No announcement yet.

McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• None of these acquisitions are expensive when the deals are broken down by the year. For example Buckhalter will earn 2.5 a year and has a good chance to be our starter. We have a lot of bodies to replace and most of these guys are not spectacular but solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigMike05 View Post
      he's building through the draft the players we picked up an free agency are vets we have alot of youth on the team there for leadership
      what he said - great tactics by maccy d if you ask me...

Comment

• Originally posted by AyanBronco View Post
        I know most of you will give instant approval of any move McDaniels makes.

But I'm really trying to make sense of things..

We added:

1. Two RBs
        2. 10mil WR and another WR
        3. 5.3mil Longsnapper
        4. 36 and 30 yr old safeties
        5. Pursuing another LB.

If i'm not mistaken, RB, WR, Longsnapper, and LB isn't exactly part of our glaring needs. With 7 RBs going down and recovering + tatum in the mix, why exactly did we need two RBs?

WIth Bmarsh, ROyal, and Stokely, DJax barely got the ball why did we need two WRs?

What was wrong with Mike Leach? from what I understand he did very well. to pay 5.3 mill for a LS?

Linebackers were one of our better depth positions and new talents coming in with Larsen, Woodyard, Bailey, DJ, and Doom+Moss moving to LB.

I don't mind safeties, but Dawkins is 36, hopefully he can perform.

So what exactly is going on.
        Larsen Woodyard, Bailey, DJ and DOOM + MOSS moving to LB????

Are you serioius? That's the exact defense that needs fixing. First of all, Larsen and Woodyard are yet to prove anything esspecially in a new defense. However they do have upside.

Bailey = hurt too often to count on.

Moss could barely play his own position. It's a complete long shot that he will be able to play in space at LB (He may not be a bronco long).

Doom is good at rushing the passer. But can he play coverage as a LB? Nobody knows yet. Don't knock McDaniels for adding depth on D. Anything helps. Unless you forgot we were pretty bad on that side of the ball in recent years.

Comment

• Originally posted by #1atwaterfan View Post
          i...buckhalter and arrington are just backups, and i hope mcdaniels feels the same way so signing them 1st thing is dumb because we should be focusing on top teir players,especially defensive ones.
          Michael Turner was "just a back-up", too. But he played behind a great RB and didn't have a lot of wear and tear on his body. Even if Buckhalter isn't the next Turner, he's a significant step above any other RB currently on the roster.

wr? not a top need, although i have heard and read only good things about gaffney.
          He picked up an inexpensive, experienced player who knows his offense. How is that bad?

im also very dissapointed with ilb we picked up.dont give all this horse.... about hes good hes just as good, i dont care ilb is the most important position on that side of the ball and mcdaniels signs a guy i never heard of.
          Only a guy with experience in a 3-4 who's had no fewer than 65 tackles per year since his rookie season. Yeah, what could he possibly add?

somebody tell me how signing old guys who on there original teams were 2nd stringers a good move, and dont tell me leadership...
          Yeah, leadership and experience are pretty much worthless when trying to win at...well...anything.

Signing some big money player won't fix all of the problems the Broncos have. Signing some proven talent that plays hard and can mentor the young players and any rookies who make the team can. It's already been said, but look at the teams who continously win: they put a premium on experience, character, and chemistry. They don't put a premium on signing the "next big thing" to appease short-sighted fans.
          Last edited by tat2matt; 02-28-2009, 10:24 AM.

Comment

We added:

1. Two RBs
            3. 5.3mil Longsnapper
            5. Pursuing another LB.

If i'm not mistaken, RB, WR, Longsnapper, and LB isn't exactly part of our glaring needs. With 7 RBs going down and recovering + tatum in the mix, why exactly did we need two RBs?

WIth Bmarsh, ROyal, and Stokely, DJax barely got the ball why did we need two WRs?

What was wrong with Mike Leach? from what I understand he did very well. to pay 5.3 mill for a LS?

Linebackers were one of our better depth positions and new talents coming in with Larsen, Woodyard, Bailey, DJ, and Doom+Moss moving to LB.

we needed two running backs because peyton hillis was the only one on the team thats any good

unless i am mistaken i think d jax is a free agent, we need more depth at WR and gaffney and anderson are both quality slot receivers and i dont know about gaffney but anderson has a great work ethic

leach's only purpose on the team was a a long snapper, useless as a TE maybe the new guy is better as depth, dont know just speculation

we have depth at linebacker? i just dont know what to say to that. we have DJ and Larson. woodyard is too small for a 3-4 and dumervil and moss are suspect at best
            Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
            vs.
            Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
            Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
            First Round Pick TBA

Comment

• The only signing I am not excited about up to this point is Buckhalter. Arrington is a special teams ace and a good situational back. But I dont see Buckhalter as a starting back. I think Hillis is better and so is Torain if he can just stay healthy. I could be wrong and he could be the next Micheal Turner but I just dont see it.

As far as the rest of the signings go Gaffney is a solid reciver to use in a spread formation and knows the system so he is a worthwile pickup.

Hill is leaps and bounds better than anyone we have at safety now as is Dawkins and I am holding my breath hoping that we get him. Even having guys who are just solid and not stellar at Safety will make our Corners look infinitely better.

