth), and focused more on the part of the story dealing with Jay's ability to pick up the offense.

                                She specifically stated she spoke with a current NFL coach whose team had been rumored in trade talks but no longer is. He expressed the same misgivings.
                                Interesting. That would explain a lot.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X