McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jhns View Post
    Cutler isn't being traded this year. If he has a good year, he will never be traded. McDaniels will go before Cutler. You can quote me on that.
    I agree with you. :salute!:

Comment

• Give McDaniels a chance!

It has been a very embarassing few days for the Bronco organization. I can see where fans are angry and the media is laughing. I can understand why Jay Cutler was hurt and angry and how many feel that McDaniels made a terrible mistake. I get all of that but, to flip out and say you are done being a fan or to think McDaniels needs to go is totally over-reacting!!
      McDaniels had a chance to get the QB he wanted to work with for the next several years.. a QB who knows his system, and obviously is a character guy who has a tremendous upside. If the trade would have gone down, Denver would have had Matt Cassel and possibly a high first round pick by trading Cutler... if that would have happened, I think many would have been praising his brilliance. He took a big gamble and it all blew up in his face but, I don't fault him for wanting a QB who he knows very well and has worked with for years. It is kind of like betting everything you have on a horse.. everything is riding on that bet so, I am sure you would go with a horse you know very well and have won countless times with.. it would be more difficult to gamble everything on a horse you know almost nothing about and don't have that trust with. McDaniels knows what direction he wants to take this franchise in and he wanted Cassel... I see no real problem with that except that it all failed miserably and now he has a big mess to clean up. And then there is Cutler.. again, I have no issue with him being hurt and angry but, he shouldn't have spouted off to the media.. Cutler shares a big responsibility in how everyone is looking at our team right now. Oh, I know many think it is the organizations fault but, all could have been diffused if only Cutler kept it all behind closed doors and acted like everything was ok. I have pride as a Bronco fan and I don't like how all of this looks, and yes, I put some of that blame onto Cutler's shoulders and to not do that is giving this guy a pass for being unprofessional and immature. He just needs to get over it... if he doesn't Denver will have major issues this season. As a Denver fan who plans on sticking it out no matter what, I sincerely hope Cutler shows some maturity and at least outwardly shows that this is squashed.
      Now, we have Marshall who seems to be a suspension waiting to happen... chances are very good Marshall will be suspended for a long period of time.. Marshall is unreliable.. do we really want a head case like that in Denver?
      McDaniel's is trying to change the atmosphere is Denver... he is trying to build a winning team. He is trying to build a team with character and leadership. Denver needs a change... things weren't working and I think it is fair to say alot of the players Shanahan brought in had real character issues. Let's give McDaniels a chance to fix this and see what kind of team he puts on the field this year... give him a chance before everyone freaks out. I think when we look back in a few years we will be happy McDaniels came to Denver.
      My adopted Bronco is Case Keenum

Comment

• Truth be told Jay Cutler warrants two no.1´s franchise tag or not.

Brady Quinn and Shaun Rogers, plus a 3rd is plenty. But don´t forget Jay Cutler may not want to go to the Cleveland Browns. I´m certain there is a clause in his contract, that gives him veto rights, if discontent, or forced into an intolerable situation.
        mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan

Comment

• Nice post. A more objective article from someone outside Denver. He's right that McDaniels needs to be truthful about what happened, and that Bowlen has let this inexperienced coach try to start the patriots of the west. I love the line that at least Shanny didn't betray an excellent player.

The thing that bugs me (and obviously Cutler) about McDaniels is his lame public statement about receiving calls for a lot of players. Just say it how it is, man up, and admit your dumb rookie mistake for trying to mess with this offense. In my mind, Cutler has already proved that he's a solid QB with a bright future. McDaniels has everything to prove: a rookie coach who just whiffed on his first at-bat...
          http://timtebowtime.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by jhns View Post
            I think there is almost no chance that Cutler leaves. They have no choice but to keep him this season. If he plays at all well, and this isn't completely settled by then, McDaniels will be the one that is out the door. You can replace a coach much easier than a QB. Bowlen knows this. Bowlen has shown that he will keep the QB over the coach. I really can't believe he almost let McDaniels trade Cutler in the first place. I have been wondering if he knew everything that was going on.

Of course he knew what was going on. You think a young rookie HC and GM are going to make that big of a move without consulting the "man"? Remember, "the buck stops with me". If Pat Bowlen wasn't in on this then both Xanders and McDaniels are in hot water. It will be interesting to see if the Broncos continue to try and spin this into a Cutler issue knowing that he is pouty and stupid enough to go through the media to air his frustrations. This is a complete manipulation that is based on Cutler being incapable of containing his emotions and worse yet, venting through the media! This isn't the first indication we have received that Josh McDaniels is a control freak and wants people that will accept marching orders and walk a straight line. Reminds me of the day Dan Reeves fired Joe Collier. If you recall, Joe Collier was an OUTSTANDING DC. The problem was, his defense was not part of the team, they were their own team. Defensive players would listen to Collier over Reeves. Reeves fired Collier, not b/c of performance but rather b/c he wanted to have complete control. The defense was good after that, but never the same. Dan Reeves had complete control, but to what benefit? Right now McDaniels is basically doing the same thing but with a player rather than a coach. Ultimately he's going to show guys like Scheffler, Marshall, Royal, and whomever else was upset that Cutler was nearly traded, that he is the coach and that nobody but himself is running the Denver Broncos. In the long run he will get that point across and he will be successful in achieving that mentality. The only question is, will the team be successful in that process. History shows that it has not been successful. Dan Reeves didn't do any better by doing it. Shanahan basically did the same thing with Elway when he thought it would be better for Elway to retire and he start over with Griese. And now we have McD doing the same thing.