And as far as Paxton goes he is a guy who McD knows and trusts so of course he wanted to bring him in. Its not like he broke the bank and our special teams definitely needs some improvement so sure why not.

But the most important thing is that these guys all came cheap.
              Draft Clay Matthews Jr.

Comment

• This thing is all coming together.....it is easier to be negative than positive for most people but cmon. Why anyone is surprised by what McD is doing is beyond me. He is doing exactly what New England has done and that is bring in alot of player's and make them compete. Do you all not remember when Brady was not regarded as anything in New England and everyone wanted Bledsoe to remain as the QB? Competition is what it is all about and at first I was not happy at all with the RB deal but after thinking about it, it makes sense. We are not going to be a run heavy team.....we will run a spread offense and use the RB's for screen plays and so on. It will be pass first with short to medium passes to help Jay be more efficient and we will work the running game in and do alot of screen plays.......I see the method to his madness and I like it!!!!

Comment

We added:

1. Two RBs
                  3. 5.3mil Longsnapper
                  5. Pursuing another LB.

We need good RBs. The majority of the RBs we had last season are backup and/or PS guys. McD added a pass catcher guy to play the role that Kevin Faulk did in NE (Arrington), plus he can return kicks. I think Buckhalter is going to beat out Torain for the starting job, but if he doesnt, at least he's a legitimate backup. I'm tired of Selvin Young and Andre Hall.

I like the signign of Andra Davis (ILB). It IS a need dude. We have some OLBs - Woodyard, Moss, and Dumervil. But all we have in the middle is DJ. Now we have a vet who can help plug up the run gaps.

I agree that we wasted money on the long snapper, but he'll actually be a ble to be productive in the depth chart, becuase he can be 3rd string C. Mike Leach was a waste of a spot bc all he did was snap, no TE action. Plus

Love Dawkins if we can get him. I'm OK with Hill, but I hope that Barrett can beat him on in Preseason.

I like WR Gaffney. He can play the 4th WR role so we don't have to rely on D JAX, and when/if Stokely gets injured he can play the slot. I DONT like the David Anderson signing though, but he can beat out the Jacksons probably.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheComeBackKid View Post
                    What I see from Rockdarockies is post hoc and a non sequitur fallacy, essentially, assuming that A caused B because A preceded B when in reality you cannot draw a conclusion based on such irrelevant evidence. For exmple, just because Arizona went to the Super Bowl and J.J. Arrington was on Arizona's team, does not mean he contributed to them getting to the Super Bowl. The Achilles heel of that football team this season was their running game, J.J. Arrington contributed nothing over Edge and Hightower. Same logic applies to Buckhalter, Gaffney and Paxton.

My point is this? You cannot justify making Lonnie Paxton the top priority of free agency! Point blank, we need real solutions and a real plan, not this filling middle of the road players with other middle of the road players. ****, they haven't even done that, they dropped half of our defense and so far have added half of a worthless offense.
                    Why dont we just sign all world players to every position. Give up all of our draft picks.
                    Sign Sean Jones, give up our 1st rounder this year and next for Atogwe, take a mortgage out on the stadium and sign Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, trade whoever we can to the Panthers to get Julius Peppers and Jonathan Stewart, and then we can...

I love it when people on a messageboard know more than people who have made a good living out of running a pro football team.

Love it.

sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• It's quite obvious what is going on. We have new offensive and defensive schemes, especially from the defensive side, considering we are switching to the 3-4. We need to find a BUNCH of players that are better suited for the 3-4. All of these moves were coming ever since we unloaded a bunch of our defensive crap. It appears to me as if they are patching the ILB and secondary through FA, and hopefully we will see the more important positions (NT, OLB) drafted high.

As for the offense, it too is undergoing a scheme change, although admittedly most of the pieces are there. All we needed were a few versatile RB's (Buckhalter and Arrington) and a starting Z (Gaffney). Hopefully we spend our offensive draft picks on a RB and OL depth.
                      sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

• Dear Jay Cutler

Shut up and play freaking game. Stop whinning bout everything to the press and play. The same thing happened to another sports icon in Denver over the summer, Carmelo Anthony. And it worked out better for him in the end. So will you become a vet and a man and just worry bout your play, not about a dang phone call made bc other teams respect your ability. So just shut up and prove your point on the field.

Sorry for the rant but Cutler off the field just acts like a baby. I love him off the field but off he gets on my nerves.

Message to Brian Dawkins: Please teach this kid how to be a team player and a leader b4 its too late.
                        Last edited by Atwnbroncfan; 02-28-2009, 12:57 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• sorry.. but I dont' see him acting like a baby .... definitely not as much as this rant comes across.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                            sorry.. but I dont' see him acting like a baby .... definitely not as much as this rant comes across.
                            This aint the first time hes done this in my opinion.
                            sigpic

Comment

• I love the player Jay Cutler, but sometimes I dont get him. Why would he be mad? It's not like the Broncostried to trade him. Other teams called, and the Broncos said no. Whats the big deal? How can Cutler be mad for other teams mentioning his name

Comment

• Well if the rumors are true about Cutty getting upset, it is not warranted. I think McD wants to stay popular in Denver. Trading Cutler would not help that situation at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X