McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
    I dont know what you do out in the real world, Andrew, but I know that if I laughed at someone in my job (I work in sales for a Fortune 500 company), I would be in serious trouble. I listen to foolishness all the time and I politely decline.

You never know how the person on the other side of the phone is going to affect your future. But, I call tell you this, if you laugh at them, they will cause problems in your future.

I think this is what Mcd and X did. They listened, they politely declined. That is how you have to act in business. You cant laugh. It just does not happen. And if you do it, you will be out of a job in no time. Because when no one will work with you, you are sunk.
    You don't have to verbally laugh, you just don't entertain the idea. (I play professional sports, currently hurt)
    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

• Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
      It's all on McD for starting this. No one else
      Maybe this is just me getting old, but I feel situations are defined by how you end them. Over the years, Ive learned the "stuff" is going to happen to you. You will never avoid it. Mistakes happen and are generally unintentional.

But it is in your power to correct the situation, even when you are the person "wronged." That is the definition of a leader. You take the situation in hand, you squash it and then you lead.
      sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

So I guess you wouldn't want Dan Marino in his prime. He had losing season and never won a Super Bowl. He's expendable right? No chance, you never trade your franchise QB who has more talent than anyone his age in the NFL
        We didnt have Dan Marino we had Jay Cutler but Dan Marino did make the playoffs right ? he did play in the SB though right ? Is this a joke ?

If that QB acts out publicly on a rumor without talking to the team first then his reaction would explain a lot to a new coach taking over a team that collapsed down the stretch with a 3 game lead .
        "(Touchdowns) are the goal," Orton said. "You can run for as many yards as you want, throw for as many yards as you want, but you have to convert to seven points. I think we're going to be explosive, be dynamic, be versatile."

"Perception is everything in this league, and a lot of times, unless you're a self-promoter, it can become negative," - Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton Army member #83 :logo: :smug:

Comment

They werent going to trade him. They reached out to him over and over and over. Mcd even ate crow and held up the Cutler jersey knowing how people were going to rip him over it.

They made mistakes in handling the situation and the media spin. They tried to fix it. They tried to make amends. Cutler refused to return calls. Even the OWNERS calls. That, in itself, is unforgivable.

No one WANTED to trade Cutler. Cutler forced them to. He embarassed the franchise and the owner. When you embarass your boss and company, you get fired. Simple as that.
          If McD could of gotten Cassel for the patriots, he would of. That's very well documented. He also told Cutler yes you are the man, BUT if we get an offer we like, you're gone. Some people are untouchables and Cutler should of been one of them. If they had told him, hey, people have inquired about you but there is no chance in hell we will trade you because we know we have one of the games best, that would've buried everything and Cutler would still be a bronco. But McD didn't want him and put his hand in the cookie jar
          "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1

Comment

You don't have to verbally laugh, you just don't entertain the idea. (I play professional sports, currently hurt)
            But that is what they did. They listened and declined.

Is your feelings that they shouldnt have even listened? They just should have said no thanks right from the start?

I can see where you are coming from as an athlete. I truly do.

But please try to see where I am coming from as a business person. You HAVE to listen. It isnt possible not to listen. You still decline at the end of the call, but it is etiquette to listen. You just cant avoid it.

Ive been on calls before, completely not paying attention (not that they knew it). People have wasted alot of my time, but you cant not do it. You have to listen. It is just unavoidable.
            sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

I dont know what you do out in the real world, Andrew, but I know that if I laughed at someone in my job (I work in sales for a Fortune 500 company), I would be in serious trouble. I listen to foolishness all the time and I politely decline.

You never know how the person on the other side of the phone is going to affect your future. But, I call tell you this, if you laugh at them, they will cause problems in your future.

I think this is what Mcd and X did. They listened, they politely declined. That is how you have to act in business. You cant laugh. It just does not happen. And if you do it, you will be out of a job in no time. Because when no one will work with you, you are sunk.
              Smash......trouble is, you come from the real world, and what you are saying is so clear to those of us who have worked in business for many years. There is a certain amount of naivety and fantasy world going on here. If people were able to listen in to private calls / meetings, there are probably thousands of amazing stories going on each and every day in the business world that would make the headlines if told. They are between allies and competitors. They are between friends and enemies. They are what makes the business world thrive. It's all about business - revenues, profits, ratings and so on. It's about possibilities. If you shut the door on possibilities your life expectancy in the business world will decrease. And as you very well know, there is an intelligent way to listen and say no.