Honestly, I think there are only a few things that can be done at this point. You don't want players to think they are bigger than the team. Its obvious that some players are though. If this was a back up linebacker that was making comments in the public would we even be talking about him? He'd be cut within minutes of a public statement like Cutler's! So right now we're stuck. If we trade Cutler we likely set ourselves back 2-3 years, and with all that has transpired we will have to accept less value for him unless teams get in a bidding war. If we keep Cutler you can plan on his ego being an issue and in the long run (new contract) he will "get back" at the Denver Broncos for "betraying" him. Basically a pay me now or pay me later mentality. So to fix this I would suggest Bowlen bring in somebody that is the man. McDaniels doesn't answer to Xanders so bring in someone that he does answer to. The perception that a 32 year old is running a company as large as the Denver Broncos is not going over well, especially when he stepped on his **** two days into the FA period. Bring in Elway or Schottenheimer, or Gruden, or whomever to be the "Buck stops at me, man". So far it is clear that Bowlen doesn't have the ability to be that guy, he admitted as much in his news conference introducing McDaniels.
            Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
            Samuel Johnson

Comment

• Funny joke

Too bad for you that it isn't born in the real world and is nothing more than some Bronco fans wet dream.
              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

• ok JHns.. you're quoted. Your reputation is at stake. hahahahahahahah

the guys at Broncosfreaks made this rumor up. It cought fire. There is no factual information involved. Further debate is a waste and only further fans the flames.

Comment

• Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                  Let's not do this, I started it and I'll end it, silk is an outstanding poster, I was just wondering when and why he's done a 180 on Cutler.......

Fine w/me. I don't - and did not - intend to carry the matter any further.

sigpic
                  They're your teammates, now.
                  Best of luck, TT!
                  ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
                    Dale Carter poor judgment?
                    Brian Griese contract poor judgment?
                    Ihop poor judgment?
                    Nash, Lelie, Foster, Middlebrooks, Moss in the 1st round poor judgment?
                    Giving away Foxworth poor judgment?
                    Travis Henry poor judgment?
                    Big contract to bad knees Walker poor judgment?

Which one best describes the poor judgment you are talking about so I have a reference?
                    Of course those are all examples of poor judgment and there's many more that could be added to it (signing Jake Plummer, drafting Clarett, trading Reggie Hayward). And when Josh McDaniels compiles an impressive winning record, oversees a running game so dominant that teams across the league start to copy it, and wins two championships we'll give him a pass on a few blunders here and there.

The fact that we are actually rummaging through the scrap heap of Shanahan's personnel blunders and can't find one that compares with the stupidity of trading a franchise QB for a career backup, is a pretty damning indictment of McDaniels judgment.

This isn't Bill Belichick that tried to trade Cutler. If it was, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Or Mike Holmgren. Or Bill Cowher. But it's not. It's Josh McDaniels.

Anyone can screw up, and screw up bigtime as well. But as almost anyone who has held a job knows, if you screw up with your first assignment at a new job, people aren't going to be as forgiving as they would be if you screw up after years of being recoginzed as among the best at your job.
                    Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

• Sorry man, McDaniels lost his chance when he didn't give Cutler a chance...
                      http://timtebowtime.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Cutty6006 View Post
                        Just read all the other posts and youll get plenty of info out of those
                        I read some other ones and mostly people are mad because he is *****ing that he may have come up in trade talks but who wouldn't ***** when their job is on the line because a d bag wants to work with his buddy whom I am pretty sure has always been second best
                        :go:

Comment

• Originally posted by !ceman View Post
                          Of course he knew what was going on. You think a young rookie HC and GM are going to make that big of a move without consulting the "man"? Remember, "the buck stops with me". If Pat Bowlen wasn't in on this then both Xanders and McDaniels are in hot water.
                          I'm saying the deal may have never moved along enough that Bowlen needed to know. I don't think the deal was even close to happening. I can guarantee you that McDaniels is now in hot water though. The fact that this got out and is causing exactly what is happening to happen, is enough for them to be in how water now.

Comment

• My initial thought was that if they could coax, Cassel and Detroit's #20 pick out of it then it might lead to a short term gain leading to a Super Bowl run. In the modern NFL it doesn't seem wise to look beyond 2 or maybe 3 seasons.

My next thought is that they need to get together and hash this out man to man, get on the same page and look toward the season. I don't blame the brass for shopping him and I don't blame Cutler for being pissed. Bottom line is that they need to both move on and get ready to play because if I have to sit through another game like that Raider game at Invesco I might just become a cricket fan or something.
                            \

Comment

• Originally posted by AC1 View Post
                              Of course those are all examples of poor judgment and there's many more that could be added to it (signing Jake Plummer, drafting Clarett, trading Reggie Hayward). And when Josh McDaniels compiles an impressive winning record, oversees a running game so dominant that teams across the league start to copy it, and wins two championships we'll give him a pass on a few blunders here and there.

The fact that we are actually rummaging through the scrap heap of Shanahan's personnel blunders and can't find one that compares with the stupidity of trading a franchise QB for a career backup, is a pretty damning indictment of McDaniels judgment.

This isn't Bill Belichick that tried to trade Cutler. If it was, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Or Mike Holmgren. Or Bill Cowher. But it's not. It's Josh McDaniels.

Anyone can screw up, and screw up bigtime as well. But as almost anyone who has held a job knows, if you screw up with your first assignment at a new job, people aren't going to be as forgiving as they would be if you screw up after years of being recoginzed as among the best at your job.
                              Who knows all's well that end's well.

We may all hate trading Cutler, but I will support his right to do it. With Bowlen's consent, he can do whatever he feels needs to get done to get us back into the playoffs.

ONE playoff win in 10 years guys...

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                              J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                              R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

• I still don't see why Cutler has to drop everything and come to Denver, given that it was McDaniels' and Xanders' mess to begin with. Why don't they go to him?

And I still fail to see why Cutler is in the wrong, considering McDaniels lied to him and has continued to lie to him.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X