X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhns
    replied
    Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
    Lets see, he has worked on both sides of the ball and in recruitment for a dynasty team in NE, revamped the defense, put together a solid veteran coaching staff, is implementing a brand new offense, addressed EVERYTHING at Dove Valley from the top all the way down to the FOOD they serve.

And we define his coaching stint but Cutlers temper tantrum.....

I hope you never make one mistake in life that everyone hammers you on so hard in your life.

Besides, Mcd didnt choose X, Bowlen did. The Goodmans were there, but they didnt play nice and got bounced. So Pat made the call to bring in two fresh thinkers. Mcd didnt make that call.
    I'm not even talking about Xanders. He has no control. McDaniels is the GM and has claimed it in public. He straight said all player decisions go through him. We gave a rookie head coach full control of the team. More control than even the Patriots give their head coach.

I don't define it by Cutler. I don't approve of a few of the moves. I also don't define his coaching as anything. He may prove to be a great coach. I question his GM skills.

The Goodmans didn't play nice? When did you hear this?

I don't get paid millions in my job and my job doesn't have millions of followers that care about my decisions. I can make mistakes all day and only have to hear about them from one or two people. If I ever get control of an NFL team, I would expect to be critisized for my mistakes. If people critisized my current mistakes, I would just have to wonder why they even care.

Leave a comment:

• broncobruj
    replied
    Lets see, he has worked on both sides of the ball and in recruitment for a dynasty team in NE, revamped the defense, put together a solid veteran coaching staff, is implementing a brand new offense, addressed EVERYTHING at Dove Valley from the top all the way down to the FOOD they serve.

I hope you never make one mistake in life that everyone hammers you on so hard in your life.

Besides, Mcd didnt choose X, Bowlen did. The Goodmans were there, but they didnt play nice and got bounced. So Pat made the call to bring in two fresh thinkers. Mcd didnt make that call.
    It isn't just the Cutler fiasco that was started by McDaniels and ended by Bowlen. It is also the suspect draft choices made. How often do you hear the owner of a team say that he was a little confused by our draft? How often do you hear an owner admit that his shiny new coach has been making rookie mistakes? I'm sorry, a strong percentage of you keep quoting the business end of things...how would your new boss feel if you lost them one of their biggest clients? Would he pat you on the head and say it's okay, we'll get 'em next time? No, I think you'd be canned on the spot...Being a head coach shouldn't entail on the job training to the extent that you may have set your team back for years to come...

Leave a comment:

• acpell671
    replied
    Have you started a job that you were already perfect at?

I dont know about you, but I havent. Ive very very good at what I do, but if I changed jobs, there would be a learning curve.

Every single person that has started a new job has had to learn and grow. This includes head coaches.
    A HC should know his job. All the learning curve should be is to get to know how the organization runs. He has staff to help him with that. He has a GM who is probably less qualified to be a GM than McD is to be a coach. That is a major problem and has shown immensely this off season. This is not a good thing, nor is it acceptable to me.

There is a big difference between have a management position or middle management position and switching jobs as opposed to running an organization.

Leave a comment:

• McSmashie
    replied
    Originally posted by jhns View Post
    That is why they gradually move up the ranks. You do not learn as you go when you are running an organization. This is why a veteran GM was needed. McDaniels does not have the training to run a team. Even the coach he learned from didn't have that power. They had a GM that made player decisions.

Leave a comment:

• jhns
    replied

I dont know about you, but I havent. Ive very very good at what I do, but if I changed jobs, there would be a learning curve.

Every single person that has started a new job has had to learn and grow. This includes head coaches.
    That is why they gradually move up the ranks. You do not learn as you go when you are running an organization. This is why a veteran GM was needed. McDaniels does not have the training to run a team. Even the coach he learned from didn't have that power. They had a GM that made player decisions.

Leave a comment:

• jhns
    replied
    The Broncos traded Jay Cutler. There is no other way around it. Jay can't trade himself or do anything about it. His only option would be to hold out. He had said the entire time, before and after the trade demand, that he wasn't going to hold out. That leaves him no other options. The team got to decide if they wanted to deal with Cutler or not. They decided they didn't want to. It was the front office of the Denver Broncos that traded Jay.

Leave a comment:

• McSmashie
    replied
    Originally posted by acpell671 View Post
    Sorry McSmashie, but this is not an acceptable for a HC to be learning on the job. You criticize Cutler for making rookie mistakes but the difference is he was drafted out of college to be a rookie on this team. Mike Shanahan is responsible for putting Cutler in when he did and it falls on him if Cutler was not ready to start. It is understandable for rookie players to make mistakes, they are here to learn under the tutelage of their coach.

McD was hired to coach this team. If he wasn't ready or qualified, he should have never been hired. He should not even be handling personnel issues, we have a GM for that. A HC making a mistake in front of the camera can have major consequences. I wish I could be as understanding as you, but I expect much more from the HC of my team.

Leave a comment:

• McSmashie
    replied
    Originally posted by jhns View Post
    People do not have to come into these threads and debate about Cutler. Why are you complaining about the debates taking place as you all contribute to them? It just doesn't make any sense. Noone is here discussing this on their own. The same people telling us to move on are the same ones keeping the discussion going. I don't get it. What exactly are all of your intentions then? To debate until you don't want to and then tell everyone to stop?
    :doh: You figured me out!

Leave a comment:

• acpell671
    replied
    Bill is a master of what he does. He has had YEARS of experience inside the locker room and in front of the media. Never forget that everything Bill does is calculated to the nth degree.