Comment

• Originally posted by KO8pectate View Post
                We didnt have Dan Marino we had Jay Cutler but Dan Marino did make the playoffs right ? he did play in the SB though right ? Is this a joke ?

If that QB acts out publicly on a rumor without talking to the team first then his reaction would explain a lot to a new coach taking over a team that collapsed down the stretch with a 3 game lead .
                Cutler was the reason we even had a chance to win. You have no idea what players think or what they want from an organization. They want respect, cutler didn't receive his due respect. Also, if Marino had the worst D in the league, he wouldn't have made the playoffs once

Comment

He also told Cutler yes you are the man, BUT if we get an offer we like, you're gone.
                  Thats just business. It isnt personal. Maybe Ive become desensitized to the cut-throat nature of it, I dont know. But I see stuff like that all the time.

Ive seen 30 year VPs bounced out due to personality conflicts. Ive seen way way worse than the Cutler situation.

Many players came out and said "Its a business." You have to treat it that way.
                  sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Some people are untouchables and Cutler should of been one of them.
                    Some people may be more valuable but no one is untouchable.

Comment

Cutler was the reason we even had a chance to win. You have no idea what players think or what they want from an organization. They want respect, cutler didn't receive his due respect. Also, if Marino had the worst D in the league, he wouldn't have made the playoffs once
                      Every employee of every business wants respect. Good luck with that. In the business world (and the NFL is a business), you dont matter, only the logo matters. And if you arent doing what is right for the logo, then you will be gone.
                      sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

But that is what they did. They listened and declined.

Is your feelings that they shouldnt have even listened? They just should have said no thanks right from the start?

I can see where you are coming from as an athlete. I truly do.

But please try to see where I am coming from as a business person. You HAVE to listen. It isnt possible not to listen. You still decline at the end of the call, but it is etiquette to listen. You just cant avoid it.

Ive been on calls before, completely not paying attention (not that they knew it). People have wasted alot of my time, but you cant not do it. You have to listen. It is just unavoidable.
                        You can listen, but they wanted Cassel, they would've accepted the trade if the other teams did. They didn't decline it. They tried to get it done

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          there is an intelligent way to listen and say no.
                          That is probably the best way I have heard anyone describe that. Props to you Can!
                          sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

If McD could of gotten Cassel for the patriots, he would of. That's very well documented. He also told Cutler yes you are the man, BUT if we get an offer we like, you're gone. Some people are untouchables and Cutler should of been one of them. If they had told him, hey, people have inquired about you but there is no chance in hell we will trade you because we know we have one of the games best, that would've buried everything and Cutler would still be a bronco. But McD didn't want him and put his hand in the cookie jar
                            Few people are "untouchables", and even if a person is, if someone offers you the world for them, you should take at least a moment to think about it. That's the real world. That's what Smash is talking about. You have a complicated formula that assesses alternatives, and if you are provided an alternative that is much better for your organization, you consider it. You can still say no, and not feel any remorse for listening. That's called smart.

Comment

Thats just business. It isnt personal. Maybe Ive become desensitized to the cut-throat nature of it, I dont know. But I see stuff like that all the time.

Ive seen 30 year VPs bounced out due to personality conflicts. Ive seen way way worse than the Cutler situation.

Many players came out and said "Its a business." You have to treat it that way.
                              I completely agree, it's a business...what has upset me about this whole situation are the fans that keep calling Cutler a cry baby for having gotten upset by the trade talks. Here is the thing, once things started going south, I saw Cutler as just trying to take care of his own business. The argument can be made both ways. The team was protecting its interests, and Cutler was protecting his. Both sides screwed the pooch on this one. What makes me angry though is how quickly fans turn on a player when he was just taking care of "business"...

Comment

• I WANT WAFFLES! GO BRONCOS

Comment

Working...
                                X