McD is learning as he goes. He is young and new to being a HC. He is going to make mistakes. Yes, even at this level. All new coaches have to learn media savvy. It will take time. I think that if you watch his pressers and interviews at OTAs, he seems to be making progress as we speak.
    Sorry McSmashie, but this is not an acceptable for a HC to be learning on the job. You criticize Cutler for making rookie mistakes but the difference is he was drafted out of college to be a rookie on this team. Mike Shanahan is responsible for putting Cutler in when he did and it falls on him if Cutler was not ready to start. It is understandable for rookie players to make mistakes, they are here to learn under the tutelage of their coach.

McD was hired to coach this team. If he wasn't ready or qualified, he should have never been hired. He should not even be handling personnel issues, we have a GM for that. A HC making a mistake in front of the camera can have major consequences. I wish I could be as understanding as you, but I expect much more from the HC of my team.

Leave a comment:

• jhns
    replied
    People do not have to come into these threads and debate about Cutler. Why are you complaining about the debates taking place as you all contribute to them? It just doesn't make any sense. Noone is here discussing this on their own. The same people telling us to move on are the same ones keeping the discussion going. I don't get it. What exactly are all of your intentions then? To debate until you don't want to and then tell everyone to stop?

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hockey Guy View Post
    Me too... and I think I am on the opposite side of you on this one, but enough already. He is gone and happy in Chicago, we have draft choices and a happy depth chart. Training camp can't get here soon enough.
    Well said.......

We may have two or more camps on this thing, but when was the last time anything new came out of this debate??? It's not like those who have a position are going to change now, not at least without some new evidence of a significant nature.

But yah.....we move on with an exciting new team, still with a few question marks, but with some new faces that may make us competitive for years to come........ and Jay goes to a team that he wants to play for.

From where I stand, we gain next to nothing rehashing this thing. It's an emotional topic, and I'm sure those of us who are sensitive to it, can find new and creative ways to make our case stand up. What for? It's like the boxer is down and out, and the opponent keeps trying to hit him (......I tried to give the dead horse a break!!).

Leave a comment:

• McSmashie
    replied
    Me too... and I think I am on the opposite side of you on this one, but enough already. He is gone and happy in Chicago, we have draft choices and a happy depth chart. Training camp can't get here soon enough.
    Hey, its cool to be on outside sides. Everyone has their own opinion.

At this point in the off season (post free agenct, post draft, pre-training camp), there is so little stuff to talk about, that we tend to rehash alot of stuff.

Hopefully, with the new OTAs, we will get some info to debate on.

Leave a comment:

• AC1
    replied
    +1

Hope this ends the increasingly pointless debates

Leave a comment:

• Old Hockey Guy
    replied
    Good idea!

Everytime I get out, they pull me back in!

Leave a comment:

• KO8pectate
    replied
    Originally posted by broncobruj View Post
    Link please...
    "The biggest thing was there was conversation that took place, right around free agency," McDaniels said. "In the first day, those conversations never really got too far. The player (Cassel) that was being discussed was traded to another team. We were busy doing a lot of things to improve our football team at that time and then obviously things started to get out and people started to say things. I'm not sure everything's been reported the way it actually went down
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...r-update_N.htm

It seemed to me that that was the way he talked in front of the media as opposed to any personal jab at Jay .

in another instance he also said

"I'm not sure that that's really important for Jay and the Broncos and myself. The big thing now is we have to continue to communicate now going forward to get to a resolution."
    You notice he didnt say the player and the broncos and myself did he ?

and finally all of this occurred after the meeting but here is what Jay said after hearing the rumor but before talking to JMD,Xander , or Bowlen.

Feb 28 the day the story broke

"My understanding at this point is they're trying to trade me," Cutler said this afternoon. "We'll see where I end up at. I liked it here, I liked playing with these guys but obviously they're not going to let me have that opportunity."

"I'm upset. I mean I'm really shocked at this point," he said. "I could see why they want Cassel. I don't know if they think I can't run the system or I don't have the skills for it. I just don't get it. Or if they don't think they can sign me with my next contract. I just don't know what it is. I've heard I'm still on the trading block."
    and then several days later on the Mar 3rd

"I've heard I'm still on the trading block," Cutler said Saturday.

It's not known whether coach Josh McDaniels or general manager Brian Xanders placed the call to Cutler, who could not be reached for comment Monday.

Cook said he has spoken with Xanders, whom he has known for several years, but has never spoken with McDaniels. Cook said he does not believe Cutler has ever requested a trade.

"He did not talk to me about that," Cook said. "I would think if he did request a trade, he would tell me about it. I'm not saying he did or didn't. I'm saying I'm not aware of it."

No one from the Broncos' organization would comment further Monday, instead saying that what McDaniels told The Denver Post on Saturday remains the team's position. McDaniels denied he initiated the trade proposal, telling The Post: "We've received trade calls on a number of players, which is not uncommon this time of the year. I also think the sensitivity of the other trade that was occurring, with my relationship with New England and the whole Cassel thing, I think that stirred the pot even more.

"We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback."

Told of McDaniels' denial, Cutler said, "He's covering his (tracks)."
    From the start before talking to anyone in the organization jay heard a rumor and sent in his agent who was told the rumors were not true and then somehow from someone outside the organization he heard he was still on the block and he chose to believe them without having a face to face with anyone and never even talking to the owner . The first meeting was a week after these comments .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X